Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 03 released

Post by takenoko »

Heh at Luka manning the mast. The mast of their space vessel shaped like a marine ship!

Why does Marvelous need to be suited up to steer the ship though? Is there a window pane that he's in danger of going through if they stop abruptly or something?

GokaiRed just jumped out and he's still in suit. Did the actor get sick or something for the filming of this episode?

[23:26] <takenoko> ooh
[23:26] <takenoko> x plus x plus x plus v is 35
[23:26] <takenoko> I get things

Haha, Marvelous is pretty fun in this episode

Kai was pretty good in the wise sempai role here. It seems kind of weird to see him still dressed the same way as he was at the end of MagiRanger

Cool, the grunts are Transformers

lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Re: Gokaiger 03 released

Post by lonegamer7 »

Normally, the whole "realize you're not on solid ground so flail in place for a moment before gravity REALLY hits" thing would've been a bit out of place in live-action. BUT Don here actually MAKES IT WORK. I don't know how, but it's maybe part of his charm as being the Butt Monkey of the crew. :mrgreen:

Man, I am SO going have to catch up on Sentai research... :shock: :B
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Great focus on Doc. He was paralyzed by indecision a little more than I expected, but the explanation still makes sense with what we know about the character. Marvelous' spunky attitude was the perfect contrast. He had some great one-liners.

Fantastic to see Kai again, and I didn't even like the character in Magi. He did seem like he had matured. Nice decision to style him the same way from his finale. In general, it was very nostalgic to hear so many of the MagiRanger music and visual cues again. I really got a kick out of Doc shouting "It's a new spell!" when he flipped the phone open. It felt like I was right back in the series.

"Courage... is power?!" Yeah, Doc. You get used to it.

The Black & White changes were cool. Nice to see some of the other colors represented.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

With how red was dragging around green all Doc (right?) needed was a collor and a leash. XD Compared to Doc, Marvelous is exstremely couragous and care free. Great episode nice to see Magi Red, and green's face when he realized who it was.
evel333
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: INTP Architect

Post by evel333 »

I was really hoping for the old "cloak toss." And it seemed to me all Kai did was play catch me and smile a few times. His cryptic answer, while expected with this being only the third episode, was still a let down. Kinda sad hearing Kai say words in the past tense like "had" and "lost." Makes his character seem more weakened and powerless than a venerable sempai.

I know continuity takes a back seat in mash up series like this, but if the super sentai seemingly disappeared after the Great War, then what is Kai doing here? As more alumni make their reprisals, how will the series explain their presence? Are the keys just a mimic or the actual embodiment of each ranger's henshin ability? If the latter, and if the Gokaigers already possess that particular character's color, does that mean we'll never see any of the alumni transform one last time?

If Kai no longer has his Magiranger powers, does that mean he longer has his Magiphone? How will he contact his siblings to meet up for Fantastic Happy Day? (just kidding on that one)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think Star Wars does a pretty good job of showing powerful former warriors as wise guides. He did exactly what he needed to in the episode. He stirred up some nostalgia, but he also realizes that it's not his battle anymore and that the Gokaigers are the current generation

You ask a lot of good questions, and hopefully they'll be answered as the series progresses
NeoStorm

Post by NeoStorm »

evel333 wrote:I was really hoping for the old "cloak toss." And it seemed to me all Kai did was play catch me and smile a few times. His cryptic answer, while expected with this being only the third episode, was still a let down. Kinda sad hearing Kai say words in the past tense like "had" and "lost." Makes his character seem more weakened and powerless than a venerable sempai.

I know continuity takes a back seat in mash up series like this, but if the super sentai seemingly disappeared after the Great War, then what is Kai doing here? As more alumni make their reprisals, how will the series explain their presence? Are the keys just a mimic or the actual embodiment of each ranger's henshin ability? If the latter, and if the Gokaigers already possess that particular character's color, does that mean we'll never see any of the alumni transform one last time?

If Kai no longer has his Magiranger powers, does that mean he longer has his Magiphone? How will he contact his siblings to meet up for Fantastic Happy Day? (just kidding on that one)
Heh, well said there ^^
Kamen Rider Aranu
Mega
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Kizoku Kodomo[Aranu]
Favorite Actor?: Matt Smith
Favorite Band: Alice Cooper
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: "Henshin."

