Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Sabella? Szabla? Ca va?

Post by takenoko »

Saabera サーベラ

So what is it? I thought it was saber+bella, but I've been told otherwise

I think Luna claimed it was Sabel but it was too similar to Saber so they added an A?

But Jehu e-mailed me and said it should be "Szabla". "It is based on a Polish version of Sabre."

What do you guys think?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Sabella? Szabla? Ca va?

Post by Lunagel »

No offense to the guy, but Polish is not Toei's first thought when coming up with cool foreign words. English, Italian, French, maaaaybe German, but Toei usually doesn't look to non-Romance languages for the simple reason that they want to keep the show accessible. Everyone knows at least the basics of English, which is why it gets used the most.

The word "saber" in Japanese can be done two ways, セイバー (seibaa) the English pronunciation like in the show, and the older サーベル (saaberu), which is a Dutch loan word. I took a listen to the polish szabla and while I admit it could be pronounced サーベラ (saabera), I think a far more likely pronunciation would be サーブラ (saabura).

This is all well and good, but the big deciding factor for me is always going to be what native speakers think. And across multiple fan sites, the consensus was that her name was a derivation of the Dutch loan word, so I'm gonna say definitively it's not Szabla. Personally I was pushing for spelling it Sabela.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

So "Sabera" has gone out the window, I assume?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I mean, it's probably the word Szabla, given that's Polish for Saber, and it matches her sword's style. The fact that it's Saabera instead of Saabura is weird though.

I mean, if they can write Geiz as ゲイツ and Decade as ディケイド, they clearly don't care too much about the katakana matching the romanisation.
Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:35 pm No offense to the guy, but Polish is not Toei's first thought when coming up with cool foreign words.
Kamen Rider Malika says high. And Sigurd. It's clearly the word Szabla though. Especially when you consider how many of the show's Riders are named after swords.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 am
Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:35 pm No offense to the guy, but Polish is not Toei's first thought when coming up with cool foreign words.
Kamen Rider Malika says high. And Sigurd. It's clearly the word Szabla though. Especially when you consider how many of the show's Riders are named after swords.
Malika is Arabic and Sigurd is Germanic, soooo... Still not Polish.
HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 am I mean, if they can write Geiz as ゲイツ and Decade as ディケイド, they clearly don't care too much about the katakana matching the romanisation.
They do match though, that's how you pronounce "decade" in Japanese and you can write z as tsu.
HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 am I mean, it's probably the word Szabla, given that's Polish for Saber, and it matches her sword's style. The fact that it's Saabera instead of Saabura is weird though.
Again, native speakers are going to recognize it as the Dutch loan word. Occam's razor, it's a bastardization of the existing word in Japanese.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

TV-Asashi's page for the character is up now, and it seems they're going with "Sabela".

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/saber/rider/sabela/

Of course, official romanizations aren't always the best at getting the original meaning across, but it's still something to consider.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Kamen Rider Ookalf wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:10 pm TV-Asashi's page for the character is up now, and it seems they're going with "Sabela".

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/saber/rider/sabela/

Of course, official romanizations aren't always the best at getting the original meaning across, but it's still something to consider.
Called it
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

Tsk. They misspelled it. Bella has two l's
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:24 pm Tsk. They misspelled it. Bella has two l's
At this point, I'm pretty sure we have bigger issues about this show to worry about.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

I'm not going to lie. Normally, I have an overinflated sense of conviction in what's correct. But this time, I honestly don't know? If you look up szabela, the hilt for some of those blades look very much like Reika's. The only issue is that her blade is straight while most szabela look like they're curved swords

Luna's point is pretty compelling too. Sabel looks too much like Saber in japanese. So add an a at the end to make it more feminine

I honestly think Sabella is the superior name, but I actually don't feel like that's the intended name from Toei, which is a pity
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

I vote for Sabela now, now that it's already out
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats