Anyone else likes the other YGO series?

The original series!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Anyone else likes the other YGO series?

Post by ReversedSentai »

So is there anyone else here that keeps up to date with the other YGO animes? I started watching GX weekly in the middle of season 3 to the finale. Afterwards, I watched 5D's ever since the day it premiered (April 2, 2008), to the final episode. I'm currently trying to keep up with the recent episodes of Zexal, but along with QCing Go-Busters, Fourze, and AkibaRangers, being a Forum Moderator, as well as keeping up with school, I've been behind a bit XD

What about you guys? Do you really enjoy a specific YGO season, and do you keep up with the recent anime? It would be totally fine if you really enjoyed the Toei YGO season the best.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Re: Anyone else likes the other YGO series?

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

My favorite time period in the entire franchise was the Duelist Kingdom arc of Duel Monsters (Going by the dubs, but using the Japanese names to avoid confusion). I love the way it looked and sounded, and from what I remember the dub scripts did what Saban's Digimon Adventure and Zero Two scripts tried so hard and failed to do; Give the characters a little extra personality in English.

My interest in the franchise waned during GX, and these days pretty much all of my exposure to it is through Little Kuriboh's Abridged series. Tried to get into the Dark Side Incorporated GX Abridged once, didn't really like it.
Ruecian
Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ruecian »

5D's was pretty great. GX and Zexal are really disappointing though.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

I've known YGO with the manga (a couple of years before the first tv show in my country) and I quite enjoyed the initial mix of games (_any_ type of game), realistic/serious stuff and hexes/death/horror.

Everything that was exported from Japan (other than the manga) was just about the trading card game so...nah.

Little Kuriboh, ShadyVox etc are doing a great work but it doesn't count as real YGO series or, depending on your pov, those are the only real YGO series XD.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

I liked the original best but Zexal isn't as bad as I initially thought it was going to be.
ImageImage
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I like Duel Monsters and 5Ds; GX was okay for a bit but looking back, it was nothing more than the Judai Yuki show and s4 was a waste (so yeah, don't feel bad that 4kids didn't dub it; you missed nothing).
I had low expectations for ZeXal since going back to a school theme sounded ridiculously inane; I tried an episode but, I couldn't finish it. Kid has pendant around his neck that he put together... spirit is missing his memories... it came off as a diluted version of DM.

The Toei series.. my first experience with it's material is through the manga so, I'm a bit biased on it.
Last edited by Go-On Macaroni on Sat May 19, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:I like Duel Monsters and 5Ds; GX was okay for a bit but looking back, it was nothing more than the Judai Yuki show and s4 was a waste (so yeah, don't feel bad that 4kids didn't dub it; you missed nothing).
I had low expectations for ZeXal since going back to a school theme sounded ridiculously inane; I tried an episode but, I couldn't finish it. Kid has pendant around his neck that he put together... spirit is missing his memories... it came off as a diluted version of DM.
I actually thought that Season 4 of GX was a really badass season; instead of the goofy Judai, we meet someone who is much more serious, which creates a much more serious plot. 5D's was really good in my opinion, but the only thing I must complain was that Yusei never lost an onscreen duel.

As for ZeXal...meh. I really am not that interested in the series. The artwork for the series looked very different, and Yuma is more annoying than Judai in the first three seasons.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

ReversedSentai wrote:5D's was really good in my opinion, but the only thing I must complain was that Yusei never lost an onscreen duel.
Off the top of my head, he lost the first duel to Kiryu.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
ReversedSentai wrote:5D's was really good in my opinion, but the only thing I must complain was that Yusei never lost an onscreen duel.
Off the top of my head, he lost the first duel to Kiryu.
He didn't technically lose; his D-Wheel malfunctioned and the duel was interrupted.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

I figured out why I was having the impression that 5D didn't have a big enough impact in my country to get a lot of aired commercials:

Long story short: 5D was aired and stopped a few times at lunch time (usual time for kids shows here).
For some reasons the company who bought the copyrights to air the serie here wasn't happy of the results, so it started stopping and resuming it at different times/days and even on 2 different channels (saturday morning, afternoon, again at lunch time etc).
After all that stuff, they started getting it directly from Japan, without any 'funny americanization' and now it's aired every Sunday morning.

Even if I don't particularly care for that show, I'm happy that someone in that company woke up after decades of idiotic management.

The usual 'strategy' was to tease people by stopping, resuming, and rewinding the same 1st season of _everything_ until it was so old that they couldn't even try to sell it anymore. At that point, when everyone in the universe had already seen possibly 3+ seasons of a show, they could get the copyright for a lot less money. Also a lot of times they never actually aired the following seasons.
Of course it was always the pre-translated+pre-censored american version.

Main examples are Dragonball Z (delayed for almost a decade), One Piece (they restarted from Ep01 2-3 times to gather more original episodes).
All this Instead of, for example, getting a new show...without waiting for some other country to decide what was 'cool' on that particular moment or waiting for a cheap deal.

So...there's hope to see some more shows coming here without having to wait for the american version.
Wasaim
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: time is gold

Post by Wasaim »

ReversedSentai wrote:So is there anyone else here that keeps up to date with the other YGO animes? I started watching GX weekly in the middle of season 3 to the finale. Afterwards, I watched 5D's ever since the day it premiered (April 2, 2008), to the final episode. I'm currently trying to keep up with the recent episodes of Zexal, but along with QCing Go-Busters, Fourze, and AkibaRangers, being a Forum Moderator, as well as keeping up with school, I've been behind a bit XD

What about you guys? Do you really enjoy a real phen375 review, and do you keep up with the recent anime? It would be totally fine if you really enjoyed the Toei YGO season the best.

when you say anime, i am always present! i just love anime. for me they are very unique in character and unique in story as well. i don't have a specific favorite because i adore them all. anime forever!!:)

Return to “Yu-Gi-Oh”