Super Hero Senki discussion thread

Covid Sentai Singleranger
Forum rules

Zenkaiger Wiki Link

< Kiramei | Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger | DonBro >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Super Hero Senki discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Thought the story of this was fine, but man, I had a real problem when it came to bang the toys together

I thought the story centering around going to story to story while hanging out with a kid who's obviously Ishinomori Shoutarou was cool. Probably weird for Fujioka since he probably knew Ishinomori when he was alive

Noticed an interesting connection between who got which books for the Hakkenden section:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Saber%2BZ ... #Hakkenden

I can only imagine that real life Touma, Kento, and Luna are living in a poly relationship. These scenes were weirdly green screened. You can see the green light reflecting in their hair and giant Kento and Luna was weird and dumb. Touma, real life is way better than the story you had originally. Kento even gets to have a father who's alive. Why give that up?

Liked some of the jokes in this. There's some funny bits. (Noticed Mouri was the writer for this). Like Yatsude being annoyed with Shoutarou for changing his attitude for Mei for instance

Didn't like the nostalgia bait battle. The logos and everyone speeding through their dumb catchphrase made the group battle even more unnatural and harder to follow than usual. I hated it, the distracting logos, and trying to figure out who said what before it moved on to the next person, while also trying to enjoy the fight choreography. If I want to see a bunch of things badly clipped together, I'd just watch a compilation on YouTube

Edit:
What exactly is Mei and Shoutarou's relationship in the external world? Mei's outfit and hair are cute in that scene

I don't remember what happens to Luna at the end of Saber (what a good story right?) Does Touma succeed in saving her?

Asmodeus looks like a monster from Garo

How do you guys feel about some of the meta commentary that Toei is making in this movie? Some lines are almost defensive with the way they justify their own existence
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Re: Super Hero Senki discussion thread

Post by Sonicguy001 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:44 am Wiki

Thought the story of this was fine, but man, I had a real problem when it came to bang the toys together

I thought the story centering around going to story to story while hanging out with a kid who's obviously Ishinomori Shoutarou was cool. Probably weird for Fujioka since he probably knew Ishinomori when he was alive

Noticed an interesting connection between who got which books for the Hakkenden section:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Saber%2BZ ... #Hakkenden

I can only imagine that real life Touma, Kento, and Luna are living in a poly relationship. These scenes were weirdly green screened. You can see the green light reflecting in their hair and giant Kento and Luna was weird and dumb. Touma, real life is way better than the story you had originally. Kento even gets to have a father who's alive. Why give that up?

Liked some of the jokes in this. There's some funny bits. (Noticed Mouri was the writer for this). Like Yatsude being annoyed with Shoutarou for changing his attitude for Mei for instance

Didn't like the nostalgia bait battle. The logos and everyone speeding through their dumb catchphrase made the group battle even more unnatural and harder to follow than usual. I hated it, the distracting logos, and trying to figure out who said what before it moved on to the next person, while also trying to enjoy the fight choreography. If I want to see a bunch of things badly clipped together, I'd just watch a compilation on YouTube

Edit:
What exactly is Mei and Shoutarou's relationship in the external world? Mei's outfit and hair are cute in that scene

I don't remember what happens to Luna at the end of Saber (what a good story right?) Does Touma succeed in saving her?

Asmodeus looks like a monster from Garo

How do you guys feel about some of the meta commentary that Toei is making in this movie? Some lines are almost defensive with the way they justify their own existence
i think, at the end of saber, Luna turned into Wonder Almighty
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Finally, there's a good translation out there.

Does anyone know the significance of the Rider books all being different and all the Sentai books being uniform?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

fartboy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:49 pm Finally, there's a good translation out there.

Does anyone know the significance of the Rider books all being different and all the Sentai books being uniform?
It's simple

Kamen Riders are individuals

Sentai are all conformists

It's a pity they didn't do more work on the Sentai books, since some of the art they did for the Rider book covers were pretty interesting
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

idk a lot of it just felt like Toei slapping themselves on the back going "aren't we great? see how great we are? look at all this great stuff. this is totally what ishinomori shoutarou would have wanted, btw"

Asmodeus's motivations made 0 sense. If you make it so your creator god doesn't create you isn't that a paradox? Why does Saber's world contain Saber's book? When will they let Den-O die already? Why did Chiaki's actor agree to this tiny cameo? Why does Toei not create a sound bank of catchphrases so that they don't have to badly dub their own characters? Why did the first 30 minutes of this movie go absolutely nowhere? Why am I asking you?

