DonBrothers 12 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:29 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
60%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 12 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.23 of 5 stars (13 votes)

LOL, what's with the comedy act at Shirokuma Express?

Hey it's Haruka's aunt again

Tarou looks like he's going to die

Awww, Tarou and Sonoi are friends

If a monster attacked Kirara, why did she survive?

Poor Haruka, just a random smack from Tarou

Wow, some body horror shit is happening in that robo gattai. Pretty good!

I enjoyed the robo fight. They made pretty good use of the landscape. The only thing that was off was the finisher. Making a big sword was cool, but the giant peaches that split didn't really add anything

Uhoh, looks like Sonoi and Tarou are breaking up the broship
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 12 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this was a pretty cool episode. a bunch of hints towards some stuff, Inuzuka STILL doesn't know about the rest of the team and vice versa to hilarious effect, a cool mech fight. just solid overall.

also, I love how the season AFTER the "Machine Sentai" technically has more robo members than they did. and even if they ARE reusing the "hey, why did we turn into a giant robot together?! this is weird!" bit that all of the mechs in Zenkaiger did, it still works here.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Kind of surprised Inuzuka didn't learn who they were, just cause I figured the big Gattai would be the time for them to find out. Considering the 6th Ranger can't be too far away, you'd expect him to find out before then.

Who's the new boss at Shirokuma? What happened to the lady Tarou called old? Was she just another worker?

Tired of giant robot fights? Well here's a regular-sized robot fight! And then a giant robot fight taking place in the Tron dimension apparently.

I can't believe they had a character called Kira Kirara and DIDN'T make this the episode to feature Mashinki. On that note, I do kind of wish the monsters had more to do with the shows they represent. This week was Uchuki, the Kyuranger monster. Could you tell?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am This week was Uchuki, the Kyuranger monster. Could you tell?
It's hard to focus on the design when you only briefly look at it before the fighting ensues. In retrospect, Shishi Red was a self proclaimed superstar. The idol association works.

Last episode had a lame ninja otaku. This episode has a creepy idol otaku. Are we going to get a string of more otaku that turn into monsters?

The episode left me thinking that people kinda suck. Tarou's boss' overreacting to the missing senbei was petty. Kira's "fake it till you make it" resolution was disappointing.

Seeing Tarou carry a guy heavier than him looked strange. The way the guy's legs swung makes me suspect it was faked.

It feels like the show is finally done with exposition and ready to get the plot moving.
Gokaimomotaro
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Gokaimomotaro »

This episode was pretty awesome
Gokai avatar change! GOKAIMOMOTARO!!!! Gokaimomotaro.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Of the two shows that they have mashed together: Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka and Nouto - Kami no Kimi - Momoi Taro, this episode concentrated on the first to good effect. In true shoujo manga fashion Haruka cannot find out why her bishounen cafe boss can henshin because he throws a new plot device at her, an obnoxious (to Haruka) idol wannabe coworker, Kira Kilala. Haruka and Momoi find out they have something in common, they don't like her. Momoi disses Kira by saying that her singing is only 25/100. Little does Momoi realize that over the history of Japanese teen idols having a singing ability of 25/100 is not a hindrance. Momoi also points out that the only reason that Haruka's spare uniform is tight around Kira's chest is because Kira is wearing pads (ouch!) which makes me wonder if Momoi can use his "They Live" googles to see through women's shirts and bras? None of these disses phase the Kira Kilala wota, but the manager then brings in the idol that Kira claims is her older sister so that the idol can expose Kira as a liar. How could manager-san do this? Because the idol used to work at his coffee shop! It doesn't get more of a shoujo manga style coincidence than that! Fortunately(?) for Kira-chan she is absorbed by the MOTW. After she is rescued, since the MOTW only eats idols, she now has enough credibility to get signed and debut, thus showing up that stuck up Momoi. So DDLLSM has a happy ending this episode.

In Nouto - Kami no Kimi - Momoi Taro we have Nouto Knight Sonoi have an encounter with the detective who turned into a Jyuto who completely no-sells Sonoi's attack and runs away. This might be leading to the Nouto teaming with the Bishounen Rangers to take on the mutual threat.

They also used a godawful toy commercial to kill the MOTW which seemed out of place for both shows.

So, will Kira-chan start randomly folding origami? Tune in next week!
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Arigomi wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:29 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am This week was Uchuki, the Kyuranger monster. Could you tell?
It's hard to focus on the design when you only briefly look at it before the fighting ensues. In retrospect, Shishi Red was a self proclaimed superstar. The idol association works.
Slightly better association: the MOTW was kidnapping idols, or pop "stars". That links better to the constellation-themed Kyuuranger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess the metaphor holds true in Japanese too? I feel like Japanese wouldn't just call celebrities "stars" the way we do in English, but maybe I'm wrong. Luna???
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Typically "star" isn't used in the same broad sweeping generic sense as English, though it's not uncommon. "Hollywood star" and "pop star" are fairly often used, but most often I hear 人気 (ninki) "popular", 有名 (yuumei) "famous", or ベテラン "veteran".

