decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: A better work/fansub/life balance?

Post by decade368990 »

In HK here, we have 14 days annual leave after working at a company for a year. Then we have no pay leave and sick leave. I bet it's pretty much the same system.
Hopkins
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Ultraman Taiga
My boom: Comics by Jack Kirby
Instagram: asteroid_hopkins

Post by Hopkins »

I'm sorry for not being able to give any advice that i'd deem worthy giving—it's soothing though, to know to not be alone with the problem.
oddjob
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ultraman Nexus
Quote: "Giving up" is what kills people.

It is only when a person refuses to give up no matter what that they earn the right of walking down humanity's noble pathway.

Post by oddjob »

Part time is the answer.

When I used to work full time I had a bigger paycheck but no free time.

Now that I'm part time, I got more free time. That helped me to study, to improve myself, what led me to get a better position and better paycheck.

And I never stopped looking after improving my education. Even after finishing my gradutions, I decided to start a undergratuate in a complete different area because I foresee that will be desirable in a near future.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Hey Oddjob, good to hear from you! Feels like a while
oddjob
Humongous

It is only when a person refuses to give up no matter what that they earn the right of walking down humanity's noble pathway.

Post by oddjob »

Hi Take! Thanks! Glad to know that TVN is still alive thanks to you and everyone else!

It's been a while indeed! 10 years maybe?

I miss you guys! I need to get back to irc.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

http://stats.tvnihon.com/

Well, you're still in the running lol
oddjob
Humongous

Post by oddjob »

Man, I can't believe I posted last on October! Time is really flying by!

Thanks for the reply Take!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I know, time is flying. I can't believe it's the end of February already. Hope you're doing well!
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I can fully understand all this, working full time can suck some what, but I never really had any issues when I was doing work full time and fansubbing. At the time of my height with fansubbing roles, I welcomed fansubbing as a distraction from work and a way to unwind, timing had a mellow style effect as it allowed me to zone out. But maintaining that balance between work and personal life can be a burden and can lead to the issues of not wanting to do stuff in the evening.

Now, while Im not active fully anymore in fansubbing, it wasnt as a result of being burned out from it, it was more a case of not wanting to be on a PC after a days work, while I had every intention in the early days of coming back to it, I guess I just got used to having more time in the evening to get back into home cooking and setting up in my own house that I brought. So, I guess I just replaced one hobby with another. Along with running, but that was more of a lunchtime thing than anything else.

Getting that work/life balance right is one of the hardest things to do, if you can, go part-time again and try to get the balance of life back. Or review your role at work, see if you can make changes there to make the balance easier to work with. It probably wont be a quick or easy fix.

I guess we have it quite good in the UK with time off I guess, with my senior level within the company, I get 30 days annual leave off along with 8 bank holidays. So I get more than a month off per year, which really does help with keeping myself sane. Granted I do use some of that time off for running events, but that is just me.

Now here is something that you will find really bizzare, my other half lives out in the countryside and doesnt have a TV or Internet, and you know what, I dont mind that, I actually quite relish spending time there due to those factors, its like a digital detox at times, get away from the digital world and reconnect with nature. It is really good for the soul at times.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

XIII wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:58 pm Now here is something that you will find really bizzare, my other half lives out in the countryside and doesnt have a TV or Internet, and you know what, I dont mind that, I actually quite relish spending time there due to those factors, its like a digital detox at times, get away from the digital world and reconnect with nature. It is really good for the soul at times.
I also want to stay away from the electronic stuff as long as possible. That’s why I leave my home more often, reading design books in a bookstore, walking around a mall until evening, shopping for stuff. I don’t want spend my time in front of my computer in the afternoon.

I still need my phone to search things if I am out on the streets. In the evening, I spend nearly 3 hours on an iPad before showering and going to bed. So the idea to stay away from electronics to repair myself from workaholism doesn’t always maintain fruition. It’s still psychologically poisoning my soul.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I still have my phone while out there, but its just there for anyone that needs to reach me. Shutting off from the digital world is quite hard at times when you have the stuff around you. if you dont have it, you can avoid it.

Camping is good for just getting away from it all, although, if your like me with a terrible back, air beds are not great, so I tend to look for glamping spots, its like camping, except you get a real bed, a blessing with the iffy backs.

As much as we want to be connected, there is also that burning desire to be unconnected and off grid away from everyone. Doing small things to achieve that will make a difference to your day to day life.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Return to “Off Topic”