It wasn't a horrible movie but some scenes I just stared at and was like I cannot believe that they made this in a pandemic.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:50 pm idk a lot of it just felt like Toei slapping themselves on the back going "aren't we great? see how great we are? look at all this great stuff. this is totally what ishinomori shoutarou would have wanted, btw"
Also the argument "it's still around, so we must be doing something right. Just ignore all those bad series (like Saber and Zenkaiger) that we made"

Having the bad guys be the voice of your critics is cool too: "You keep repeating similar motifs. You're running out of ideas. You guys have jumped the shark!" And not even addressing those criticisms besides "the bad guy said it, so it's not true" is always great writing. (Hated when they did that in the Matrix Resurrections too)

Even though we don't sub Toei stuff anymore, people still ask us to work on movies that come out. No one asked us to sub the Saber/Zenkaiger anniversary disaster that this was XD It's far from unwatchable, but it's hard to get excited when the base point is two lackluster series at best
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Nice. I wasn't sure that you guys were even going to... discuss this one. Thank you for doing so. 8)

These big crossover films always come across to me as things where I shouldn't analyse the story too much and instead just try to enjoy the visual spectacle for what it is; essentially just a flimsy excuse to get a load of bodies on screen and watch them scrap around. This one is no exception. Even then it was a little difficult in places - like takenoko said, the floating logos really distract the eye. I mean, I can appreciate an attempt to help the viewer keep track of who's who when there's so many fighters doing their thing, but then the camera gives you more close-up shots anyway and chances are a lot of people will recognise who they're looking at.

Having said that, it did help me to realise one thing in particular: Kamen Rider Shin shows up during the initial group pose, but then he seems to go missing for the rest of the film - I don't think you see him during the fighting at all. In fact, at 53:29-53:35, when the Riders turn to face the camera, Shin doesn't move a muscle - I suspect that's actually a mannequin. I know I've heard about the Shin suit massively deteriorating over time so it's somewhat understandable but still, poor guy! :lol: I wonder what it would take for them to try and make a new suit if they had to?

Like I said, I shouldn't try to analyse the story too much but I do always have some problems trying to make sense of the overall motives and plot developments; they often feel pulled out of nowhere with little logic behind them. I'm not necessarily opposed to the "we're really all fictional characters" angle, though for me that would make this movie definitively out of continuity with the shows (despite the little set-up teaser at the end of the crossover episodes.) I also realised that in those episodes Reika and Magine formed a cute bond, yet during the brief scene they're together in the movie it's like they don't even recognise each other.

Also a little surprised that Akaranger's actor didn't get a cameo like Ichigou's actor did, since I could've sworn that both were involved in promoting the film.

If TV-N had continued subbing Saber till the end, I would've said in the wrap-up discussion that the criticisms with story/characters/etc are well-deserved, however it always showed imagination and effort with the Riders' forms and powers and so forth - and I do absolutely love it for that! There are certainly some awesome aspects of the show to enjoy, even if they are mostly superficial ones. This movie seems to sum all that up for me: you can look back on the adventure and in retrospect wonder what was the point of it all, but what a ride you had at the time!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:25 am No one asked us to sub the Saber/Zenkaiger anniversary disaster that this was XD It's far from unwatchable, but it's hard to get excited when the base point is two lackluster series at best
And that's exactly why I haven't paid much attention to it and have zero desire to see it. It's a crossover between two uninteresting Toei series. Even if it punches above its weight, it's still going to be dragged down by the source material.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

God. Could you imagine Super Hero Senki, but with Zero-One and Kiramager characters instead?

Also imagine this being made not in covid times. Imagine the cameos we could have had. It's cool to see Owner and Kougami again, and ShinkenGreen, but the rest are just from Zero-One/Kiramager. Kind of a pathetic showing from 50/45 years of shows
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:20 am God. Could you imagine Super Hero Senki, but with Zero-One and Kiramager characters instead?
That would kind of be my dream, really. I don't know if the two series would necessarily mesh together all that well, but they are so much better series (and characters) to draw upon.

(Alas, I'm getting worried that Kiramager may end up becoming the last Sentai series of its kind)
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

Anyone know where this and Ten Gokaiger can be watched without using torrents?
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 pm Sentai are all conformists
Ouch. A bit harsh.
Reversemoon
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Reversemoon »

Overall, a very meh film. A little too metatextual at points for me, but I guess it made sense since Saber was about stories. Would have liked if the Zenkaigers played a bigger role as this felt mostly like a Saber movie with them as cameos.

The thing that got me though, during the big group line ups, was Shin. Anyone else notice that? While everyone else was (probably) an actor in a suit, Shin was definitely a mannequin, and was always slightly tilted. I spent the entirely of the following fight trying to pick him out, but I'm pretty sure he disappeared as soon as the charge started, and he wasn't in the sequence with all the logos. I really want to know the behind the scenes of what went on with Shin in this film.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

fartboy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 pm Sentai are all conformists
Ouch. A bit harsh.
I kid!
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

This grand scale of heroes fighting the villains doesn't suit director Tasaki Ryuuta after all. With respect, this director did what he's capable to make this movie, but his greatest work on heroes fighting the villains are Movie Taisen 2010 and Zi-O: Over Quartzer.

Return to “Sentai-Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger”