XerBlade
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Faiz
Dreamy: Tatsulot
Favorite Actor?: Ishida Akira
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Kamen Rider Meteorologist! I will decide your forecast!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 07 released

Post by XerBlade »

I had mixed feelings over this one, but I liked it overall. It didn't really feel like filler to me any more than, well, the majority of other episodes from, like, every toku ever, Garo included.

Secondary Rider Takerugai's fit at the end didn't really feel out of place at all to me, rather it felt perfectly in character for how he has been built up, however, it didn't really stir the heartstrings like I'm sure it was intended to, which was due far less with how ridiculous it might have seemed to some people and far more to do with how terrible his acting is.

Well, let me back up a bit.

I've got these strange mixed up feelings here about why Takegai decided to take special interest in the teenage girl. Was it because the way to his heart is through his stomach, or was it because she was the emo one of the bunch and that somehow resonated with him? Actually, from the look on his face when he first saw hers, I'm leaning more toward the 2nd.

Speaking of which, why was he suddenly sharing a meal with this random family again? Oh, never mind....

I personally still liked Ryuga's golden explosion stuff this time. Why exactly is it getting forced and excessive somehow? I mean, for one thing, this is only the 2nd time it's even happened.... By toku standards that level of non-repitition through this many episodes is practically a miracle in itself. And this time had quite some key differences, like Ryuga trying to figure them out instead of just plain freaking out, for one obvious thing. I don't really get much feeling they're going to overuse that. I doubt it will happen very more times, and when it does for the most part it should mainly just be him struggling against them with less focus on the visions, except for in the case of maybe the last time, if this follows standard toku formulas at all (which Garo tends to do).

Takegai's Rider form was pretty cool (doesn't really seem to fit him, but hey, Garo series armors almost never do). And seeing him fighting together with Ryuga was nice... or would be pretty cool if not for the horrors being so dang pathetic as to make it seem unnecessary (is it just me, or do the horrors from this series seem like fake posers compared to the horrors from the first 2? [and that Predator Reaper mouth thing was already old after the first time I saw it]).

OOOKaiser wrote:Having three Makai Knights for this show is pretty bad since it only has 26 episodes. I mean there's not really much you can do to develop their characters within such a short time. But I'll continue to watch the series to see how well they do with the characters. I'm also hoping to see Ryuga develop more. The arrow guy I want to see more too and for Takeru/Zen the Flame Sword Knight I just don't like him since I'm more used to him as Gai/Gokai Silver.
Are you serious? It's normal for a Japanese show with half as many episodes and twice as many characters to still get plenty of character development in on all of them.

I love how you said Rider instead of Knight but yeah the second knight did have a tragic episode about a school girl although it ended pretty well.
It ended with her only family dying and her crying alone and cursing the world, but I suppose he saved her at least.
Watching
Kamen Rider: Saber

Complete
Kamen Rider: All Black and later
Sentai: Shinkenger,Gokaiger,Magic Kaito VS Detective Conan
Garo: All
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Yeah I'm a little mixed with this episode. There was some good and there were a lot of random stuff. The sex scene was not necessary and I felt like the chick had an orgasm from Gai licking her legs. Licking her legs was not necessary either. The Horrors still have no personality and motives for themselves unlike the ones in the past (Season One) and their designs are all the same. Then those two Horror chicks kissed each other before they died. Odd. Lastly, Ryuuga is too bland for me. I am not feeling his character at all. It didn't take too long for Kouga to become badass back then. For the good parts, the action was still good, Gai's armor looks pretty cool and we got to see some tag team Armor CGI action. Something tells me we won't see the 99.9 seconds timer at all in this series. I did start to worry for the family's well-being in the end but too bad they still weren't saved. What a plot twist.
TNT
7X

Post by TNT »

I'm mixed about this ep as well.
Things I liked. I finally know Takeru's name. I suck at names, having them introduced in an episode doesn't work for me. In order to remember them they need to have some impact otherwise it will not stick. Now, if only I knew arrow guys name.
I really liked the unarmored fight scenes, and I was amused by the armored fightscenes. :)
I liked the voice distortion, but they shouldve kept with it. Though one o fthe girls sounded like a chipmunk.
I really liked the emo girls acting towards the end, she was flipping out. :)
Like Xerblade, I liked the golden explosions. Mostly because it currently feels like they are just teasing you. :)

I don't care about the sex, it's starting to feel like they are just trying to get the most out of their timeframe. On the other hand...boobs! :shock: Can't go wrong with that.
You know, this is one of the reasons why I really liked the episode where the woman horror fought naked, to me it's a much more logical use of the "nakedness is allowed". It's a monster, it doesn't care if it's naked or not.
When the two women kissed I probably had a big question mark above my head. It didn't fit, it accomplished nothing. Not a major distraction, but still.
As someone else before me already said, the masks are so so so so so bad it's distracting. The security guard looking guy didn't even have it fit on his head. You could see the seams and his hair. :? Who is doing the make up there, someone's blind grandma?
Like Xerblade said, why was Takeru suddenly eating with the family?

