Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

Post by takenoko »

So I started watching this (at last). I remember watching an episode because the Shortpacked Comics guy mentioned it was good. And it's pretty fun. I can see how it has adult appeal.

So I think I'm halfway through the first season. I'm around episode 14ish? I really like how the individual ponies have their own quirks. It's pretty episodic, but that's alright if the individual stories are entertaining.

There are a lot of questions that come to mind though. I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the 80s cartoon continuity? Where's all the humans gone?

How does Rarity run a clothes shop in a town of mostly nudists?

The male ponies as secondary citizens is fascinating to me. They rarely speak, they pretty much only exist to be manual labor (or in one episode, train conductors. Because why would women be train conductors, that's unheard of) or to be trouble making idiots. I don't even remember if there were any male ponies in the original cartoon. I guess they were pretty gender neutral to feminine for the most part.

I kind of wish they'd put the series out on disc or something.

So I'm wondering if we can have an actual conversation about the series without getting wrapped up in labels.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

Post by Guardian07 »

Like I said before, I only watched two episode of it so I can't add much. Just that my favorite pony is Fluttershy :lol: .

What surprises me is the references to popular movies and the like that would be lost to the 'target demographic'. A kid would never pick up jokes like "She got on a soap box, on a soap box"(she is expressing a strong opinion dramatically, while standing on a soap box), or the famous lines "You, shall not, PASS!!". It reminds me of tokusatsu in how even though the target demographic is kids, they put in stuff for the older fans and just make a good show.

The voice acting really got me. First of, apparently there's no male voice actors in the cast, even though there are male roles. So they were done by female voice actors, and were done well. Also, out of the 6 main ponies, there are only 4 voice actors, meaning two of them did two roles.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if I've seen that many cultural references (besides the Derpy Hooves that I've heard of). Maybe they're just going over my head.

I do like the voice acting though. I had no idea there were only four voices between the main six. I'd have to imagine they bring in a guy once in a while for some of the small male bit parts though. Maybe they're just really good at imitating male voices though, I dunno.

I think my favorite pony is Rarity. I think her vain antics are funny, and it amuses me that she has a pet cat.

I guess another thing that I find interesting is the other animals in the series. Like there's one episode where there's a stampede and Applejack has to stop it. When she does, the cows stop and then apologize and then walk away chatting. It's like, "Wait, they can talk too? Weird"
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

Clothing in the series takes either a practical approach (work harnesses, winter outfits) or a stylistic approach (saddles, anything the fashion ponies wear.) Rarity caters to the latter. Even though ponies are usually nude, they wear clothing for formal events. If her prices are high, she doesn't have to sell as many to make a living.

Rarity's actually my favourite too. The antics and how she goes from over the top to fairly serious makes her very interesting. Also, she's a living example of how the cutie mark system is cool. Her Cutie Mark talent doesn't have anything to do with fashion directly, but she personally loves fashion. So she uses her talent to pursue fashion instead of just using it directly to make money.

In general, any race with four legs and hooves is as intelligent as ponies are. The other animals are smarter than in real life (most understand speech), but not capable of speech or anything. Except dragons, I guess. And griffins.

Everyone in the cast does a couple different voices, but the main 4 girls don't do the male voices. Big Mac's actor does some of the random male voices and they get anime voice actors to do the rest.
rlee1988

Post by rlee1988 »

I got caught up, and hooked with the ep where the dragon(name? my memory sucks) starts growing. Caught it and have been re-watching. There's a charm and unpredictability to it that I really like and don't get from most cartoons my son can watch. Been thinking about buying the series. Dunno anything about the voice actors. Just hope they keep doing a great job.
Completed-Kamen rider: Ryuki, Fourze
Currently watching: go-busters, go-onger, agito, amazon, wizard, W
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So I just finished watching the season finale for season 2. Such a good show. I'm glad there's a third season, but I hope the rumor that it's just 13 episodes is false. This series really deserves a lot more.

Speaking of which, why isn't more done to target the wide range of audience with this? I mean, put out a Blu-ray boxset for the two seasons that's out. Or make show accurate toys.

Or maybe put out a CD of the songs or put those songs on itunes.

I kind of want to put a little money towards the show, but nothing really appeals to me. Come on Hasbro, give me a reason to give you money.
rlee1988

Post by rlee1988 »

nvm, no complete seasons. I stand corrected. If you really want to put money towards the show, why not buy on itunes or amazon direct download? I'll definitely be waiting for a complete release on dvd though. I'm suprised with the releases that transformers prime(another hub release) they haven't supported the other franchises as well. I guess everyone thought mlpfim just to be a toy seller, whereas it seems the toys are sitting on shelf, but the show is great.
Completed-Kamen rider: Ryuki, Fourze
Currently watching: go-busters, go-onger, agito, amazon, wizard, W
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>why not buy on itunes or amazon direct download?

I don't use itunes and I don't see it on Amazon direct download. Besides, if it's broadcast in HD, I'd rather just get it on a Blu-ray disc.

>toy seller, whereas it seems the toys are sitting on shelf, but the show is great.

Well the toys aren't very good in my opinion. I guess little kids like the hair to play with and stuff, but I just want a show accurate thing to display with my other stuff.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Did anyone catch this week's episode "A Magic Duel"? I have to admit, the few few episodes of season three haven't been my favorite, but this one really captured what's great about this series. Plus, there were so many callbacks to previous episodes. The jokes were good, it did a good job with the ensemble cast. The only thing that would have made it a perfect episode is if it had a catchy song.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/11/m ... nload.html
gmottl
Mega
Favorite series: Rider-Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: ppgz, mrr, too many
Dreamy: fourze girls, luka
Favorite Actor?: jirou zanki garulu
Favorite Band: nightwish
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: MLP:FIM
Quote: just because you're a genius doesn't mean your a smart guy- PPG narrator
just because i'm an idiot doesn't mean i'm stupid- Spencer Shay

Post by gmottl »

All Hail Princess Twilight Sparkle. In case you missed this seasons final episode that nearly everyones been freaking out about. Twilight has become not only an alicorn but is reveled to be a princess too. the general fandom has been all doom and gloom over this but i think this is MLP's Xindi, their Borg, their dominion war and their beet-stag buster. something to just make it better. by the way. hasbro is releasing a mondo Princess twilight later this year, i saw it in a toyfair vid and as soon as i saw it i said. "WANT!!!!!!!".
Anyone remember when the news didn't want to make you punch the nearest thing to you, me neither.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

My Thoughts on Season 3's finale and Season3 in general

Post by takenoko »

Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

gmottl wrote:the general fandom has been all doom and gloom over this
From what I've heard, I dunno if I'd say general fandom; just seems to be a certain sub-section of it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

One more week till the new season of My Little Pony! I'm ready to be wowed, Season 4.

Return to “TV”