Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: POWER RANGERS
Dreamy: Kaoru from Garo
Favorite Band: Too many XD
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Girls XD

Re: Gokai 33 released

Post by bradrian »

(Referring to above) Which, by technicality, would mean that it was more the director and less PR that brought the influence.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

lonegamer7 wrote:Ep 5 had Luka transform into Go-On Yellow and use the tire armband on her arms as a weapon, which was ONLY used in RPM. Said episode was directed by Koichi Sakamoto, who worked on the majority of the PR shows.
Right, and Magiranger Vs Dekaranger showed Ban using the SPD-exclusive battleizer. They do reuse stuff created for PR from time to time, I'm not saying they don't.

By "taking PR into consideration", I meant in terms of making a Super Sentai season easier to adapt into PR, like the aforementioned New Zealand thing. It would make sense for them to give a nod to Zyuranger just so that Saban can in turn give a nod to MMPR, I'm only questioning whether or not they actually went that far just to make Saban's job easier.

It's my understanding that Zyuranger is widely respected in it's own right in Japan, both for being a solid show and for introducing new elements to Super Sentai (a regular 6th hero and a non-storage carrier mech). It seems to me that they had more reason to pay tribute to it than just convenience.
gmottl
Mega
Favorite series: Rider-Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: ppgz, mrr, too many
Dreamy: fourze girls, luka
Favorite Actor?: jirou zanki garulu
Favorite Band: nightwish
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: MLP:FIM
Quote: just because you're a genius doesn't mean your a smart guy- PPG narrator
just because i'm an idiot doesn't mean i'm stupid- Spencer Shay

Post by gmottl »

the HD isn't working for me
Anyone remember when the news didn't want to make you punch the nearest thing to you, me neither.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HD hasn't been released yet.
gmottl
Mega
Favorite series: Rider-Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: ppgz, mrr, too many
Dreamy: fourze girls, luka
Favorite Actor?: jirou zanki garulu
Favorite Band: nightwish
My boom: MLP:FIM
Quote: just because you're a genius doesn't mean your a smart guy- PPG narrator
just because i'm an idiot doesn't mean i'm stupid- Spencer Shay

Post by gmottl »

my point exactly

edit- there ya go, thats the tv nihon i know and wuv. sorry about the dumbassittry.
Anyone remember when the news didn't want to make you punch the nearest thing to you, me neither.
TheZen
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: DragonRanger

Post by TheZen »

Anyone else feel like they've been using the Hurricanger Grand Power a little too much recently? Why aren't they rotating or something? Is it just to sell the toyline?

I miss the Gao Lion and they haven't done Gokaijyujin (or whatever it's called) since the last time.

-EDIT:
Preview Spoilers
Spoiler
IXA is back! Lol, jk.
No nuts, no donuts.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

TBustah! wrote:By "taking PR into consideration", I meant in terms of making a Super Sentai season easier to adapt into PR,
In terms of this, Toei clearly gives not a single damn and has frequently done whatever they want with no heed paid to what the American version will have to put up with. Shinkenger and Gokaiger are pretty big indicators that, while the guys running the franchise may very well like Power Rangers, they ultimately do as they please because lol feth those guys.

I'm sure they play some kind of brinkmanship over there, waiting with bated breath to see what horror the adaption unleashes upon the world. Will they slavishly adapt the plot and story of the original no matter how nonsensical it is, or will they go bugshit insane and create something new? And if it's actually tolerable, well, they adapt it BACK to Japan.
TBustah!
Mega

Post by TBustah! »

dancercotillion wrote:In terms of this, Toei clearly gives not a single damn and has frequently done whatever they want with no heed paid to what the American version will have to put up with.
That was never my implication, I was questioning someone else that was making it.

I dunno... MAYBE they took PR into consideration with Gai's mecha. But considering their track record, I kind of doubt it.

Just look at the difference in tone between Go-Onger and RPM.
Kamen Rider Aranu
Mega
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Kizoku Kodomo[Aranu]
Favorite Actor?: Matt Smith
Favorite Band: Alice Cooper
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: "Henshin."

Post by Kamen Rider Aranu »

lonegamer7 wrote:Ep 5 had Luka transform into Go-On Yellow and use the tire armband on her arms as a weapon, which was ONLY used in RPM. Said episode was directed by Koichi Sakamoto, who worked on the majority of the PR shows.
Go-Onger used the wheels too. They just didn't have the same glow as RPM, and it wern't used as much.
ImageImage
KamenGamer
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Henshin
Quote: I think therefore I am

Post by KamenGamer »

ryou was cool then and he's cool now. a kaijin that eats up food now that's original :P and oh no gai looses his gokai celluar. so the dairangers grand power is just their ranger finisher in gattai mode. they really are getting all they can out of the hurricane gokai oh gattai
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I spent so much of this episode feeling utterly frustrated and wanting to smack Gai, or rather, Gai's writers, through the screen. It really irritated me that they were making a big deal out of the fact that he lost his Cellular when he had done so much without the use of his Cellular in his introduction episodes. For a show that has been incredibly good at incorporating events, both major and minor, from previous episodes, that was a huge gaffe.

...Until it was revealed that that was the whole point - that Gai himself had let himself get so caught up in using the Cellular that he forgot about how willing he was to be a hero without it, and that he had become too reliant on it. It wound up on being a nice lesson on how to make use of your tools, but not become overdependent on them.

Plus, it set up an incredibly powerful moment. Ryou performing the DaiRanger roll call was amazing, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like DaiRanger. (Also nice that Ryou cared enough about his clothes that he unbuttoned his shirt before throwing it off.) Between the flashback and the ensuing civilian battle, I was also impressed with the athleticism of both Gai and Ryou's actors. Gai's had a lot of fight choreography that he's performed as a civilian, and Ryou continued what's become a pattern of the older veteran members having significant fighting choreography.

Some nice humorous moments despite Gai being in a funk for most of the episode. I like the irony of it being the pineapple that hits Silver right before he changes back to Gai. However, I loved that the GokaiCellular voice mail message - something so simple but it cracked me up.

I would love to see the communication system that former super sentai members have in place that they all instantly recognize each other. Does everyone have a copy of that Super Sentai Address Book that AkaRed put together?

One nit pick that survived the episode. Gai acknowledged that Liveman fought before he was born during their tribute. But in this episode, he claimed he admired Ryou when he was little. If his actor’s age is his character’s age, he was only a year old when they were fighting! That's a bit of a stretch. He's made it clear that he admires all sentai members, but that line struck me as being off.

One more fake-out - I thought this was going to be the first episode that they didn’t say “Let’s make this showy”, but it looks like they just moved it to be said with the Galleon Buster. It was still weird to hear them transform and not say it.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Was it my imagination, or did it seem that when Gai and Ryou ran into each other, the bike basket has the DaiRanger logo on it. You have to advance it frame by frame though, and it is a bit blurry.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
TBustah!
Mega

Post by TBustah! »

TorchWood wrote:Was it my imagination, or did it seem that when Gai and Ryou ran into each other, the bike basket has the DaiRanger logo on it. You have to advance it frame by frame though, and it is a bit blurry.
You're absolutely right. This is from Keiichi Wada's blog, among other pictures that he took on set, here's one of the bike.

http://ameblo.jp/k1-wonder/image-110450 ... 30756.html
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Fun episode, nice seeing Ryo again i'm guessing his Dairanger roll call and pose has to be muscle memory at this point. Gai sulking over the loss of his Gokai Cellular and realizing that you don't need a device to make you hero is kinda the weak part of the episode. Kinda surprised they didn't go with Kou as a gust star would've been interesting to see grown up him interacting with Gai.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”