Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Monster Hunter Generations

Post by takenoko »

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Monster%20Hunter

Anyone else playing it? It's a neat mix of nostalgia and a bunch of new systems. It's great seeing all the old maps and towns again, even if the towns are limited. It's also really funny to see that the graphics are better than the PSP version, but not by a super a lot. Also, 3D is rubbish in this game.

I miss having the farm, but the new cat ranch stuff is okay. Plus, I'm grabbing a bunch of material whenever I go out, anyway.

Palico mode is interesting. No stamina or heat/cold restrictions, but also no item use and really awkward cat combat.

It takes a really long time for the cook to unlock the meat cooking feature, which is odd.

I only really use two of the Hunter Styles. Either Guild style or Aerial if I need to jump on monsters. (Although, I can see jumping being useful for the taller monsters). It's portable, so some of the bigger monsters are just out of the screen's range sometimes, which is awkward.

Kind of wish there was a way for my hunter to attack in a certain direction just by holding the stick that way while in combat. If you start a combo, you just keep moving in the direction you were facing when you started, which feels like maybe that should have been adjusted by this point. But hey, it's Monster Hunter, and I'm pretty used to the combat.

Wish they'd fix some of their rubbish missions though. The fishing missions still really suck. Even with Goldfish skills/bait sometimes you just can't target the right fish. I think I literally failed a mission by timing out because the fish just didn't spawn. That's so stupid and badly designed.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Re: Monster Hunter Generations

Post by Silentwolfdog »

One trick I learned with goldfish is you can throw in the bait, then take it out to throw it in the water again. It can resets the fishes that spawns. It worked for me in other MH games but no idea if that still works for you in the new game.

Do you still play with great sword?
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't see the fish spawn changing unless I remove a fish from the pond or if I leave the zone and come back to it. It's still kind of annoying.

Yeah, still using a great sword. The four hunter styles are interesting now that I've read more about them, but I think only the first three are helpful for greatswords. I basically use the guild style for most things, then aerial style if mounting the monster is part of the subquest. Although the aerial style is kind of nice for bosses that are more vertical, like the snake boss.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

SIlly Take. The 3d is shit in every 3DS game.

I have it, but haven't started playing yet. Might give it a crack this weekend if time permits.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

If you get a chance, let's meet up and swap Hunter cards.
My friend code: 2380-7190-1821
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I'm having a hard time getting into Generations. Which is odd cause I loved 4U.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

There's a lot of new changes, but I'm really liking it. Any idea what you're disliking about it? How far into the game are you?

What to meet up and play together sometime?
Monsoon
Gao
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HOTS
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Monsoon »

I played the hell out of Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite, and imported a copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. I didn't like 3 Tri for the Wii though, and really didn't like what I tried of 4 on the 3DS. I just hated using the 3DS's crappy joystick to control the game (ironic, since I was used to the PSP's worse joystick for several years). I'm tempted by this one, though, especially since you can visit Pokke and Yukumo.
Can't Stop the Monsoon - a blog mostly about video games, now featuring occasional Super Sentai reviews! Latest tokusatsu piece is my top ten Super Sentai series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's really hitting the nostalgia factor. I played FU and then P3, but P3 didn't have some monsters like FU's elder dragons. I definitely like visiting all the different villages.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://67.media.tumblr.com/77c6be98bd7 ... 1_1280.jpg monster hunter sale? Till Oct 18th.

Return to “Monster Hunter”