| HJU | Facebook | Stage48 | Tumblr |
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Re: What do you think of Dekaranger

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Fobo911 wrote:
jolly_old_saint wrote: I'm surprised anyone can look at her without hearing a loud "JASMINE IS AN ESPER...."
Haha, one of my favorite moments was "Umeko is not an ESPer. So when she touches him, she senses nothing."

I liked the episodic characteristic of this series and the fact that the main villain was always in hiding, sending criminal after criminal to wreak havoc on the region. It fit the series theme well. I loved the music; it's the only Sentai show (so far) where I just sat through the OP and ED on nearly every episode and even sang along with at times.

The characterization was pretty good as well. I particularly like the Hoji episodes for some reason; it was probably "Hard Boiled License" (Episode 37) that really got to me since that was pretty much a touching episode with nice music and a sad ending (I always think Hoji's getting screwed over with bad luck since they killed his best friend who turned evil, and now he loses the love of his life for justice). Everyone got their piece of characterization throughout the series, and I enjoyed the blend of drama and comedy present.

Whenever I think of this series, I think of "badass." The mecha were great, and I absolutely loved the roll call. It was like hearing the rangers saying, "One! I will... kick your ass! Two! I will... also kick your ass!" and so on. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the increased intensity of that roll call during the Dekaranger movie. If I wanted to be part of a roll call for a Sentai team, it would be this one. And I think DekaMaster is a great example of "badass," just behind AbareKiller. The voice of DekaMaster during his roll call has me thinking, "IT'S OVER 9000!!!" every time.

I got annoyed of the narrator at times since he basically speaks in like every episode, but I suppose there's no way out of it since there would be awkward silences when Sen does his thinking pose or Jasmine does her ESPer rituals.

So yeah... Dekaranger = badass for me.
I agree, Dekaranger = badass. its one of my favorite Sentai programs because it had excellent balance of action, drama, and humor. although the narrator guy having to remind people of stuff they should already know about 10 episodes into the show can get rather annoying. like each time Jasmine did her thing, the narrator had to remind people of Jasmine's abilities, and each time he did that I was like 'Yeah that's been established!'

the monster designs were excellent, the Mechas were top notch, and the stories, from the first episode to the very last, every single one was absolutely wonderful, and I wish all Sentai programs could be just as good as Deka. plus, both the opening theme and the closing theme were fantastic.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Dekaranger defiantly one of my favorites. Absolutely loved that the Alienizers were just criminals, that alone gave them more personality than your average monster of the week, add to that a main villain who really was a secondary until the later half of the series. Agent Abrella had no interest in ruling worlds, he was only interested in making money just like any good arms dealer. Also liked that we got Kaijuki instead of just DaiKaiju, which we really haven't gotten since Bioman.

The Ranger's themselves were well cast to, they really seemed to work well off of each other. I'd say the only thing I really didn't like was the way SWAT Mode was used in the series, Swat supposed to be more of a team working together, instead they treat it more like a first person shooter, kinda ignoring the Tactics and running in gun's blazing. Despite that minor gripe this is an amazing series, very enjoyable.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Shinken Red
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Go-busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka/GokaiYellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Foo Fighters
My boom: Akibaranger

Post by Shinken Red »

Finally gotten around to watch it (thanks TV Nihon), and now it's my 2nd fave series after Shinkenger. Having eye candies like Jasmine and Umeko really helped as well. :D I don't see how anyone can say PR: SPD is better than Dekaranger.
Red Dragon
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Red Dragon »

I can't download episode 41 for some reason, I could get the rest but 41 doesn't work for me
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Battra wrote:Dekaranger defiantly one of my favorites. Absolutely loved that the Alienizers were just criminals, that alone gave them more personality than your average monster of the week, add to that a main villain who really was a secondary until the later half of the series. Agent Abrella had no interest in ruling worlds, he was only interested in making money just like any good arms dealer. Also liked that we got Kaijuki instead of just DaiKaiju, which we really haven't gotten since Bioman.

