Request to Fix Majinu's name!

Covid Sentai Singleranger
Forum rules

Zenkaiger Wiki Link

< Kiramei | Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger | DonBro >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Runba
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: im back

Request to Fix Majinu's name!

Post by Runba »

It's really bothersome to see "majine" in the subs but it's clearly NU that being said.

I understand the English spelling has the NE, but knowing toei, it was probably a spelling error no one bothered to fix (often you can hear Nu and Ne sounding similar during dialogue)

But Her official name in Japanese has the NU (and the Japanese name is always the canon and official one)
Her speech gimmick uses multiple nu, (nu nu nu maginu)
All the merch says NU
everyone calls her NU

I request that it should be fixed to the official spelling of her name, and not some mistake on Bandai/Toei's part. This is almost as bad as Over-Time's Toqblue naming, and we are better than Over-Time.

I know the current generation of sub watchers don't care, but I'm from the old generation where we prided ourselves on accurate subs. I think this is bad form and a disservice to watchers. Esp when people will think her name is Majine and not Majinu.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: Request to Fix Majinu's name!

Post by msf232 »

As someone said in an episode thread, "ヌ" is often romanized as "ne", so I don't see any problem is Magine's name spelling

If anything, I'd like the other member's names in the subtitles to reflect the official spellings
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Errr... assuming this is a genuine post (some of your claims are a bit over the top and theatrical, don't you think?) Let me explain the reasoning for why I went with Magine over Maginu.

First, is Magine (MAJIINU マジーヌ) a reference to something? Well, the first part is clearly from Magic. We all agree it's a g and not a j, because Japanese is a phonetic language, we'd write Magi even though it's pronounced Maji.

How about the last part? JIINU ジーヌ isn't a word by itself. Nu isn't a native Japanese sound (I think?) so let's see how Japanese use it when placed at the end of a word.

Aubergine (AUUBERUJIINU オーベルジーヌ)
Regine (REJIINU レジ ーヌ)
Simone シモーネ
Antoine アントワーヌ
Fontaine フォンテーヌ

Okay, from experience, I tend to see Japanese use -nu typically to represent foreign names that end in NE. So for once, Toei and I are in agreement. Magine is their made up name and I think we followed the same reasoning to arrive on it. Is there a deeper reference to a specific wizard or mage that I'm unaware of? Maybe, but I don't know if it is!

Yeah, it'd be nice if her name was Maginu to match her nu nu's, but I think it's okay to trust the fans to understand that some words are different in terms of spelling and phonetic spelling. Her name is spelled Magine, but it's pronounced Majinu.

Also, those pics aren't useful since they don't show the English spelling. Unlike this one from the official TV-Asahi page:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

While ヌ (nu) is a normal Japanese sound, it's not common at the end of words except for foreign loan words. At the beginning of words it's very often used like in ぬれる nureru (get wet) or ぬく nuku (to lose).

Chiming in with a few more words-

テリーヌ Terinne
マドレーヌ Madeleine
キュイジーヌ Cuisine
パリジェンヌ Parisienne

Pretty much all the words mentioned have French origins so it's not that the spelling is incorrect, it's that you're pronouncing it as if it's English rather than French.
Runba
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: im back

Post by Runba »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 am
Pretty much all the words mentioned have French origins so it's not that the spelling is incorrect, it's that you're pronouncing it as if it's English rather than French.
So all the voice actors, regular actors, the toys are all wrong?

Clearly her name is Majinu, and that SHOULD BE RESPECTED
but I think it's okay to trust the fans to understand that some words are different in terms of spelling and phonetic spelling. Her name is spelled Magine, but it's pronounced Majinu.

Also, those pics aren't useful since they don't show the English spelling.
i don't remember you guys writing "ALFA" for Alpha when Amazons was airing

I thought you guys were better than Over-Change everyone's name-Time and OoZ.

maybe things were better when KingRanger was here. How you guys have fallen. Used to be the last bastion of REAL translations, now you are just the same as CRUNCHYROLL and other "localizers"

Shame.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

LOL, okay now I'm pretty sure you're being disingenuous. But at least I got to explain my thought process for a translation, so not for naught
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

KingRanger's been gone for 10 years now, find a different way to troll please, it's just sad at this point
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

I know the perfect solution for this argument!

"Omelette du Fromage"

No? No... Well it worked for Dexter.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

To think I'd see a day when people would want TV-Nihon to stay away from the official spelling instead of going for it...
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

At TV-Nihon, we use common sense for our translations not blind acceptance.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

By your logic, Melto from Ryusoulger should've been "Meruto" because "that's how it's spelled". You mention toqblue (ToQ 2gou BTW), or is that "Tokkyuu-"?
You can look no further than the Engines ("Enjin"?) from Go-Onger to see how flawed this logic is: Buson or "Basuon", Birca or "Baruka", Jetras or "Jettorasu", etc.

Romanizing katakana is not as simple as just spelling out the sounds each character makes.

Oh, by the way, you should really stop name-dropping other subbing groups.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

CheetahLynx wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:12 pmOh, by the way, you should really stop name-dropping other subbing groups.
Why? Why would you be so petty as to pretend you live in a bubble where other groups don't exist?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:16 pm
CheetahLynx wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:12 pmOh, by the way, you should really stop name-dropping other subbing groups.
Why? Why would you be so petty as to pretend you live in a bubble where other groups don't exist?
It's not so much that, but the guy's a troll and he's just name-dropping them for the sake of doing so? It's not like the names came up in a natural conversation. I think intent should be factored into it.

Return to “Sentai-Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger”