My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 24 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.13 /5 stars (8 votes)

The Buster duel was good, but I hate how artificial the swordsmen turning is. Especially since that's exactly how Slash was won over. You've got the son there. It'd be pretty easy to have him just run up and tell his father to stop fighting Touma because he's a good man. There, I've written a better story for you in 5 seconds

??legendius powers up? looks exactly the same because no budget

Steals Lion Senki. Pu Ri Mi Tiibu... Dragon. What?! THat said, it's interestig that his chest plate changes depending on what's in the book...

Calibur tease. Tassel tease?

Oh, and the scheming woman is a Kamen Rider? /me marks her with a death flag
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 24 released

Post by Lunagel »

8:11 somehow I don't think "The Chemical Physics of Solid Surface and Heterogeneous Catalysis" is gonna help Touma figure out this berserker book

While I bitch about Saber a lot (A LOT) I do kinda like that it's much more spread out with focus on the secondary/tertiary Riders. While primary focus is definitely on Touma and his bullshit, secondary focus is fairly equally distributed between all the other Riders. However, given the sheer number of other riders, this does mean that pretty much none of them get any *actual* story (or it's cut/put in cash grab extras). Still, I do appreciate them trying something new, even if it's not working.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

I reject that sentiment. It's like saying KyuuRangers had a well balanced cast with distributed characterization because Spada went "mamma mia" again

Let's look at the golden rider of writing Gaim. You'd know things about stuff like Mitsuzane scheming or Jounouchi scheming or Takatora feeling conflicted about using brutal methods because he knows the alternative means the extinction of humanity. This is good distributed characterization.

Here we have... Daishinji... I guess he likes swords still? Buster's got his son and he's a meat head. Ummm??? Rintarou... the organization is his family, which you know since they only say it 2-3 times an episode. This is not a bad episode, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking this is good characterization. This is a series of Riders walking up to Touma, challenging him to a fight, then deciding to side with him when he beats them into submission. Hurray for right through might
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 amThis is a series of Riders walking up to Touma, challenging him to a fight, then deciding to side with him when he beats them into submission. Hurray for right through might
Sounds like the Sengoku period of Japan prior to the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Mighty Action X wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:53 pm
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 amThis is a series of Riders walking up to Touma, challenging him to a fight, then deciding to side with him when he beats them into submission. Hurray for right through might
Sounds like the Sengoku period of Japan prior to the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
Which is ironic since Gaim is basically Kamen Rider going full weeb with a spice of vegetarian.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

So the berserk form is about a story of a boy so lonely that he destroy everything. It resonate with me, I love it. Saber might be among my top Rider in term of gimmick. All the books he used resonate with me and his struggle with the betrayal of his comrade while he was warning them of an inside threat is probably why I like it so much.
Beside, it make me think of Wizard, which I loved despite the huge amount of filler which reduced my enjoyment of the show. Well that and the fact of Koyomi was way underused, apparently because of the actress (which I liked so much I'm even watching a drama she's starring right now raw "Momoiro Anzuiro Sakurairo", which I did only for a few Toku episodes, mainly Kyoryuger and Wizard because I couldn't wait to watch them) was busy with Passpo stuff (which include probably lessons, repetitions and a lot of others things) hence why she wasn't as much presents in Wizard stuffs as the rest of the cast.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Again, proof the show can be not-terrible? The pacing even managed to slow down and let things actually BREATHE for a damned minute, miracle of miracles. If not for how utterly botched the characterization was with the supporting Riders, this would might actually hit as a decent mid-to-late season episode. I'm even getting suspicious of just how much was filmed during what points of Japan's pandemic response, because there are moments that just 'almost' make it feel like the story pacing to a different overall plot. The bit with Master Logos especially, his behavior and wording for things are staying rooted in a very gray area of morality thus far. Buster Dad is barely avoiding death flags for the moment, which is interesting since he seemed so readily slated for them at the start, another difference of plot tone.

Cripes, they might actually make Primitive Dragon a MEANINGFUL power-up at this rate, shock of all shocks! I had thought the use of Brave Dragon with it was something core to its own nature, but if it can use other Wonder Ride Books to piggy-back on, that could have other implications. Though thus far its only been shown using two "main" Rider form books, none of the second or third slot books for the different swordsmen as of yet.

And going back to that bit they had with Daishinji's flashback on the history of the swords, it definitely looks like the Swords of Light and Darkness are actually supposed to be used in concert to reveal their full powers, if just a single swing from both can suddenly knock Primitive Dragon out of henshin. If it wasn't for Toei making such bad choices the way they have with this season up til now, I'd almost consider the bit with Tassel being a red-herring. But they're probably gonna follow through with it, in which case, how the heck and why?

Especially if Smoke-Swordswoman really is the traitor, because its implied she's also the one who ghosted away Sofia, not just the Sword of Darkness. But if she did, how would Tassel have the sword now?
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

Rawr!
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Spoiler
I guess I can only look forward to Reika becoming a Rider now
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Just wanna jump in to say this episode is improving. Out of 100, it improved from 10 to 15.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Wait, what if Master Logos is Touma's father.
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 am Let's look at the golden rider of writing Gaim. You'd know things about stuff like Mitsuzane scheming or Jounouchi scheming or Takatora feeling conflicted about using brutal methods because he knows the alternative means the extinction of humanity. This is good distributed characterization.
Personal dislike for Gaim aside, I just have to disagree there. Gaim is one of the worst examples of handling its big cast. That's the show that got bored of half of its original cast after like 10 episodes and threw in 3 additional Riders after that, who had abysmal to good involvement while also throwing in zack as well. Gaim handled its cast badly and it really only was the Kuota, Mitchi, Kaito, and Takatora show. At least Saber has all of its Riders actually involved in the story and not like 2 arcs behind before they actually come back!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if Ren showing up every episode to act like a petulant child that loves Kento is great examples of characters showing up. But that's probably a low blow. Let's look at Rintarou, ostensibly the second Rider of this series. At this point, he's spent half of the show popping up just to say he loves the organization and then disappearing. Sort of lame

If you don't like Gaim, I don't know how to convince you otherwise of its merits. One thing that did impress me recently with the Jounouchi / Oren spin off was the call back to the episode later on that gave them a mini story. I totally forgot that was there, but clearly they were liked enough not to be forgotten. Gaim's not a perfect show, and with a bigger cast, not every character is going to show up in every episode, but I feel like a lot of the minor characters got more characterization than didn't?

Saber's got a smaller cast, and I'd happily throw away over half of them
fapolo
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

Post by fapolo »

Is it really Tassel? Or is it Kento finally coming back, now as the Dark Purple Kamen Ranger.

If he really is the new Calibur, then Reika is not a bad person...? And she is working with Tassel in a certain degree...?

Otherwise, how would he have that sword? Assuming she is the one that got Calibur sword with the smoke thing.

... also too heroic of an entrance for Kamen Tassel. I was expecting something more flashy, with a little bit of french as well.

...and if it is Kento, I hope they find a new user for the Yellow Kamen Ranger Sword. That suit is great to not be used anymore.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”