Forum rules
Wiki Link
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

ZyuRanger: Shout Factory Dvd Review

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

So last Saturday night, I came home from work.. put my jacket and bag down and saw a box on my desk where my laptop is saying "Shout Factory" on it. Staring at it for a few seconds in surprise, I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut the box open.

The result was:
Image Image Image
(Sorry for my lighting issues on the middle one, I didn't even spot those until I had imgur'd it already)

Shout Factory's set of Kyoryuu Sentai ZyuRanger~; I was surprised since I didn't expect it come out for a few more weeks but nonetheless, it was there in my hands.
So, how does it stack up? Well..

The set is set-up into 10 DVD discs of 5 episodes each.. personally, this doesn't bother me since if I had ever bought the R2s, that's as much as I would've had anyway in total so.. heeeh. As you can prolly see for yourselves, the back-paper just has screencaps and lists for which episodes are on which disc.
(So:
Disc 1
And so on)

Every disc has the same few menus..
Image Image Image

> The first menu has the TV-Size cut of the ZyuRanger Op song looping (complete with sfx.. which is amusing if you're just sitting there listening to Kenta Satou sing then an explosion out of nowhere.)
> Every other menu loops a TV-Size cut of the ED song "Boken-shite Rappa-peeya!" by Pythagoras.
> You only get three options for the menus -- either "Play All", "Episode List" or "Subtitle options".. as featured above.

Oh, for some reason, these menus are in widescreen (as opposed to the episodes themselves that are in their right 4:3/fullscreen setting; so don't freak out, it seems that it'd be a universal thing as far as I can tell).

On Disc 1, it opens with a preview for ZyuRanger itself:
Image Image Image Image
I'm pretty sure it's the same video that we had subbed way back here so, if you've seen that,then you know what I'm talking about.

That's really the only exception until Disc 10, though; every other disc is just episodes and that's really it. Disc 10 though, has a couple neat things:

Image Image

One being the PCM 2014 panel that Yuta Mochizuki was at.. I haven't watched this myself yet so, I dunno how it was handled.

The other thing is 2 promos for DaiRanger.:
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image Image
Now I don't know if Shout is doing DaiRanger or not.. Ward said he'd like to but, nothing's certain right now. Still though, the promos are a nice bookend. (Again, I'm sure we subbed a copy of these too, if you wish to see for yourselves).

I suppose looking back, that's not really much of a "review", is it? I'll just add on some tidbits:

According to my media player here:
Audio is listed as: "Unknown1, AC3 48000Hz 16bits 2 channels"
Video for the menus is: Angle 01/01, 720x480 60Hz 4:3
While the episodes is/are: Angle 01/01, 720x480 60Hz 4:3

As for how the quality looks, well.. that depends; some times you'll get really nice shots:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Others, you'll get super-grainy shots that clearly look their age:
Image Image

I wouldn't expect Zyu to look super-friggin' awesome, though.. it was prolly shot on a potato-camera. :lol:

And with that, I think I've gone through everything I can think of. If you have any questions, leave them and I'll try to answer.. otherwise, enjoy!
Kiryu213
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Daimajin Kanon/Garo
Favorite Actor?: Shigeki Hosokawa
My boom: MH3U/ACNL
Quote: To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary. Defeat simply tells me I am wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." -Bruce Lee
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: ZyuRanger: Shout Factory Dvd Review

Post by Kiryu213 »

Thanks for the review! I can't wait for this set! May I ask that you post a screenshot from the PMC panel extra? Yuta Mochizuki was my guest for the con and I was wondering which panel they used for the DVD. Thanks a lot! :)
To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary. Defeat simply tells me I am wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." -Bruce Lee
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Glad you liked it. And sure. :)

Hiroshi Maeda, Mochizuki and Takeuchi's on the far-left.
ja450n
Favorite series: Kamen Raidā Dikeido
2nd Favorite Series: Majirenjā

Post by ja450n »

This may be more of an opinion question, but how does Zyuranger compare to the other sentai groups?

I liked the original 4 seasons of MMPR (they lost me at turbo) when i was younger, and got back into tokusatsu a few years ago when a friend showed me Kamen Rider. I've since watched almost all of the Heisei era Kamen Rider series, and a small part of the Super Sentai series.

To date, in somewhat favorite to least order, I've watched:

Shinkenger
Magiranger
Go-Buster
Gokaiger
Toqger
Kyoruger
Akibaranger
Timeranger

The price on Amazon really isn't that bad for a whole series, but i was stupid enough to not give the series at try before the subs were taken off TN.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It depends if you can stand lots of annoying kids throughout the series but for the most part, it's somewhere in the middle but towards the lower half.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

If I might inquire, how was the DVD quality. I mean in the terms of glitches. I ended up with one of the glitchy ultraseven DVD sets and I'll be honest it's what is holding me back from purchasing this.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I didn't notice any glitches in my set.
Gamerasith
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Doctor Who
Dreamy: Clara from Dr. Who
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Favorite Band: Metallica,Kiss
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: From start to finsh, I am at a climax!!!

Post by Gamerasith »

Was wondering when this was coming out... really would like to get it... thanks for the review!!!
barfmaster
Infinity
Favorite series: go-onger/decade
2nd Favorite Series: W/shinkenger
Dreamy: miu/urara
Favorite Band: eyeshine
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: 12 piece Gatti

Post by barfmaster »

so far the only thing that bugs me right now and i guess its from watching the subs here is that when one of the kids say brother or sister to one of the zyurrangers its translated as their name
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Yeah that never made any sense to me when groups translated onii/oneechan as the person's name even though they aren't family related. It's assuming that the children have previously met them which is not the case at all. They could have found some other alternative to it to preserve the context to it.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

My only complaints are the same complaints I have with most professional subtitle jobs: They use a yellow font for the subs (I prefer "fansub white", as I've come to refer to it) and the theme song just has translation subtitles, no karaoke as I've become accustomed to from fansubs. But these are really minor things and overall Shout! Factory did a fantastic job on these.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”