KR Zi-O 01 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆☆
34%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
6%
14%

Total votes: 35
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

Last episode of Build's rating: 4.27 / 5 (15 votes)

Alt Title: Ji-O? More like Den-O, am I right?

Let me preface by saying that I'm very rarely sold on episode one of any Toei show. There's so much rushing to show the goods that I rarely know how to feel about the characters and the place/world.

That said, I think the show has potential, despite the obvious comparisons to Decade. But I definitely feel like Decade did it better. Better music, better atmosphere, better apocalypse, better characters.

Sougo, seems like an okay dude? Good like plain vanilla is good.

I thought the real star of episode 1 was Tsukugomi, but even then, I feel like we don't know much about her. Besides great fashion and acting as the guide, she's sort of the angel to Geiz's devil. And yet, despite her cool FaizPhone X (I see what you did there) why is she trying to save Sougo instead of kill him like Geiz is? It'd be nice to know her motivations, even if they explained it in a one liner to start?

We visit dinosaur, Edo, and Build eras. So is this time travel machine unlimited? If so, that's bad. At least with Den-O, there were established limits to the time travel. I'm sure they'll address this in a future episode.

Oh a mysterious villain. No name, makes monster Kamen Riders. Do we know what he wants or why he does anything? Nope.

So I'm lukewarm on the episode, stuff happened, but I don't know why a lot of that happened.

Also, why does future Zi-O have a totally different voice? I mean, Geiz sort of looks like Zi-O too. My guess is that Oma Zi-O is a totally different character than Zi-O and they'll have to fight in the future.

Also also, will we see Sougo 50 years after or is he going to stay behind a mask throughout that portion of the story?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 01 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

OK. Excellent start so far. Sougo’s alright. Well, thank Onodera that Rikiya Koyama's now a recurring Kamen Rider rather than a one-shot/movie character. Full circle from when he was Joe in Black RX. And welcome to Kamen Rider, Yabe-san!

Decent exposition on the sitrep. Geiz wants to kill Sougo to stop the Demon King’s rise. In Sougo’s shoulders, Tsukuyomi is the angel, Woz is the devil. And Woz gives him the gear to become our main Rider… Sorry for the Ghost reference and with due respect to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. All eyes on the Woz!

Whelp, the Time Jackers have made the move and have fracked with time. These guys are even worse than Chappelle's Time Haters!

I welcome your gamble, Kamen Riders. One must avert the protagonist’s journey to becoming a villain and the other must change the timeline to prevent the darkest timeline from happening.

Hey production crew... WRONG sound for T-Rex. It's no elephant!

Now then, the million-dollar questions that’s gonna be around in this show:

Who dropped off Sougo's Ridewatch??

What was the catalyst to the Demon King’s Face-Heel turn??

Why is Woz so eager to be Sougo's hype man??

Is Woz a contingency unit deployed by the Demon King in the event that the resistance would travel back in time to stop Sougo??
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

So Tsukasa Sougo lives in a photo studio clock store with an old man and aspires to do great things while a mysterious guy in a long coat named Narutaki Woz spouts random gibberish about his destiny. And we open up the show with a big battle in a huge field.

Forget Decade 2.0 he's more like Chronos 2.0
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

For this show's soundtrack, the Hindu music's alright. I do ask why Hindu music?
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Is it Hindu? I thought it was more Arabic/Middle Eastern. Sort of like a sands of time kind of thing?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Felt more rushed than normal. They should have left the Build stuff for next episode. It looks like they did this episode without knowing what builds ending was, as when they go back to 2017, there is a Sky Wall. Unless the Time Machine can cross into different dimensions as well. Was Another Build made in 2017 and just pissing around for a year?

I don't like Sougo. His one track minded motivation of wanting to be a king gives me vibes of recent Sentai Reds that have a focus or catch phrase. Maybe they'll bring it up at some point but it's kind of a lame motivation.

I did like when Geiz used the Ghost watch and the armour was walking with him prior to attaching.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Hmmmm..... stupid question since I only started watching this video.... but, ts there a translation missing at the bottom at the 0:20 mark at the bottom of the "statue"?

Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

TorchWood wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm Hmmmm..... stupid question since I only started watching this video.... but, ts there a translation missing at the bottom at the 0:20 mark at the bottom of the "statue"?

Keep watching
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Ok Zi-O I'm giving you a 12 episodes test to see if you're worth watching. So far you haven't impressed me. Even for Kamen Rider standards lately, the pacing is too fast for me.
I question how stealthy those Time Mazines are considering they're as big as a house, Geiz's robot is red, and flying around.

Sougo seems bland. So the guy wants to be king. That goal seems ridiculous and even if he has the capacity to do it, without his rider powers, I say take over England or any country with a monarchy if you want that. But considering your future in which you're golden and evil I suppose.

Tsukuyomi is not offering me anything worth commenting on, other than maybe 2068 fashion advice and being Sougo's angel while Woz be his devil. That guy's got something up his sleeve I can feel it.

I know we won't know what a T-rex may actually sound like but last I check they don't sound like an elephant.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Tsukuyomi is also the name of a moon goddess in Japanese mythology. It's quite appropriate for her to use a wolf-based gadget...
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

TypicalStandUser wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:04 pm Hey production crew... WRONG sound for T-Rex. It's no elephant!