I am torn on Takeru's reaction at the end. On the one hand on the first wail I did feel for him. He tried so hard to save them. However, on the second, third, fourth, grabbing of the cards, stumbling in the background, fifth, sixth etc I just got really really annoyed.

Somehow it feels like this episode would have worked better if it was two episodes. The problem is that I don't think you can stretch this particular story into two eps. Maybe as a side story?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I suck at names, having them introduced in an episode doesn't work for me. In order to remember them they need to have some impact otherwise it will not stick. Now, if only I knew arrow guys name.

Yeah, I'm not doing too great with the names either for this series, and I'm translating the thing. Bow guy is Aguri, sort of like a more-Japanese spelling for Agri from Goseiger.

>You know, this is one of the reasons why I really liked the episode where the woman horror fought naked, to me it's a much more logical use of the "nakedness is allowed". It's a monster, it doesn't care if it's naked or not.

Plus in that episode, the sex was the trap. The kissing is just "here's something visually striking" but it would have been nice if it were incorporated into the broader story/moment. Like you said, it happens so randomly that it takes you out of it for a moment. Takeru's scene with the naked lady makes more sense, now that I think about it. As someone said, he's a womanizer, but at the end of it, he doesn't seem very happy about what he's done. At least, he's not as happy about it as the woman. He's done so many women that it's not a significant act for him. Maybe he'll be more happy with his teenage girlfriend?

>Like Xerblade said, why was Takeru suddenly eating with the family?

Because... story? I agree, Takeru doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who would hang out with a family. It's sort of a personality u turn. Acting like chums with random strangers is more of a Ryuuga thing.

>Somehow it feels like this episode would have worked better if it was two episodes. The problem is that I don't think you can stretch this particular story into two eps. Maybe as a side story?

Nah, it was fine for being a single arc in an episode. This is the "tragic episode" or the "second Rider episode" where someone something bad happens to make you feel for the second Rider who isn't as good at saving people as the main Rider. I mean, it's a good tragic story about the family, but I wish it had smoothed out some of the edges and maybe integrated Takeru in a better way. Is he a thug or is he a secret nice guy in disguise?

The fact that it has garnered so much discussion probably means it's more successful than I initially gave it credit for. I have to admit, it's a fascinating episode, even if I didn't feel like I enjoyed it as much as I could have.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

takenoko wrote:>Like Xerblade said, why was Takeru suddenly eating with the family?

Because... story? I agree, Takeru doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who would hang out with a family. It's sort of a personality u turn. Acting like chums with random strangers is more of a Ryuuga thing.
I suppose he was doing undercover work with Rian, since it seemed obvious that they were already on to the horror and were trying to get close to him.
TNT
7X

Post by TNT »

takenoko wrote:>I suck at names, having them introduced in an episode doesn't work for me. In order to remember them they need to have some impact otherwise it will not stick. Now, if only I knew arrow guys name.

Yeah, I'm not doing too great with the names either for this series, and I'm translating the thing. Bow guy is Aguri, sort of like a more-Japanese spelling for Agri from Goseiger.

>You know, this is one of the reasons why I really liked the episode where the woman horror fought naked, to me it's a much more logical use of the "nakedness is allowed". It's a monster, it doesn't care if it's naked or not.

Plus in that episode, the sex was the trap. The kissing is just "here's something visually striking" but it would have been nice if it were incorporated into the broader story/moment. Like you said, it happens so randomly that it takes you out of it for a moment. Takeru's scene with the naked lady makes more sense, now that I think about it. As someone said, he's a womanizer, but at the end of it, he doesn't seem very happy about what he's done. At least, he's not as happy about it as the woman. He's done so many women that it's not a significant act for him. Maybe he'll be more happy with his teenage girlfriend?

>Like Xerblade said, why was Takeru suddenly eating with the family?

>Somehow it feels like this episode would have worked better if it was two episodes. The problem is that I don't think you can stretch this particular story into two eps. Maybe as a side story?

Nah, it was fine for being a single arc in an episode. This is the "tragic episode" or the "second Rider episode" where someone something bad happens to make you feel for the second Rider who isn't as good at saving people as the main Rider. I mean, it's a good tragic story about the family, but I wish it had smoothed out some of the edges and maybe integrated Takeru in a better way. Is he a thug or is he a secret nice guy in disguise?

The fact that it has garnered so much discussion probably means it's more successful than I initially gave it credit for. I have to admit, it's a fascinating episode, even if I didn't feel like I enjoyed it as much as I could have.
When the translators have trouble with the names you have a some strong evidence we're dealing with cardboard cut outs.

Just because it's the standard secondary rider ep, doesn't mean they couldn't try something new. Smoothing out the edges would have been a lot easier with more time. This is why I think a second episode would have done this more justice. There was a lot of potential in this ep. The thing I fear though is stretching the material to thin, it probably would have worked better as a two part side story.

