My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 26 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.62 /5 stars (13 votes)

So even though Luna wrote her post first, I'm going to write this one before reading hers. (This first post is initially blank until I've seen the episode. I just use it to create a link for the wiki and for the past thread links)

Color me shocked, two good episodes in a row! You've seen me complain about Saber, let's list the things that work:
-Almost everything matters. No filler or dumb comedy beats. Almost every scene exists to serve to progress either story or character. Even Tassel sorta did something
-The fights matter. Like I always say, tokusatsu without story is a very shallow thing. Here, we know who's fighting, but more importantly why they're fighting and how it serves their motivations. Thusly, all the fights have stakes and we care about who wins
-Just good filmmaking in general? Loved a few scenes here. The rain falling as Touma is forced to fight his friend, paralleling with the sadness in his heart. The montage of armageddons plaguing Dr. Strange- I mean Kento. The set of scenes where people purposefully walk toward the camera, all while Touma is on his knees, crestfallen. It's good stuff
-Ren appears in this episode and he doesn't do anything annoying

Also, I guess Sohma Keisuke is revealed to be Master Logos. Was anyone surprised by this?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 26 released

Post by Lunagel »

Literally yelled out "YAYYYY!" when Tassel got disintegrated (I'm sure he'll be back, let me have my small joys)

Was this episode... actually pretty good? Like not just decent, but involving and even made me want to know what happens next week? Did we change head writers or something?

Game of Thrones called, they'd like their set back
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Still the Ghost guy, for both last week and this one. I didn't see Ghost, did he suddenly get good like halfway through that series?
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

I like the fable art as Yuuri mentions the history. The Dark Blade Kurayami is really Soul Edge while Calibur is Nightmare.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Is it just me or does the fable art of Yuuri looked like characters from Final Fantasy. Also, another great episode. If there is something that Fukuda is consistently good at, it is his creation of worlds in the franchise though his storytelling surely needs more improvements.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 pm Color me shocked, two good episodes in a row! You've seen me complain about Saber, let's list the things that work:
-Almost everything matters. No filler or dumb comedy beats. Almost every scene exists to serve to progress either story or character. Even Tassel sorta did something
-The fights matter. Like I always say, tokusatsu without story is a very shallow thing. Here, we know who's fighting, but more importantly why they're fighting and how it serves their motivations. Thusly, all the fights have stakes and we care about who wins
-Just good filmmaking in general? Loved a few scenes here. The rain falling as Touma is forced to fight his friend, paralleling with the sadness in his heart. The montage of armageddons plaguing Dr. Strange- I mean Kento. The set of scenes where people purposefully walk toward the camera, all while Touma is on his knees, crestfallen. It's good stuff
Geez, you're not helping my low self-esteem over my writing skills. 😰
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 pm -Ren appears in this episode and he doesn't do anything annoying
This, however, even I can do better in terms of character writing.
Mighty Action X wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:04 pm Is it just me or does the fable art of Yuuri looked like characters from Final Fantasy. Also, another great episode. If there is something that Fukuda is consistently good at, it is his creation of worlds in the franchise though his storytelling surely needs more improvements.
Yeah it feels like that world-building is his true calling in the writing department.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Geez, you're not helping my low self-esteem over my writing skills.

Sorry! Not sure what I did to be honest though...
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 pm >Geez, you're not helping my low self-esteem over my writing skills.

Sorry! Not sure what I did to be honest though...
It's okay, just that I'm anxious to make good impressions.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

I got Heaven Sent (Doctor Who ep.) vibes from that montage and that made me happy
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

This episode is a brilliant execution of "show, don't tell". It's one thing for Kento to verbally describe the different futures he saw and how many options he tried before coming to this one. It's powerful for sure, but monologuing can be boring at times. There's a time for monologuing and this was definitely not the time for it. Showing the different futures on the other hand? Masterful. It also explains Kento's personality change without having to say why he changed. We all understand the psychological torment he went through. There were futures when he listened to Touma and every time it happened he saw all his friends die along with the world being destroyed. Kento is soooooooooo far down the rabbit hole to have accepted the choice he's making: fighting against his friends and sealing the swords. It's a very lonely path and I hope they let Kento be this way for 5+ episodes. If Touma is able to reverse everything that just happened in the next episode then it cheapens this episode.

Speaking of Touma, that was amazing how they conveyed Touma's anguish without Touma having to explicitly say he's in pain. You can feel the deep resignation of Touma when he transforms and raises his blade towards Kento. Instead of Touma shouting and pleading to work together, he just accepts the reality and makes a choice he never thought he would have to make. The writing and direction hasn't been great this series, but they hit all the right points this episode. I'm literally wanting to gush about an episode of Saber and that by itself is a miracle.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 pm Color me shocked, two good episodes in a row!
And these two were the episodes featuring Sabela. Coincidence? I think not :P

So we see Tassel vanish minutes after we know who he really is. Is that good or bad?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Good episode?
i dunno man this epiisode felt confusing as fuck.

I didn't enjoy it at all.
why is there a kiss on Sabela's Transformation?

I just don't get this episode at all.
I really need to just rewatch this series from episode one again.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Aeikozz wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:35 am Good episode?
i dunno man this epiisode felt confusing as fuck.

I didn't enjoy it at all.
why is there a kiss on Sabela's Transformation?

I just don't get this episode at all.
I really need to just rewatch this series from episode one again.
Technically the kiss was there in the last episode too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's a pun. Konchuu means "bug/insect", but they add another chu which is the Japanese word for "kiss"
https://jisho.org/word/%E3%81%A1%E3%82%85%E3%81%86
FirenOh
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Post by FirenOh »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:50 pm Still the Ghost guy, for both last week and this one. I didn't see Ghost, did he suddenly get good like halfway through that series?
No, in fact he got way worse! Also he was absent for a long swath of the show's run (28-39)
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”