Snipped unnecessary quoting since you're only commenting on this one line -take
I agree with the T-rex. I mean, why? they are the same company as Super Sentai, so why not use the same sound as like Gabutyra?
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

it was definitely...a bit much to take. we've established the board... and the players....

now, who's on whose side, and exactly what is everyone's role?

let the Ojou Chess match begin! :P

(btw, you guys got this out QUICK for a 1st ep... I know you usually take longer with getting stuff established. nice work!)
LiLAsN
Gao

Post by LiLAsN »

All in all, the intro music is nice. However the hindu music feels out of place for a battle soundtrack. Doesn't feel 'epic' as was intended. Doesn't blend well with the fight scene.
I feel sad though. This is the year 2018 and going forwards, the same video will be archived mostly for future viewers as well and not just current viewers. However, the video is so heavily compressed on an encoding level that no MadVR upscaling software and even my 4K OLED upscaling can help upscale an already pixelated video at the source level. Look at the scene of the rooftops at 8:20, the snapshot that someone took at the 00:17 mark, as well as the transformation scene at 19:47. The video looks too soft in both instances even though it was encoded at 1080p while the rooftop scene is inhabiting the weird 'netting' effect that was only seen in the DVD era days such as the DVD of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where the field of grass scene in the beginning will show the same netting effect not seen in actual 1080p blu-ray.

The higher the bitrate such as the other source video that I got it from was only 720p sadly. However, the high bitrate makes up for the lower resolution. Similarly, some 4K movie sources that are encoded below 20GB exhibits softer video overall with lesser details surprisingly than a 1080p Blu-ray source due to the high bitrate that I have had compared to before as well.

But this is just my personal feedback. Still love the animation subtitle effects you guys put in the video. It just blends so well with the video. And that is why I use them for archiving. But there has been no improvement of video source encoding over the years. The loss of detail will get quite noticeable as TV size gets bigger as well as resolution increases. Just my 2 cents. Hope it leads to an improvement.

Here's the comparison between the 1080p T-N source (has TV station watermark) vs a high bitrate 720p source.
Image vs Image
Image vs Image
Image vs Image
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

heeeey Surprise! ... I have issues with this first episode. I know, shocking.

So hey, remember the opening minutes of Decade? The famous Rider War? Riders we had watched for the past 9 series, in their suits (or CG-ed in if they were riot troopers), several on their bikes, fighting some unseen pink force that was just wrecking them? And how we didn't see the force behind it but even then it was mostly in Shadows, and it's belt the most we saw of the strange Rider that has come to end all? Like ignore that we got full production shots of him before the show started or the reveal posters, and in the opening them, just, that moment... Zi-o says screw all of that, shows us what the MC looks like, what his pose looks like, and the admittedly upgraded super blinged up version of what the Rider will look like within the first SECONDS of the show, before he beats up a whole lot of CG, and rando normal people we have never met. It is something I have yet to care about, the contextless opening fight to show off our effects budget that you run into every other action anime.

So hey alright, they have time machines, a lot of them from the looks of it before Zi-o blows them up... ... why did they send them into battle against the god demon monster ultra deluxe king? Why, if there are more people living after that fight than just angel girl and devil geiz, and more time machine robots, did only those two go back in time, and also why when he is 18!? Is that like, the last moment in time when he wasn't all powerful? ... also I have never really been a fan of a Kamen Rider name just being, the person's name. come on Geiz. Yawn.

I do not have much to say bout our hero, because there is not much we are given. Like I get the sense we are meant to think 'huh, I cannot tell actually if he would become a horrible monster, like he clearly cares but he seems really obsessed with being a King'. But, in my eternal efforts to defend Decade, Tsukasa we instantly got a sense of his personality even if we didn't know if he would destroy Kamen Riders, he was detached, cynical, smug, and didn't care about antagonizing others. And that whole first episode was solely setting up that his world was actively in danger.

... I hope Woz stays fun. I have hopes for him, has a lot of potential to really, make this show.

So uh, if Zi-o defeats the kid pulled out of time from the timeline where they die by not-Kai... does that like, kill them? Returning them to the correct timeline where in they die? This version of making monsters of the week raises a lot of questions. Almost as much as just going back in time to 2017 where Japan was split between three warring factions due to a giant wall coming out of pandora's box. So when we go back to 2006 for the Kabuto episodes are we gonna end up in a dystopia caused by a meteor strike leading to the invasion of Worms but then never mentioned in 2007 when he runs into Den-o?

All those complaints aside, this CAN be good, the actor can grow into the role, the action and fan service of old riders showing up can be enjoyable enough to keep me entertained so I can ignore the hiccups that happen with time travel stories. There could be a clever reveal about future Zi-o's true origin that speaks to questions about destiny and personal responsibility... or moving on the episodes can be just like this one. that, would be troubling. 3/5
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

so I'm kinda liking it right now. that guy who saved the B-Ball player. the way he moved and all that reminded me of Grimlin from Wizard. I'm not the only one right?

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”