Star is never used to refer to idols, however, since idol already has the implication of fame.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Nice Debut episode for Don Onitaijin.

Why would an episode of Donbrothers start with a random flashback of the guest character of the week?

Why and how does Zenkaizer Black always successfully avoid her question about his transformation? And why does Haruka let it go? She is clearly curious and adamant to know the answer...

Wow, now they're using sugary pop songs (😑🤨) and cute idols to masquerade the darkness and mystery of the story in Donbrothers? Aren't they trying too hard? And their attempt really isn't successful... They're just avoiding the questions.... And people will ask more questions because of this...

Man.... They are really going too far with the inappropriate jokes in Donbrothers..... I already hate the jokes they make about breasts in Sentai seasons... But this is just too much ... 🤨🧐😠

I support you in your ventures, Haruka... No matter how violent they may be... Cuz the people you get angry at mostly deserve it.

Tarou's colleague didn't even close the zipper of his bag properly after taking the senbei. It's obvious he would get caught. And if the boss didn't notice it then I don't think it's Tarou's fault for snitching on his colleague.

Also, why would the boss put the senbei on display if they're not for everyone to eat? If it's just for himself, why put it on display in front of everyone?

Aww... Now Tarou's getting bullied for doing the right thing.... Again, it's not his fault.... It's his colleague's fault for stealing.... The perspective is not very correct here....

Wow, so now Tarou is coming over at Haruka's place to have dinner. Their bond as companions sure has grown stronger.

I've been wondering. We saw Haruka's house, Shin'ichi's house, Tsuyoshi's house. We know Tsubasa is a fugitive, so no home for the time being. We never saw where Tarou lives. When will they show us Tarou's house or wherever he lives....?

Wait, so Haruka really loves Café Donbura? That's kinda sweet.

Seriously, a girl invites you over to eat and cooks her best dish for you, Tarou... And you criticize her cooking.... Tarou never really was good at socializing, huh? I find it weird that she didn't kick him out right then and there.... Cuz she is literally that kind of a person.

Wait, WHAT?! Tissue?! Wow, if I said they overdid it before.... This is just... Beyond whatever I can express with my words ... How did Tarou even know about that? Disgusting....

Wow, those 3 are too nice to Tarou. Better than what Tarou deserves.... Well, at least they're gathering at the same place like a Sentai....

Oh, poor Tsubasa... I have a feeling that if he gets caught, it will be directly because of Tarou.

Just how far will they keep being rude the poor Haruka? This time with her cooking...

Shin'ichi started with a hard one. He should've started with something like "I can lie" or "I am weak"....

So Tarou WILL die if he tries to lie? That's quite harsh....

Wow, Tarou scored so generously... I would've scored her song even less.....

Well, well... Looks like most people who encounter Tarou just want to kill him....

Jyuuto can't be killed, they say? Interesting....

I like Tarou and Sonoi's friendship. It's charming for both the characters. And the fact that Sonoi can at understand Tarou to some extent somewhat confirms the theory that Tarou might be a Nōto after all.....

Well, looks like Tarou was proven wrong pretty soon.... Her lie became a truth immediately...

Finally, a (almost) full team transformation.... Something is weird, though. They didn't have their sunglasses on when they put the gear in and in the next shot, right before they shot the gun in the air, their sunglasses appeared on their faces out of nowhere. Why did we not see them put on their sunglasses? 🤨🧐

Haruka won't be thrilled when she learns that the puppy is "the fugitive"....

I'm confused. Does messing with their bodies when they are transformed hurt their normal bodies, or not? Cause Tsuyoshi says it's not painful when he's being dismantled to form the Don Onitaijin. But just in the previous episode, he stepped on the caltrops(in his normal ranger form) and needed to get himself treated for it. So is it that the Robotarou forms are an exception?

The Rangers mimicking the animal cries are kinda lame, honestly.... It worked for Tsuyoshi when he did that a few times. But when all 3 of them do it, it's annoying and stupid.

Well, a bird that is not big or fat can only contribute so much in forming such a bulky robot.... The color scheme of Don Onitaijin reminds of the the color scheme of the primary gattai robo in Goseiger. Blue and pink formed the arms and yellow and black formed the legs.

Looks like a lot of their conversations as a team will take place when they form the mech.... Lol. It took them to literally smash together to become like a proper Sentai.... 😂😝

I guess they can name their weapons and attacks randomly since this is their first mech fight.
Why was the UchuuKing randomly saying rhyming words that don't have much to do with each other?

It's good that Haruka gets to stand out in her own way in the mech fight as well. Tsubasa too because he is talking more in this mech fight than usual.

More paradise.... Ok, I didn't expect to hear it in the mech fight....

