Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie

Post by decade368990 »

Thanks for the release. I did enjoy the movie overall. I agree with the Dimension part was a bit distracting. My complaint was the edting in the final battle.

The fight between Geki and Tooya shift to the Original Gavan finishing Lizard Doubler, then back to Geki and Tooya. Later, the battle shifted again from Geki and Tooya now to Kai and Shu finishing Witch Kill and Van Zardo, then back to Geki and Tooya.

It didn't overlap very well. The editing could have made Original finishing Lizard Doubler, then shift to Kai and Shu finishing Witch Kill and Van Zardo, and now back to Geki and Tooya for the climax part.
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

Just to point out, takenoko, Ultraman: Toward the Future had the partner killed, instead of becoming the enemy. The monster, Gudis, is a virus-esque being whose disintegrated parts floated and infected things on Earth, which drives the plot of the show.

Well, I'll say one thing. That's most amount of blood, actual graphic blood, I've seen since, well, Shin.
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

Man, Kenji Ohba still kicks ASS, especially for a guy his age.
GarTkEZ
Salami Commander
Favorite series: BLACK/Jetman/AGITO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/Hibiki/Bouken
Favorite Band: Switchfoot
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Adventure Time

Post by GarTkEZ »

There's 2 ways to look at this, at least for me:

Fanboy: ZOMG GAVAN GAVAN GAVAN SHAIDER SHARIVAN ZOMG KICK OUT PRECURE AND GIVE THE SUNDAY 8 30 SLOT TO THE SPACE SHERIFFS ZOMG GURGLEGAAAAH

Objective: The movie was fine, though I have to agree with a lot of people that the editing & pacing felt disjointed, especially near the end.
IKKAN KENJO!
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

Well that was fun for what it was. I haven't seen much of the Metal Heroes series because I haven't been able to find anyone subbing it, but this makes me want to see it even more. It was definitely not a perfect movie but it was good for what it was intended for: a tribute to Gavan's 30th anniversary. I hope this signals a revival of the genre.

Yes the dimension thing was silly, but I feel like it was there to get Geki and Kenji fighting together.

I guess Gokaiger vs. Gavan isn't considered canon since Kenji said it's been 30 years.

Can't wait to see Geki and Kenji again in Super Hero Taisen Z!
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Remember, Gokaiger was set in VS world, where all the team-up Sentai movies take place. All of the other Sentais are set on their own universes, and that applies to Gavan as well.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

Digifiend wrote:Remember, Gokaiger was set in VS world, where all the team-up Sentai movies take place. All of the other Sentais are set on their own universes, and that applies to Gavan as well.
Gokaiger would seem to call that into question, especially with Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle and Goseiger vs. Shinkenger both showing up in the Gokaiger series. It could be some of them still do exist in their own universe, but it seems this is no longer a given.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

It's best to try not to understand toku continuity, it's only a headache; since 9 out of 10 times, Toei doesn't care and/or laughs at the thought.
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I really like it. It was fun for what it was.
although there were some scene that got me questioning about it.
Like the Maku Dimension. I feel like that part was unnecessary.
Also I feel that there was a lack in music in this movie, it just wasn't there.
The only thing I like about this movie was Shaidar, Sharivan and original Gavan. Their scene was the only thing that got my attention they only have such little screen time.
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

Geki, it's your own damn fault Tooya died, because when you came back to Earth you stopped in a field even though you have a perfectly good ship capable of easily flying (or maybe even beaming) to a hospital (and that's assuming the ship doesn't have a sickbay for him to die in.)

The meteor seemed like a huge coincidence It could have been anyone on Earth who has the meteor needed by the bad guys--it's a pretty big coincidence it's the childhood friend of the hero and villain.

Was anyone else wondering if Tooya was going to explode like all the other villains when Geki defeated him?

And I agree that it was stupid for Geki to have never contacted Itsuki and let her believe he's dead. Maybe we were supposed to assume that the space police has some kind of rule about that, but it wouldn't make any sense for them to have such a rule. Not only that, surely he has family on Earth, maybe friends other than Itsuki. I can just imagine his poor mother crying over his grave because he only ever told Itsuki he was alive (under circumstances which precluded her telling anyone else, no less--try telling someone's mother you got a visit from their dead son in an alien spaceship.)

