Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 11 released

Post by takenoko »

So I'm still checking the credits. Still no idea who maskman or the big eyed girl is.
Fuck me, after writing that, I check it a second time and see it. Her character name is Gigi and it is played by Eguchi Hiromi.

Kind of a simple episode, but one that adds to the Garo mythology. Not a bad episode, but I didn't really care for the monster.

I know relationships probably go in cycles, but it seems like Kouga should have learned to not keep secrets from Kaoru back in series one.

Seems like this would have been a good episode to bring back Garo's dad as a guest...

Cool guest this week though. If you remember Garo 25's title "Eirei" means "Spirit of Heroes". The credits list Kouga's ancestor as Eirei Garo and it's voiced by Nishi Rintarou. Do you remember who he is? I mentioned it pretty recently. It's Shadam/Doukoku/the demon blade from a few episodes back.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Garo Makai Senki 11 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Pretty good episode. I like the time flow excuse for allowing extended armour battling. I think a fight in the forest would have been cooler though.

And a return of the caped GARO. I always liked this form. Interestingly, the only other time he used it (to my knowledge) was when he was channelling his ancestors in the last battle of part one, and when the other GARO that tested him for his horse had it. Makes me think that is possible associated this way? IDK just speculating.
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

He just summoned his cape like that? And his cape is bullet proof? Batman!!

Eguchi Hiromi... A regular irregular on GARO... Didn't she play Shion and the manhole lady?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Yep. I admit, she does the creepy Horror head thing quite well.

One thing I didn't like was the tease of the masked man at the start, and then not actually being relevant to the episode. Unless his mention of translating the characters was supposed to tie into the fact that Zaruba could read them on that statue at the end. Maybe he'll steal Zaruba or one of the other Madougu?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I disagree, I think more plots should do things like that. Even if the episode has nothing to do with the main plot, a little sprinkling of "here's the thesis to this season, please keep it in mind" is really good.

One of the things that made me really happy about Gokaiger was when Joe was in a battle with Barizorg and he just mutters "Barizorg..." After many episodes with no Joe/Barizorg plot and at least one battle where they fight and Joe doesn't even acknowledge the guy, that was a real small but good moment.
Irish Ranger
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Irish Ranger »

The "time flow" reason was a nice touch but they've played fast and loose with the timer rule since the beginning of the show so it didn't really mean all that much.

Overall, it was a decent episode. It's nice to have some Kouga/Kauro moments, though it's a shame that he didn't tell her about the seal. The fight scenes were good even if they seemed a little slow.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

At 1st i found the Garo grave being a tower, with all the japanese-like stuff going on with the Makai Priests. But Garos are Knights and the senate is kinda not japanese-like. Since the red priest said that at 1st only the priests fought the horrors, maybe the knights are a foreign influence.

I hope they mention how the armors were created and who came up with the knight idea. Also, how did the priests learned to use magic.

But it would've been nicer if he had to do something to purify himself, besides just standing there, like having to meditate or even a simple ritual, like washing his head... At least he had to fight the evil ki, though it seems that isn't normally the case.

I'm a big fan of the brush effects in Garo, but using drawn backgrounds was lame. The Horror was ok and the fights too. But a Horror that controls time and space should've been far stronger...

And this romance bores me to hell. The only romance that is worse than this is Bakuman's.

I guess Zaruba will translate the text to bring Ganon back.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I have a couple thoughts I've been meaning to post for a while.

First, after last week I'm pretty sure Leo isn't Red Mask, but might be connected. I feel that the episode went out of its way to prove how level-headed and devoted Leo is, and how while he's quite the hidden badass, he's not Red Mask because if he wanted Spirit Beast fur, he could have just snuck off and killed the spirit beast himself no problem.

I don't want to go too far off on a tangent here but my theory is that Red Mask is basically nuts. His goals simply make no sense, so I think he's nuts and/or being mentally influenced by a big horror. I rather expect he, Leo, and the mysterious woman who Kaoru reminds Leo of have A History. Possibly a brother/sister/boyfriend history, ended by a tragic death which drove Red around the bend.

This week's episode gave us another teaspoon of makai knight lore and I think the poster above has it right in pointing out Zaruba might be used as a translator. I think we've also got a bit of a hint with the prophecy scrap in the statue too that there's going to be a threat in part because Kouga has found a "light" to protect and surely that's Kaoru. Maybe Makai Engagements are always part courtship part trial.

I enjoyed the fights this week; the rotoscope style stage was a nice change from blank white space with inky runes flowing through.

Finally, I have a translation question. The "Senate" that Kouga is working for now. Is that an actual Japanese word with the meaning of government body or the English word clearly spelled out, or is it phonetic? Is there any possibility that the word might actually be "Synod" (pronounced Sin!-od kind of close to Sen!-et)? Because a synod is a council of priests and would be hella appropriate.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The word used for the Senate Kouga works for is 元老院 (genrouin), which is usually used to refer to the Roman senate, no relation at all to a synod, sorry.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>he could have just snuck off and killed the spirit beast himself no problem.

Unlessss, all he wanted the fur for was so he could rub his wand against it. Oh yeah!

>Finally, I have a translation question. The "Senate" that Kouga is working for now. Is that an actual Japanese word with the meaning of government body or the English word clearly spelled out, or is it phonetic? Is there any possibility that the word might actually be "Synod" (pronounced Sin!-od kind of close to Sen!-et)? Because a synod is a council of priests and would be hella appropriate.[/quote]

Syn-what? What Luna said, probably. To break it down, Genrou means "elder statesman, authority" and In means "institution, temple, mansion, school". So literally more like the institution of elders/politicians
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Lunagel wrote:The word used for the Senate Kouga works for is 元老院 (genrouin), which is usually used to refer to the Roman senate, no relation at all to a synod, sorry.
Interesting to know anyway!
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu

Post by Arawynn »

I'm sure Kouga was about to say I love you to Kaoru. Or something along those lines if not that explicit. Declaration of true feelings never go that smoothly.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki

Return to “Makai Senki”