Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Go-Onger 10 Years Grandprix released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Yeah, it was alright. I always felt like the Go-Ongers were underrated. Their series was a lot of fun and it felt really good hanging out with those characters.

And that's still sort of true here. Everyone's still the same, but a bit older. Kind of wish we had more character moments and a better story. Sort of feels like the Engines don't show up till the end to save on money, but at least everyone more or less appeared. Would have been nice if the movie were a bit longer and they had an actual mecha battle.

Why doesn't Saki wear her uniform?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Go-Onger 10 Years Grandprix released

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm glad we got this. I really enjoyed Go-Onger.

I feel like it could have done with maybe another 20 minutes as it seemed a touch rushed. My favourite part was definitely when the engines turned up at the end. That Engine Gattai theme still gives me goosebumps.
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

It looks like this one actually includes continuity from Gokaiger since it brings up how Speedor and BearV are married.
loganwayne571
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black RX
Favorite Actor?: Kurata Tetso
Favorite Band: FLOW
Quote: "Tell me do you bleed?"

Post by loganwayne571 »

is there any HD720 release?
"I am vengeance! I am the night! I am Batman!"
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

Kega Yellow was too sexy =D
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I spent the whole movie grinning there, because I love Go-Onger. Was it perfect? No, but it was good. Nice that they remembered Speedor and BeaRV are married.

A shame Rina clearly didn't want to be there. Went to very few promo events, and at the ones she did attend, she doesn't look pleased to be there. In the cast roundtables on the series Blu-Rays she also appears uninterested to me. I assume the plot being about her was how they convinced her to come back.

The fact that at no point in any of this has Rina worn either her jacket or the Go-On Yellow suit really says to me that she'd rather not have anything to do with this kiddy shit.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!

HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:12 pm A shame Rina clearly didn't want to be there. Went to very few promo events, and at the ones she did attend, she doesn't look pleased to be there. In the cast roundtables on the series Blu-Rays she also appears uninterested to me. I assume the plot being about her was how they convinced her to come back.

The fact that at no point in any of this has Rina worn either her jacket or the Go-On Yellow suit really says to me that she'd rather not have anything to do with this kiddy shit.
Yeah, it sucks that Rina's not happy promoting Go-Onger while the other 2 actresses are more than happy to suit up for this 10 years after.

Even Kega Yellow was HOT =D and was more than happy to suit up in the Go-On Yellow suit. Damn those sexy curves!!!

Too bad Rina didn't really act like she wanted to be in it and was dragged into it by the rest of the cast.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself on a semi-annual basis at this point, but that's okay. Either way I enjoy these 10 Years After movies. Even though they're clearly low-budget affairs, Toei has done a good job capturing the spirit of each series, and the Go-Onger special is no exception.

It's not the greatest movie - and Go-Onger wasn't the greatest series - but it hits that right mix of humor and heroics that made Go-Onger so much fun to watch. Souske's absurd optimism and bone-headed refusal to give up, Hanto's haplessness, Gunpei's forehead, Miu's short-shorts. The plot is kind of pedestrian, but focusing on e-waste is keeping in spirit of the original series, and the new monster is actually a pretty neat design. And I definitely could have done with more of just everything - especially the engines - but this series had so many regular characters that I get why they'd want to narrow the focus a bit. Plus they even got the Gaiark ministers back, which was a pleasant surprise. (And Kegareshia has the yellow ranger. I thought I had already seen everything, but now I really have seen it all)

I really don't understand why the kid was there though. the Hurricanger movie did the same thing. It must be a directive from on-high, as these kids don't really add anything to the movie. The plot could have also been tightened up a bit; while 50 minutes isn't all that long, not a whole lot actually happened in that 50 minutes either. And I would have liked a mecha fight, but that goes without saying; as does why it's not going to happen.

Anyhow, it was a fun 50 minutes. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long here until another series can do a 10 Years After movie.
Catastrophe wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 am That Engine Gattai theme still gives me goosebumps.
This movie was a timely reminder of how dang good Go-Onger's music was. It remains sort of weird by Sentai standards, but damn if it isn't good heroic fanfare music.
HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:12 pm The fact that at no point in any of this has Rina worn either her jacket or the Go-On Yellow suit really says to me that she'd rather not have anything to do with this kiddy shit.
Even before reading the comments here, I had the same thought running through my head. The whole plot really does seem to be an effort to lampshade this. Which if nothing else is bonus points for being meta, but is still a bit disappointing on the whole.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!

Is Rina's career not doing so well after Go-Onger?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

They haven't really had mecha fights in these series, I assume because the costumes are long gone. The fact that they even bothered to have CGI engines was a miracle. I know that they are integral to the series, but Toei has been known to cheap out.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Kamen Rider Blade wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:14 am Is Rina's career not doing so well after Go-Onger?
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. She considers herself too big now. But unlike people like Phillip or Shinken Red, she's clearly mistaken.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 am They haven't really had mecha fights in these series, I assume because the costumes are long gone. The fact that they even bothered to have CGI engines was a miracle. I know that they are integral to the series, but Toei has been known to cheap out.
Actually, speaking of CGI, the thing that surprised me the most there was that we didn't see the chibi engines until the very end. Those things were everywhere during the series itself.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I personally was LMFAO that the "Nova Future Chip Factory" is SO OBVIOUSLY the building they use for the exterior shots of the GSPO in LupinPat....
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I see a V2 was posted. What was fixed?
Sinkuu wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 pm I personally was LMFAO that the "Nova Future Chip Factory" is SO OBVIOUSLY the building they use for the exterior shots of the GSPO in LupinPat....
It goes without saying, these movies are kind of cheap. :lol:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Guess the karaoke got broke wheN I edited it