Corrected Tooya misspelling - take
DarkCrusnik
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Band: Team Nekokan
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Ore Ga Unmei Tatakao, Soshti Kati Mesri" -Kenzaki, kamen rider blade

it means: "ill fight fate, and surely win! "
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DarkCrusnik »

DATE AKIRA! XD
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

redfarmer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Remember, Gokaiger was set in VS world, where all the team-up Sentai movies take place. All of the other Sentais are set on their own universes, and that applies to Gavan as well.
Gokaiger would seem to call that into question, especially with Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle and Goseiger vs. Shinkenger both showing up in the Gokaiger series. It could be some of them still do exist in their own universe, but it seems this is no longer a given.
You do understand that Gokaiger Goseiger was a Gokai VS Gosei movie right? So VS world.

Gosei vs Shinken is also set in the VS world.

Gokai is nothing but VS.....
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:OMG KENJI OHBA THE MOVIE CAN START NOW.
And there's the movie distilled to a single sentence. It's just dull all around.

Even the action scenes felt empty for some reason. Perhaps it's because Gavan isn't as gimmicky as Kamen Rider, but regardless it needed something more. More interesting stories for the characters (why do we need Shelly, BTW?), more spectacular fighting, and if Geki is supposed to be Gavan, more Geki being a badass (because he needs to outshine Kenji Ohba).

Also, for anyone mentioning the music, are you listening to the stereo track or the surround track? I was primarily listening to the latter, but flipping to the former for a bit it's much quieter, especially the music.

On a side note, if it wasn't for the Wiki I would have never realized the secretary was the same actress that plays Malshiina. Hot pants or not, she's so normal here.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

I have to admit, some of the action scenes seemed brutal to me, like when tooya hits geki in the arm with his sword, i was a little shocked.
Kuchiri wrote: It felt like it was trying to be a TV series instead of a movie.
Well, if we consider that this may not be only a movie, but maybe a revival of the metal heroes franchise, then yes, i think this movie was kind of a pilot for a possible tv series.
It presents the characters, it sets a few things about them like their relationships, but does not develop them too much. It sets don horror as the real villain of the movie, but the movie does not end with him defeated, but rather, just stopped for the time being. it just ends rather than having a final. i could totally see a tv series set after the movie(altough i would like they do it with a more mature tone than other toku shows, if only yo try to be different)

i actually like don horror in this movie. he really came across as this powerful evil capable of corrupting people to do bad things.

Tooya...really? a cat... your first test was with...a cat......and you are angry because it didn't work? i'm just saying, there is a reason people start with small things. and then small animals. a cat is like step 7 or 8. that's like wanting to invent the car, but without bothering to invent the wheel first...or the engine, for that matter.

i liked that the other 2 sheriffs, while rather bland, weren't jerks with the new guy. one thing is bland, another is unlikably bland.

i liked tooya's outfit. i really like armor designs, and it really comes as alien. not to mention they did not went with a "monster form" and stick with just giving him a suit.

I also liked the fact that they left ambiguous wether gavan and the space police are known fact on earth.

maybe he is from the original show, but why wasn't the director an alien? i mean, i guess he is, but why couldn't give him some vulcan ears or something?
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

So, the new Gavan is an astronaut.

Blood and deaths. It really is a movie for the old fans

Oh, Date-san is a space sheriff. And Geki Violet is one too. Hard to recognize him with that long hair And hey, Malsheena is the secretary. Couldn't recognize her right away without the purple hair and the glasses.

Kotoha looks cute with pink hair

Random thugs were random. They could've created new ones for the movie.

Man, that old man still got it. He's awesome. If only they cast those types in modern toku instead of the pretty faces...

LOL @ the Gavans' yay. And both of them fighting in a road show like performance was pure fan service. The whole Makuu space sequence was very good. It reminded me of a jackie chan movie.

Ah the enemies calling the boss name when they die. Showa at it's best.

They should've updated the armors. Brighton looks cooler than the heroes, even though they didn't put much effort into painting his armor. Just notice how bad it looks in the final battle. The kaijin are also very well designed.

So, in the end it was ok. The fights and the fanservice were good. But the plot was very weak and anyone with half a brain can predict what's going to happen.

It really seems like they were both doing a movie for the older fans while trying to ressurect the sapce sheriffs, even if it's only for movies. Let's hope this revival works and the start doing new metal hero series, be it on the bg screen or in short series for older fans like Akiba.

Return to “Other Projects”