Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Hero Mama League released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Probably could have been either longer or shorter for me. Since it was just all talking, I probably would have shortened the conversations and maybe pepper in more jokes. Or flip it over and remove some dialogue and have some actual transformed fighting in it. This is still a toku work, after all.

While it's awesome to see these three actresses together and it is cool to see Toei try some new things, I guess I was hoping for something more?

I guess I'm just slightly annoyed because it's Toei's Star Wars Prequelian way of telling a story instead of showing it. Instead of seeing these characters try to do things while balancing their lives as mothers, they're just sitting down and talking. Which is hard to keep the audience engaged for 15 minutes straight. Heck, even the monster does nothing but talk. I think we pretty much see all their in-suit scenes in the preview, and that's never a good sign.

And because I'm the kind of arrogant fan that thinks he can do things better than the experts, how about this for a pitch: Just have 15 minutes of them fighting the monsters, while doing stuff like picking up groceries or going home to do chores. You know, the stuff they talk about doing offscreen.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Hero Mama League released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

This isn't for me. Ladies, I love you but this is not good.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

Agreed, I was expecting so much more... but it sucks that even the narrator pokes fun at it being low budget and not showing you the things we actually want to see.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ughhh, how do you take 3 of the best toku actresses and make something so... dull! I mean, it's okay to have low budget but for crying out loud, let them kick something! I'm not even sure who the target audience for this is. It's not kids and it's certainly not women cause this was just insulting. And I doubt men would like it either since it was just talking about boring shit. Your genre is called tokusatsu for a reason! (Incidentally this is why I couldn't get into Kanpai Senshi After V, cause they just talked about tropes instead of fighting)

Beginning to think the TTFC original stuff is all low-budget bullshit. There was the Brave special and then Kyuu High School Wars and now this... All similarly disappointing.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'll say this much, I can't help but notice that there's a 1 in the title. If they try this again next year, which I hope they will, I hope they take some of the criticism to heart and do something better with it. I've never heard of this writer or director so maybe bring in at least someone familiar with the characters or who worked on one of the original series (I know it's been more than 10 years, but still)
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Show us something don’t tell us it’s boring. Not worth 15 minutes of my time
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
loganwayne571
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black RX
Favorite Actor?: Kurata Tetso
Favorite Band: FLOW
Quote: "Tell me do you bleed?"

Post by loganwayne571 »

is there any HD720 release?
"I am vengeance! I am the night! I am Batman!"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HD's only in 720
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

Ok..............there are cost cutting techniques. And then, there's this. Although I can't complain too much since it did give us Jasmine (Ayumi Kinoshita). And that's always a good thing.
AdamFTF
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by AdamFTF »

Well, I wasn't expecting too much from it. It was just a silly little side project made for the fan club. I mean, it's not like we were going to get a mech battle because our three heroines don't even have mecha that fit together. I guess I do understand some people's disappointment in it, though. I was mainly interested as it seems to be an international extension of something I've seen in American superhero comics: a decided uptick in the number of superhero moms. In the past decade or so, I've seen Jessica Jones, Tigra, Spider-Woman, Jubilee, Smasher, Meggan, Big Barda and Lois Lane all become parents (okay, so Lois isn't a superhero, but still). Plus, the Wasp found out she's a stepmom. I guess we can add DekaYellow, HurricaneBlue and MagiPink to the list too.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Can't believe it was all dialogue. What a shame.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

They'll make this, but they won't bring back proper Net Movies. Come on Toei, do the right thing!
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
SengalBoy
Quote: Yare yare daze~

Post by SengalBoy »

Ayumi Beppu as a MILF is totes hot.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Taiga wa teleporter de aru.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's not overly impressive, but I'm not inclined to be overly harsh on it either. It was a net video release, and these are always low budget affairs. So at least to me, I was always expecting something that's mostly dialogue, especially given the subject matter.

That said, this video was definitely bare-bones. I guess it's telling that Super Sentai is nowhere in the title, since we didn't get any actual fighting. If not for the costs of getting the actresses in, this may just be the cheapest net movie to date. Still, it's fun to see the Hot Mama League together like that. And the dialogue/gags were fast paced enough (if only so) to keep things interesting. I would have really liked some fighting though, even if it was something really short.

Also, I found it interesting that the special was filmed at 30fps. I thought this might have been an artifact of how the stream was ripped (since it drops frames fairly often), but there are enough good stretches in there that it can clearly be established to be at 30fps. Which isn't a problem, but when all Sentai material is normally 24fps, it's an odd derivation. Most likely it means they weren't using the usual RED cameras, as I can't see a production like this going out of their way to reconfigure them for another framerate. Which in turn makes me very curious as to why it was done this way; given that the writers are nobodies, perhaps it was filmed by a crew whose experience lies in whatever the Japanese equivalent of soap operas is?
takenoko wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:18 am I'll say this much, I can't help but notice that there's a 1 in the title.
I noticed that as well. It's a very odd choice. As far as we know, there's nothing else happening with the series this year, is there?
Lunagel wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:16 amI'm not even sure who the target audience for this is. It's not kids and it's certainly not women cause this was just insulting. And I doubt men would like it either since it was just talking about boring shit.
Despite that, I do think it was aimed at women. The moralizing of the story just feels like someone's idea of "how do we honor mothers in a Sentai production" and missing the mark by a good degree. It's the only target audience that makes sense to begin with.

Return to “Super Sentai (Completed)”