Precure DX 3 released

The cutestest anime ever subbed by a bunch of men.
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Precure DX 3 released

Post by takenoko »

Put simply, this is DX 2 with the Suite girls replacing whoever Tsubomi and Erika were supposed to be in DX 2 but done with less effort.

So they take the girls and split them up in red, blue, and yellow teams. It's kind of an ingenious way of organizing the fight. The down side is that these three battles basically take up all of the movie. DX2 had a sense of progression with the change of scenery and with the characters joining up and parting as they continued on. And while I enjoyed this movie, it really is just one giant battle which left me feeling kind of bored at times.

The mix of animation with the CGI dance sequence definitely makes it look a lot more natural, but I always liked the CGI dance sequences and wouldn't have minded them doing it the old way. With fast cuts, like in action sequences, you don't get the sense of how the movement flows as well. I also kind of wish they saved this for after the end, because I wanted more after it was over and the dance would have been a real nice uplifting way to send them off. Last thing, maybe it's my problem as a translator, but it seems like the dialogue is super repetitive. Someone will say something, then it'll be repeated 3-4 times by various people from different series.

Anyway, nitpicks aside, the movie was gorgeous, and it looked great on my new TV. The extended dance sequence was particularly nice looking.

Edit: Just to comment on the subtitles. So sometimes they put the character name before the dialogue. What I thought was interesting was how ?Splash had totally different names when powered-up. I was surprised that I didn't recognize their character names. Another interesting thing is that they italicized the dialogue for flashbacks. I know some of us here do it too, but I've personally never seen the point of them.

So I'm working on their goodbye section. And they say this will be the last time all these girls gather in a DX in this form. In a way, this is a goodbye to all the girls and their mascot characters and they're internalizing this between the characters with each other. It's a touching moment and kind of hard to watch. I mean, who likes goodbyes?

Lyrics for the opening song/dance:
Spoiler
# k: Shuugou!
# k: MIRAKURU minna kuru!
# k: KIRAKIRA kawaii daishuugou♪
# k: sure go!
# k: KARAFURU WANDAFURU! Inochi ga hana saku REINBOU
# k: PURIKYUA KYUA PURIKYUA
# k: Hoshi ga KIRAmeku sora wo miagereba
# k: a a a a ai☆
# k: Nani ga taisetsu na no ka miete kuru
# k: A ha ha ha high!
# k: PURI PURI PURITII
# k: HAATO KYACCHI!
# k: KYUA KYUA KYUUTIII
# k: 5! go! go!
# k: OORU SUTAA BYUUTIII
# k: SUPURASSHU SUTAA!
# k: KIMERU toki wa, KIMERU yo!
# k: yeah!
# k: Chikyuu wa mawatteru kyou mo kako ni naru earth beat
# k: a ha-!
# k: Daichi ni ne wo hatte yume no tane wo maku heart beat!
# k: Wa ha-!
# k: Hitori hitori zenryoku tsukusu kara
# k: Pa Pa Pa Pa Ra ☆
# k: Minna ga hikari dashite niji ni naru
# k: PURI PURI PURITIII
# k: MAX HEART!
# k: FURESSHU PURIKYUA!
# k: SUIITO SUIITO PURIKYUA♪
# k: Akiramenai makenai
# k: MIRAKURU minna kuru
# k: KARAFURU WANDAFURU! Inochi ga hana saku REINBOU
# k: go! go!
# k: Taisetsu na hito ga iru sore dake de
# k: a a a a ai ☆
# k: Sekai wa fui ni kyuu ni chikaku naru
# k: PURI PURI PURITII
# k: PURI PURITII
# k: KYUA KYUUTIII
# k: KIMERU toki wa, KIMERU yo!
# k: Ibara no kouya demo BARA wa saku deshou!? Itsuka
# k: a ha-!
# k: Hitasura hitamuki ni mae ni susumu dake itsumo!
# k: Wa ha-!
# k: Michi wa kiri-hiraku no ga KOKOROIKI
# k: Pa Pa Pa Pa Ra ☆
# k: Hana mo mi mo aru asu wo tsukurimashou!
# k: PURI PURI PURITIII
# k: PURI PURITIII
# k: KYUA KYUUTIII
# k: Akiramenai makenai
# k: Chikaku ni inakutemo KOKORO wa jiyuu ni tobu yo!
# k: Tagai wo omoi-au shunkan ni tsunagaru KIMOCHI!
# k: KARAFURU WANDAFURU! Inochi ga hana saku REINBOU!
# k: KIRAKIRA shuugou♪ PURIKYUA
# k: go! go!
# k: PURIKYUA KYUA PURIKYUA!
# k: dash sure go!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Precure DX 3 released

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if the ending was that big a deal for me. Seeing as how Suite Precure is still airing, it's not like they were permanently going to gone forever. You knew that they were going to bring Hummy back somehow. And it's not like they came back a few seconds later. There was still the ending song inbetween the two scenes. It was alright to me.

Again, it's not so much a goodbye for the mascots, so much as it is a goodbye to the past Precures. At least so they say.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

As long as you don't take the movie seriously (i.e. expect consequences to last more than a few minutes and/or look for meaningful plot), it's fun. Team Yellow steals the show with all the wacky games they're forced to play through. Team Pink was, unfortunately, boring. Marine injected some humor into Team Blue, but that group irritated me the most. Really, Blue-ish Precures? You won't attack because you're expecting your Pink-ish counterparts to attack first? That's such a distortion of those personalities. Maybe one or two of them would hesitate, but not all of them.

I never realized how short Erika/Marine is. It's amazing to see her lined up with everyone else.

I give the movie points for making the Prism Flower a humongous ball of energy - if it had literally been something the size of a flower, that would have been so silly.

The references to past movies by incorporating the various movie villains was a nice nod. These movies always flirt with breaking the 4th wall, so I half expected the dialogue to blurt that out point blank. In comparison, Blossom and Peach commenting on Suite’s shock at how many Precures there were was a rather subtle reference to how they were the rookies in the other All Star movies. Actually, I love how the other Precures all knew that Kanade and Hibiki were Precure as soon as the "cat" popped up.

My favorite line of the movie is Dream shouting out "21 people!" after that long string of introductions. I'm not sure why, but it cracks me up every time. No wonder this was advertised as the last All Star movie - the transformations and introductions took up 5-6% of the entire run time of the movie. That doesn't even count the stock attack sequences.

I'm not super fond of the Suite uniform designs, but the long skirts they gained at the end were nice. But what was with Heartcatch getting gypped out of extra frills on their uniform at the end? It looked like they were just in their Super Silhouette forms. Guess they did that so they could use the stock footage of Heartcatch Orchestra.

Speaking of footage - there are a couple times when the screen is covered with water from a large wave attack, including once that looks like a fast cut away from a very tall wave. I wonder if this is the theatrical version, which supposedly had cuts to a couple of those Team Blue scenes because of the fear that it was too much of a reminder of the tsunami, or if they added those cut scenes back in for the DVD release.

Just based on the first few minutes of this movie, I felt bewildered all over again why they didn't try to make a second season out of Heartcatch. Not because I dislike Suite - although I do - but it seems like there were a lot of merchandising opportunities they could have exploited that they didn't. I guess I should be happy they didn't try to stretch the story and characterizations merely for commercial purposes, but I am surprised. Anyway, I thought the Heartcatch girls looked really good at the interrupted fashion show. I think it's the only Precure series that consistently showcases different fashion and hairstyles for its main characters.

About knowing that the fairies would be back because Hummy couldn't disappear while Suite is still airing - the entire movie is wildly inconsistent with Suite as a series. I don't think it was better or worse, just inconsistent.

So, I do think it was fun. And that theme song is ridiculously catchy. I can never get it out of my head after hearing even a single verse.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I was also wondering about the cuts to the theatrical version of the movie. I can only assume they added those scenes back in, but if anyone has a more precise answer, I'd certainly be interested in hearing what the differences were, if any.
Funkatron
Infinity

Post by Funkatron »

I actually liked this more than I did DX2 in faxt: DX3 > DX > DX2. I especially liked the teams that were set up. Also I missed Cure Marine.
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

PHurricane wrote:Just based on the first few minutes of this movie, I felt bewildered all over again why they didn't try to make a second season out of Heartcatch. Not because I dislike Suite - although I do - but it seems like there were a lot of merchandising opportunities they could have exploited that they didn't. I guess I should be happy they didn't try to stretch the story and characterizations merely for commercial purposes, but I am surprised.
Amen to that. Not only because I really enjoyed Heartcatch, but an actual Moon Tact or Dark Tact toy would have been brilliant. Hell, at least give us a decent Kokoro Pot that wasn't ruined by the usual LCD Game that Bandai likes to put into its toys so much.