The Ranger's themselves were well cast to, they really seemed to work well off of each other. I'd say the only thing I really didn't like was the way SWAT Mode was used in the series, Swat supposed to be more of a team working together, instead they treat it more like a first person shooter, kinda ignoring the Tactics and running in gun's blazing. Despite that minor gripe this is an amazing series, very enjoyable.
I agree about Agent Abrella... he provided an interesting twist, in that he remained in the shadows for the most part, making deals with the various Alienizer criminals, and was essentially a business man, very cool stuff. and I also liked how not all of the monster of the week Alienizers grew into giants, many of them controlled giant Mechas, which I thought was pretty awesome.
redwhitesentai
7X
Favorite series: boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: dekaranger
Dreamy: bouken pink
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: hmm.. I'll think about it
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by redwhitesentai »

Deka is my first sentai I watched as adult. the series is great for its comedic even to parodic level humour. the casting is solid, and lots of creativity, Doggie etc. love the female cast, they are 'classy'.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

DekaMaster/ Doggie is amazing character. I did like the show a lot, but he was what really made it for me.
rubius
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Lupinranger vs. Patranger
Dreamy: Patren Sango/Magine
Favorite Actor?: N/A
Favorite Band: Rider Girls/Chips

Post by rubius »

not bad, sorry to say my first super sentai was shinkenger after watching kamen rider decade but anyway, i think that kruger in dekaranger looks more from a cartoon than the kruger from S.P.D. i mean if dekaranger used the spd version of kruger also it'd be another story.
Finished Shows
Kamen Rider:Heisei Riders - Saber
Super Sentai: From Zyuranger to Kiramager
Other: Justirizer, Rescue Force/Fire

Haven't watched a Tokusatsu I didn't like :mrgreen:
triple_lei
Adventure
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger
Dreamy: BoukenPink
My boom: Persona series

Post by triple_lei »

Just finished the series right now (except for the Abaranger crossover).

Excellent all around. I really like how it breaks with convention in a lot of places and I never could get tired of Ban's screaming voice... and I dunno about you but I really like main ED!

Next up for me: Magiranger.
xSentaiJourney
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger,Boukenger
Dreamy: Satoru Akashi
Favorite Actor?: Tori Matsuzaka
Favorite Band: don't have
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Japan,Sentai Series,
Quote: 36 years of justice!And the story continues...!

Post by xSentaiJourney »

One of my favourite sentai series... ^^ Just awesome...! :3
36 years of justice!And the story continues...!
Glutinus
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Dream team : GokaiYellow (Luka), DekaGreen (Sen-Chan), ShinkenBlue (Ryunosuke), BoukenPink (Sakura). Red is vacant :)

Post by Glutinus »

Just finished Dekaranger last minute. It is a really amazing show ! At the beginning I thought it was a pure action-oriented, and I hate si-fi show very classic. So the first episode did not impress me. However, just the few ones that were following were so good, especially the first Jasmine + Sen-Chan combination. It is really well-balanced with moments of humor, pure action and character developement in almost each episode. Some episodes are dark, especially Hoji's one, nearer Roman Noir. Umeko's episodes are more oriented humor. Finally the science-fiction aspect are just beyond the police and detective show.

Something that I dislike in Sentai are mecha battles because for me the situations is just a second fight. In Dekaranger (like in current Go-Busters show) the mecha battle is more logical ; and it can occur whenever, in the beginning of an episode or in the middle (and of course sometimes in its end).

I really like the position of Tetsu the sixth ranger ; he is very powerful and have so much to learn. I always feel bad with sixth rangers because their power generally overhelm the Five team, but in Dekaranger his techniques just complete.

And what to say about Dekamaster, Dekaswan and Dekabright ? A show with a seventh ranger, a Big Daddy Badass that whipes everything !

Well, one my favorite Sentai I guess.

EDIT :

Oh, and I forgot the two last episodes. Every member using his specialty to get rid off the three new generals : Jasmine's Esper, Sen-Chan's thinking pose, Hoji's Pinpoint shotting assault, Ban... yelling as he run and Umeko's, hum, ... bathing ?

And if I have just one sentence to synthetise all this show : "Doggie IS THE BOSS"

Fav Sentai 1st : Gokai, Deka, Bouken, Go-Busters, Kyuu, Shinken, Gosei, Gao.
Fav KR 1st : OOO, W, Kiva, Gaim, Drive, Fourze, Den-O20*, Wizard, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Fav Garo 1st : Yami, Senki, Hana, Garo, Zero
* currently watching.

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”