Post by Kamen Rider Aranu »

Now see, this is what I wanted from episode 1.
Spoiler
Gokaigers in other ranger henshins sequences (sp?) A nice homage to Magiranger and also AkaRed's abilities
ImageImage
CJExtreme9889
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Quote: It's time you returned that life to God!!!!!

Post by CJExtreme9889 »

This episode was epic for me, and it's interesting that they are getting new powers even when using other rangers powers. If the series keeps up the pace it's probably going to be the top sentai series for me.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Obviously Captain Marvelous needs the extra power from the suit to steer in three dimensions.

Better question: Why don't they bring out their guns all the time? And for that matter, why not switch off guns/swords before they start fighting, since we know who's handier with what?

...I liked the episode. And the lesson-learning concept. Learning lessons is totally unlike Decade, who learned the same lesson about friends 15 times and then got shot in the face and then more things I don't want to remember.

Makes one wonder what else they'll learn, though....I know one squad what would teach them the value of being humble, living as shadows...what was it?
Spoiler
...except for random expository old ladies.

I feel more should be said of this, at any rate:
Spoiler
+
=

...Reminds me, let's all speculate who this "Mou" everyone swears by is. I think its the seventh ranger, who's also Dengekibikifaizenger.
DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Post by DereklBarona »

I haven't seen Magi(It's on the list, I swear) but even I could tell the nostalgic feel that this episode was going for with all the sounds and callbacks to it. Kai seemed like he was doing pretty much exactly what you need to do when you're a venerable mentor senpai, and the fact that the whole lesson was aimed more towards the wimpy Green than the hotblooded Red actually sold it a bit more for me.

Woulda been nice if Doc had stopped cowering just a bit earlier on than he did, though. I personally think the scene with the boulder would have gone a bit better if he'd had that "calculation image" and told Marvelous to throw the sword down at a specific angle or something, but eh. It was pretty cool when he did step up and make that jump. And yeah, flailing in the air usually doesn't work well in live action, but he pulls it off.

Interesting new trick for Gokai-Ou, too. It's not a straight out change into another mech like people were expecting, but it's not completely half-assed, either. I'm interested in seeing which other mech pieces they've got hiding out in that ship, now.
Gokaifan
Go Go!
Favorite series: gokaiger
Dreamy: Doc
My boom: Japan
Quote: Never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge.

I fight evil wherever it may be... except in dark, scary places.

Post by Gokaifan »

those sugoumin remind me of pokemon :shock: , the noises they make are similair to their names <sugou sugou>
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'd find it funny if the whole 'Master the powers and get the treasure' thing is a ruse to get the Gokaigers to save the world. Granted, the treasure in question is probably something deep and meaningful, but I'm sure the space pirates will get pissed off none the less.
prophetcrw
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Favorite Band: Anberlin
Quote: 'itsumo anata no soba ni iru'

Post by prophetcrw »

Catastrophe wrote:I'd find it funny if the whole 'Master the powers and get the treasure' thing is a ruse to get the Gokaigers to save the world. Granted, the treasure in question is probably something deep and meaningful, but I'm sure the space pirates will get pissed off none the less.
i agree. i'd bet that's how this series goes. but i dont hate the idea. i love the idea of a sentai made up of rogues and pirates who are somewhat selfish and need to learn the qualities of a past sentai team. as it stands now, we're 3 episodes in and the Gokai team is one of the most brutal, hold no punches, shoot first, ask questions later teams of Sentai ever. im not sure this idea of Ranger Keys, Learning from all the previous Sentai, and etc., would've worked any other way with out the team being a group of rogue pirates who are alien to Earth and only know of Sentai because of the Ranger Keys, even then, they didn't know the Ranger Keys were Sentai-related (persay).

I love the potential this series has. I'm not sure I've ever been so excited for a Sentai series since Zyuranger was turned into MMPR.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also calling anniversary series hax. Can't use a Mantan Gun without an Engine Soul, lol.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”