But as for the movie itself, flaws aside, I actually liked this one far more than the original. The introduction was shorter and unlike the previous movies, I think that they balanced out the fighting screen time much better. Speaking of fights, I also enjoyed the splitting up of the girls into their respective colors and Cure Lemon and Rouge pretty much stole the show in the Yellow team.

The thing that I think they did better this movie as opposed to DX2 was the scale of it. Instead of just a giant monster, you have a literal planet eater/black hole/Galactus/Unicron that actually felt like a credible threat.

Regarding the ending, yeah, it was contrived and you knew that the faeries were coming back from the get go, but damn, the emotions were strong enough to make it pretty decent in my opinion.

(Did anyone else find it funny that it is always the entire world that glows with miracle lights instead of just Japan?)
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Yay!!!!

With this i can finally do a little marathon and watch the DX trilogy, i had the other two movies but i haven`t watched them waiting for this one.

I only watched the begining of this one and the 2 things that stroked me the most were Itsuki`s hair (she looked better when she was a boy) and the change in the animation, i understand a different studio does this movies, but certain character designs are a little annoying to watch, specially heartcatch and suite, the former looks taller and the later looks shorter. That and Hummy looks fat, i said it, in suite it looks like a small cat with a big (although full of air...) head, here it looks more like the other fairies, and certainly hummy is the fairy less fairy-ish of all.

Anyways, thanks for the release!!!!
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Last DX Movie? Where'd you hear that from?

I would think since this is Animated that they would KEEP doing DX movies since they are way faster to do than say super sentai or kr.

if that's true then that makes me cry.

Oh and I'm currently loving Suite. I do wish they made a 2nd season to Heartcatch, perhaps they are they could come back with it you know precure could do that. It would make DX4 not have that many more cures, if they came back and did a season 2 of heartcatch.
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Aeikozz wrote:Last DX Movie? Where'd you hear that from?
Well, as far as i know this movie was marketed as the last DX movie, and i haven´t heard of any plans to make DX4, though maybe is still a little early for those....

Even if this is the last DX movie (which wouldn`t surprise me since the number of characters grows exponentially each seson) it doesn`t mean the end for crossover, they could simply go the Vs movies/movie wars route and simply make a crossover betwen the last and current cures.....

PD:Also, now i cannot get the damn intro song out of my head....
TG23
Gabu
Dreamy: Hell Wolf-kun
My boom: Killing You Guys

Post by TG23 »

I felt like Cure Marine got alot of love in this movie. Anyone else get that vibe? Also while I doubt this will be the last combined Precure movie, I can see it being the last for some of the other Precure series. VAs can only do a voice for so long and most of them will have other projects to work on. They will probably start dropping older groups as the years go on. Maybe only keeping the 4 or 5 most current in for each combo movie. Or the next combined movie won't be until we get another group big enough for another combined movie which means maybe 4 or 5 years from now.

Overall I thought the movie was nice. I did feel there was more story in the older two but this one had some nice character moments to replace that. I found myself randomly laughing throughout the movie as well. I liked how it was divided into the First/Leaders, Second/Partners/Original core group, and the Latter/Badass precures. As for the ending I wasn't that surprised that they got back together. Like it was said earlier, Suite is still going so they had to find a way to do it. I was just trying to figure out how. And it makes the most sense for Heart Catch to be the source since their overall theme of flowers went with the "sacred item of choice" in this movie.

And now I feel like watching Heart Catch again.
OMAETACHI, KOROCHU!
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

you know.. Moonlight looks so out of character doing these dances. She probably is the one that stepped in and said look here..no more DX.

Return to “HeartCatch Precure”