ookamiryuujin670
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: GokaiYellow
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Exile
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: The Great Outdoors
Quote: "Dreams tend to be the kind of thing that vanish if you think you can't reach them" - Captain Marvelous
Type: INFP Healer

Re: just watched Hibiki

Post by ookamiryuujin670 »

ReversedSentai wrote: Before Shotaro Ishinomori died, he had a project in mind known as Ongeki Hibiki (I think that's what it was called). However, because of his death, the show never materialized. In 2004, during the time Blade was airing, the producers decided to pick up Ishinomori's project of Ongeki Hibiki again (there were also rumors that their original show for the successor after Blade was cancelled or scrapped). In the end, they slapped the title "Kamen Rider" on it because the costumes resembled (slightly) of a Kamen Rider.

With that in mind, the concept for Hibiki is a completly new different perspective for the Kamen Rider franchise. With all of its previous seasons, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, being really dark-themed, Hibiki takes the Kamen Rider name and makes it more light-hearted in a way. The story starts off really slowly, and we don't see many amazing plots develop. Many people had this problem, including me actually, because they feel that Hibiki is starting too slow and the characters are lacking development. After seeing so much amazing action from Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, which all immediately created big backgrounds for characters, we see almost the complete opposite in Hibiki. There were hintings that the reason that the writer for Hibiki changed midway was because the toys weren't selling because the story itself was lacking.

Like you mentioned, Hibiki is different in many ways.
- The first opening theme song isn't even a song; just an instrumental tune.
- There are constant flashing of kanji on the screens.
- The Riders don't use belts to transform. Some people might say "Look at DiEnd, Gills, and 3G! They don't use belts either!" Yes, that's true, but NO riders in Hibiki used belts. Other shows might not have every rider using a belt, but at least the main rider did.
- They don't use "Henshin" to transform.
- There's an ending theme song. No other Heisei Kamen Rider series, besides Kuuga, has an ending theme song.
Thank you for the explanation, that helps me to understand why Hibiki is so different from my understanding of a Kamen Rider show (although I will admit that I have only seen Decade prior to this). I'm now on episode 36, and all I can say is I feel like punching my screen every time Kiriya comes on. lol but in general I'm actually really liking this show. I'm still trying to understand why so many people hate it so much....
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

ookamiryuujin670 wrote:
ReversedSentai wrote: Before Shotaro Ishinomori died, he had a project in mind known as Ongeki Hibiki (I think that's what it was called). However, because of his death, the show never materialized. In 2004, during the time Blade was airing, the producers decided to pick up Ishinomori's project of Ongeki Hibiki again (there were also rumors that their original show for the successor after Blade was cancelled or scrapped). In the end, they slapped the title "Kamen Rider" on it because the costumes resembled (slightly) of a Kamen Rider.

With that in mind, the concept for Hibiki is a completly new different perspective for the Kamen Rider franchise. With all of its previous seasons, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, being really dark-themed, Hibiki takes the Kamen Rider name and makes it more light-hearted in a way. The story starts off really slowly, and we don't see many amazing plots develop. Many people had this problem, including me actually, because they feel that Hibiki is starting too slow and the characters are lacking development. After seeing so much amazing action from Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, which all immediately created big backgrounds for characters, we see almost the complete opposite in Hibiki. There were hintings that the reason that the writer for Hibiki changed midway was because the toys weren't selling because the story itself was lacking.

Like you mentioned, Hibiki is different in many ways.
- The first opening theme song isn't even a song; just an instrumental tune.
- There are constant flashing of kanji on the screens.
- The Riders don't use belts to transform. Some people might say "Look at DiEnd, Gills, and 3G! They don't use belts either!" Yes, that's true, but NO riders in Hibiki used belts. Other shows might not have every rider using a belt, but at least the main rider did.
- They don't use "Henshin" to transform.
- There's an ending theme song. No other Heisei Kamen Rider series, besides Kuuga, has an ending theme song.
Thank you for the explanation, that helps me to understand why Hibiki is so different from my understanding of a Kamen Rider show (although I will admit that I have only seen Decade prior to this). I'm now on episode 36, and all I can say is I feel like punching my screen every time Kiriya comes on. lol but in general I'm actually really liking this show. I'm still trying to understand why so many people hate it so much....
Like I said, many people disliked Hibiki because it was the complete opposite of what they believed a Kamen Rider show should have been. Darker series prior to Hibiki created high potential for Kamen Rider fans, so seeing a show that wasn't even meant to be a Kamen Rider in the first place to live up the franchise's name made them detest Hibiki. Since you're up to episode 36, it means that you already passed the mark where the director changed. Notice how there were also remarkable differences with the staff changes. Asumu no longer does his narration in the beginning of the show the use of flashing kanji is removed, a opening theme song with vocals is added, and the ending was removed.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Also: the musical aspect of the show is neglected and abused. The transformations no longer have that awe-inspiring ceremony feel, instead being done in the middle of the action with the BGM blaring as loudly as ever.

Plus Armed Hibiki either has Hibiki cutting Makamou down with pillars of fire (Completely adverse to the idea of 'Oni fight with pure sound because nothing else will work' idea introduced earlier) or yelling into a megaphone in the hilt of the sword for finishers.

I have five episodes left as of this post, and I can hardly believe how relieved I am to almost be up to Kabuto, considering how much I enjoyed the show before.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:Also: the musical aspect of the show is neglected and abused. The transformations no longer have that awe-inspiring ceremony feel, instead being done in the middle of the action with the BGM blaring as loudly as ever.

Plus Armed Hibiki either has Hibiki cutting Makamou down with pillars of fire (Completely adverse to the idea of 'Oni fight with pure sound because nothing else will work' idea introduced earlier) or yelling into a megaphone in the hilt of the sword for finishers.

I have five episodes left as of this post, and I can hardly believe how relieved I am to almost be up to Kabuto, considering how much I enjoyed the show before.
because of what you said I now notice that Armed Hibiki doesn't fight with pure sound anymore... I guess his form is too powerful that it can cut down makamou without pure sounds?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I do think of it being an amusing coincidence that Hibiki used a fire sword for a tiny bit in episode 29; I doubt it was meant to be all "Hey guys, foreshadow Hibiki get super-sword!!1" but, it was neat for what it was.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

It's partially something that bugs me because I really liked how the Oni used music as their finishers, but it's mostly me being a continuity nerd. It was established earlier that Makamou can only be destroyed by pure sound, like, nothing else will truly destroy them and they can just reform later, and then we get Armed Saber, a sword that destroys things by lobbing special effects at them, and it works just as well.

See also...
Spoiler
Zanki's former mentor being alluded to during the Summer arc, being referred to specifically as "the previous Zanki," and then her turning up as a character later with the Oni name of "Shuki."

I'll be onto Kabuto soon enough, thankfully. Last episode.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

ReversedSentai wrote:
ookamiryuujin670 wrote:Thank you for the explanation, that helps me to understand why Hibiki is so different from my understanding of a Kamen Rider show (although I will admit that I have only seen Decade prior to this). I'm now on episode 36, and all I can say is I feel like punching my screen every time Kiriya comes on. lol but in general I'm actually really liking this show. I'm still trying to understand why so many people hate it so much....
Like I said, many people disliked Hibiki because it was the complete opposite of what they believed a Kamen Rider show should have been. Darker series prior to Hibiki created high potential for Kamen Rider fans, so seeing a show that wasn't even meant to be a Kamen Rider in the first place to live up the franchise's name made them detest Hibiki. Since you're up to episode 36, it means that you already passed the mark where the director changed. Notice how there were also remarkable differences with the staff changes. Asumu no longer does his narration in the beginning of the show the use of flashing kanji is removed, a opening theme song with vocals is added, and the ending was removed.
In other words, nothing that speaks bad of it as a show. Just small fan gripings.

Instead, when the change comes, a lot of aspects unique to Hibiki was removed, hence the show losing its individuality and uniqueness, and generally making the show more 'mainstream'.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I'm downloading the last 8 episodes and I hear from my friend that the last episode was very bad. Is this true?
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

OOOKaiser wrote:I'm downloading the last 8 episodes and I hear from my friend that the last episode was very bad. Is this true?
Why don't you watch it for yourself and then give your own feelings about it?
Guardian07
Mega

Post by Guardian07 »

OOOKaiser wrote:I'm downloading the last 8 episodes and I hear from my friend that the last episode was very bad. Is this true?
You can form your own opinion about it after you watch it.

What I can tell you is that the final episode was re-written six times, and even after that, what was eventually shot is different from the final script. Yeah, it was a really bad day of filming -___- .

OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

just watched the last episode and it was okay... I didn't like how Asumu just left Hibiki like that. He should have continued to train as a Oni and become one even though Kyosuke became likeable near the last episode I just didn't like him as an Oni. I heard Kyosuke's Oni suit was a mixture of Asumu and Kyosuke's Oni suit but since Asumu didn't become an Oni I guess they used his suit for Kyosukes.
Guardian07
Mega

Post by Guardian07 »

I myself am pretty neutral about the ending, except on one thing.

I HATE how the villains ended up in the final episode. It was total BS. Mitsu Murata was right to be thoroughly upset about how his character was handled.

Icingdeth
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Gundam, Tokusatsu
Quote: One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth. ~ Char Aznable
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Icingdeth »

I just finished the show and I have to say that I LOVED the first half when it was so unique. So what if it wasn't meant to be a Kamen Rider, the first half was great.

The fact that the director had to be changed because the toys weren't selling is just plain stupid IMO.

The biggest problem that I had with staff change was that the last episode just didn't feel like a proper ending what with those two that showed up right before the credits.

Return to “Kamen Rider Hibiki”