The Konami exodus - Creators find authoritarian Japanese gaming giant makes life hard for 'ex-Kons'

Super Console Wars: Original Generation
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

The Konami exodus - Creators find authoritarian Japanese gaming giant makes life hard for 'ex-Kons'

Post by TorchWood »

From Nikkei Asian Review:

The Konami exodus
Creators find authoritarian Japanese gaming giant makes life hard for 'ex-Kons'
"You are unfairly discrediting the company." Those words were contained in a letter that Japanese gaming giant Konami sent last fall to Hideo Kojima, the renowned creator of the company's hit "Metal Gear" series.

Konami was referring to an incident that occurred on Sept. 18, 2016, when Kojima appeared at a talk event hosted by Sony Interactive Entertainment at the Tokyo Game Show expo. Kojima, who had already left Konami in December 2015 to set up his own company, Kojima Productions, was asked by a fan if he was involved in the new "Metal Gear" game that Konami announced was in production. "That has nothing to do with me," he said with a wry smile.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: The Konami exodus - Creators find authoritarian Japanese gaming giant makes life hard for 'ex-Kons'

Post by Lunagel »

I'm both hugely mad and highly amused at calling them "ex-Kons"
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: The Konami exodus - Creators find authoritarian Japanese gaming giant makes life hard for 'ex-Kons'

Post by Catastrophe »

It's sad how far Konami has fallen. They've become so out of touch with both developers and fans.

This Kojima thing really baffles me. They bitched and moaned that he hemorrhaged money and time with MSGV and forced him out, leaving it unfinished and now they torment him afterwards when he wants to do his own thing.

They've really bet hard on making money with Pachinko, but with gambling becoming legal in Japan soon I hope this falls on its ass and they fall over.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that stuff made me mad too. I can't believe they treat their former employees like that. It's childish and makes me not want to support them in any of their future work.

Return to “Games”