Yes, so undercover work. But why was the family who are hinted at being in dept so eager to share their meal with a complete stranger? They weren't even approved yet. Meh, nevermind, its just another of the rougher edges in this ep. I didn't even recognise Rian. -_- I also suck at faces. :(
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I'll take the high road and say that the episode didn't fail to entertain me. Maybe it's because I'm easily entertained when there's an abundance of boobs and leg shots.

Positive: Finally get a chance to see Takeru in his armor. Was waiting for this. And, since I'm a fan of team work, it's nice to see all four of them together in action. And it doesn't hurt to see a hot naked girl in bed. As I said many times, I will NEVER say anything bad about gratuitous sex scenes.

Negative: Takeru's freak out. I truly believe that the scene would have been deeper if he quietly dropped to his knees and sobbed after discovering the family was killed.
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

the episode just seemed off pace to me, i still managed to enjoy myself but at the same time I feel like people should have wondered why such big houses would be free. I also feel most of the sexual stuff was unneeded for the plot though i can at least give takeru's scene the excuse of it's in his character.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
berry889
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Mana Kazaya
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey

Post by berry889 »

i've been following this series up until this episode and I don't understand what is Madou Horror? It is somewhat like human-made Horror? enlighten me please.... :o
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

They explain it in episode 2? The Horrors that we've been used to up till now are Inga Horrors, weak-minded humans who are possessed by Horrors from the Makai using objects called Gates.

Madou Horror are new to Yami, it means "heretic Horror". As the name implies, these Horrors don't follow the same rules as previous Horrors. They don't display the seals in their eyes when green Makai Flame is lit in front of it, they aren't tracked normally, they don't appear to speak in Makai language, and frequently Madou Horror are powerful members of Volcity, who appear to be created by someone in Volcity.

We see this in the case of Enhou, the SG-1 captain.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

Masked Rider wrote:I'll take the high road and say that the episode didn't fail to entertain me. Maybe it's because I'm easily entertained when there's an abundance of boobs and leg shots.

Positive: Finally get a chance to see Takeru in his armor. Was waiting for this. And, since I'm a fan of team work, it's nice to see all four of them together in action. And it doesn't hurt to see a hot naked girl in bed. As I said many times, I will NEVER say anything bad about gratuitous sex scenes.

Negative: Takeru's freak out. I truly believe that the scene would have been deeper if he quietly dropped to his knees and sobbed after discovering the family was killed.
The freak out of Takeru's is interesting to me. While it seemed out of place for some people, I find it quite in character with what we know of him. He's a guy that normally has things go according to his plans. This plan failed so he was freaking out about it. The fact that he somewhat regained sanity when Priest Burai showed up with the girl might signal that he might give up his normal ways. I kind of hope she has a chance to become a Priestess to help out the Knights.

Speaking of Knights, Garo's form returns for a split second before burning him up again. I remember that the armors are made of Soul Metal or something. Can't wait to see how he gets his full armor set again.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

so, maybe i'm just an idiot, but why did the mother fill the application in english? it just seems odd to me(and yes, the application has both japanese and english in it, but i believe the english in it is for non-native people who wants to join the city)
takenoko wrote:Congrats, Takeru. You now have a 15 year old girlfriend to take care of.

Come to think of it, didn't the second Rider in Makai Senki also get a tragic episode about a school girl too?

It's not a terrible episode, but a lot of parts fell flat to me. It was hard to feel for Takeru since his freak out at the end was so fake and annoying.
actually, i have seen the scene with the application many times, and it ays she is 17, so i think she is legal.

characters who took me 5 minutes to think for a better episode about them than the actual episode, part 1: two females are truly in love with each other, and are trying to resist attacking people so the makai knight do not go after them so they can live in peace, but sadly, one of them gets killed and the other does suicide by makai knight to be together with her!

I was wondering why they never used the memory removal thing before, but by the end of the episode i found out, it gets the victim killed.

I think this episode was one of those that did not get baked enough, or had some better idea about what they wanted for it, but run out of time or something. because i fell there is a story with the family, as oppose to some random people who have no backstory and are there just to get killed.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Urph, guys, I think it'd done most a good favor if you told them earlier whether if the episode would have nudity in it. Call me a puritan, but the leg-licking was uncalled for.

Seems like whoever created the Madou Horrors are somewhat related to Ryuuga to only resonate to him.

I am not sure why most find Takeru's tantrum to be surreal. They actually failed in this mission, even with the back-up plan like that ring (Which seemed to make sure they are free from anymore attacks). Takeru might have lost someone precious in similar incident before.

So it seems that once you get into the accursed city, you won't be able to get out. Spiral village much there. That, and there are more Horror dining hall out there.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Urph, guys, I think it'd done most a good favor if you told them earlier whether if the episode would have nudity in it. Call me a puritan, but the leg-licking was uncalled for.

I honestly forgot, but remembered to mark it on the wiki:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_%7EYa ... Chronology

Someone pointed out that's Kaoru's actress in that music video. Garo link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... w47dhbvOoE#

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”