I have to say, I usually don't pay too much attention to mech fights. But the mech fight in this episode was really good. The CG and battlefield setting was used properly. And I like how much they talked during the mech fight, that actually helped in holding my attention.

Hmm, no matter how rough Tarou is around the edges, he has a heart inside of him.... He even was told to come back to his old job.... And so, order was restored in Tarou's strange life....lol. 😅😝

Well, good for the idol to have turned her lie into a truth. But whatever actually caused her to get her debut, though? I'm confused.... 😶😐😑

This episode had good things like Tarou's bond with Sonoi and his somewhat growth, I guess. And a good mech fight. So not too bad, despite the super annoyingly inappropriate stuff.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:29 pm The only thing that was off was the finisher. Making a big sword was cool, but the giant peaches that split didn't really add anything
Now that you've pointed it out, that peach attack is not as cool as it was intended to be.
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am Who's the new boss at Shirokuma? What happened to the lady Tarou called old? Was she just another worker?
I think it's the first time they showed us their boss. So considering that, the boss isn't new, but he might be a new character to us since we've never seen him before. And what I understood is that the woman in episode 2 was just another worker at Tarou's company and not their boss.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I don't think I was quite as impressed with this episode as everyone else, and that boils down to the idol stuff. I've always found it a bit weird, particularly when the girls look 14. It doesn't help either that they made the guest star in this episode intentionally annoying.:lol:

But hey, at least we now have an idea of just how much Tarou can't lie. It's not just that he doesn't understand the purpose, but he cannot physically do it. It would be nice if we had an explanation as to why, but that's clearly going to be one of those slowly burning season-long plot threads.

And more importantly, we have something resembling a team transformation! It's still a man (dog) down, but that is by far the closest thing we've gotten thus far. And it was exactly as cool as I hoped it would be.

Finally, we have the team robo - and we're presumably moving past whatever that thing is that the Don was driving. Having it start human-sized was a very interesting (and risky) strategy, as it potentially undermines the illusion of its size. While I'm not huge on the design, it was used to very good effect here. And I am very happy to be back to having proper physical robo fights.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:29 pm I enjoyed the robo fight. They made pretty good use of the landscape. The only thing that was off was the finisher. Making a big sword was cool, but the giant peaches that split didn't really add anything
Yeah, that finisher was especially dull. This has been a problem for the entire series, I feel: all of the finishers are over the top in how flashy they are. (And consequently, they take too long as well)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I don't think I was quite as impressed with this episode as everyone else, and that boils down to the idol stuff. I've always found it a bit weird, particularly when the girls look 14.

It doesn't look like the birth year is public, so I don't know how odl she is. But I'm guessing she's around 17 and I wouldn't mind betting that she and Maeda Marina probably tried for the role of Oni Sister but didn't g et it

>But hey, at least we now have an idea of just how much Tarou can't lie

How long until he lies and the fans go "Wait, plot hole!"
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm It doesn't look like the birth year is public, so I don't know how odl she is. But I'm guessing she's around 17 and I wouldn't mind betting that she and Maeda Marina probably tried for the role of Oni Sister but didn't g et it
If by 'she' you mean the girl who played Kilala, Izumi Fuuka, she's actually a voice actress. And from what I learned from the Toei site, this is her first acting role in a live-action series. They also didn't mention anything about her auditioning for Haruka's role (since she is just a VA).
Also, just a reminder, "Maeda Marina" is the character's name. The actress's name is "Katada Hiyori." :|
takenoko wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm How long until he lies and the fans go "Wait, plot hole!"
That might be the Donbrothers summer movie if that counts. Because according to the teaser, Tarou is ok with acting in a movie. He said something like, "Lies and dialogues are two different things." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYB-c1rDDjo
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Maybe I'm overreacting or just missing something here, but I don't like this message of 'it's okay to lie if it might hurt someone else's feelings/plans.'

If anything, lying makes the punishment worse when the truth does come out, which we see when the dude at the delivery company refused to confess to taking the crackers and almost missed his mom's visit.

Also didn't like the idol's entire arc in this episode. She shows up, lies, can't take honest criticism about her song (ironic, considering that she's going to have to take far worse criticisms from her label) lies twice more, gets busted twice more, luckily gets attacked by an idol targeting monster then gets saved and lands her dream job.

What?

In terms of overall writing, this episode is the worst Super Sentai one I've seen over the years.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

FangTrigger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:51 pm Maybe I'm overreacting or just missing something here, but I don't like this message of 'it's okay to lie if it might hurt someone else's feelings/plans.'
Maybe the lesson should be it's okay to lie sometimes or rather, no one needs the brutal honesty 100% of the time. Momoi's problem is that he can just be casually critical and that just made people not want to be around him, leaving him alone and isolated. There's no point in being right if people don't listen to what you have to say. Maybe the real moral should be some level of nuance needed

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”