Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

What is your Tokusatsu fandom like?

Post by takenoko »

Inspired by Tokusatsu GAGAGA, I'm curious about what other people's fandoms are like? How'd you come to toku? Do you collect stuff? Do other people in your life know you're a toku fan or do you keep your regular and your toku friends separate?

I don't remember personally, but I remember watching some Ryuki when I was visiting Japan. I'd watched some Power Rangers as a teen but I didn't stick with it. Came to the irc channel #tokusatsu to download more Ryuki raws, #tokusatsu turned into #TV-Nihon and we started doing some fansubs and been around ever since.

I don't really have any toku friends in real life, but it's not a big secret either. I'll usually just show people Kamen Rider and they'll ask if it's Power Rangers. That's just how it goes lol. Maybe it's different now that more people know what toku is though.

I wear nerd shirts and display books about anime and games on my desk, even some toys, so that aspect of my life is no secret.

How about you guys?
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: What is your Tokusatsu fandom like?

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm How about you guys?
Eh, you guys are about it. It's by no means a secret, but in my other circles of friends, even the nerdier ones tend to be more into comics or anime than giant robots. This is more an amusing way to spend an hour or two each week, watching some really good fake fighting and over-the-top explosions. :D

Not that I particularly show it in public though. I've never been much of a merch person. The one exception is my Soul of Chogokin Daizyujin (Dino Megazord) - the quintessential toy that I never got a kid - and that sits on my bookshelf at work. But that's MMPR and I'm the boss, so no one really raises an eye. :P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

No one questions the boss!

I have a Voltron, G Gundam, and Arcee on my desk. Before that it was Masterpiece Optimus.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

I have loved all things Japan since being a kid. I was around when Voltron was on TV, so the seeds of giant combining robots were sown early. I also loved Godzilla from a young age. When Power Rangers came around, I was a young teen and though the Japanese parts were cool, I didn't really stick with the show. I have a friend who REALLY loved Power Rangers, though. He kept watching it every year. I had lost touch with my friend when he moved out of state, but when he moved back, it reminded me of Power Rangers. I knew that Power Rangers was based on "some Japanese show" so I thought it'd be cool to find some current episodes and watch them with my friend. I eBayed it, and found some bootleg Goseiger DVDs. I bought a couple, watched them, and instantly fell in love. I showed my friend and he liked it more than Power Rangers. Incidentally, that's when I also discovered TVNihon, because those bootleg DVDs had TVN recordings on them. :lol: But when I noticed the "not for resale" warning in the intros along with TVN's name, I found the site and started downloading the shows.

I do buy merchandise. I primarily watch Super Sentai, for which I always buy at least the theme CDs. If I really like the music during the rest of the show, I'll buy more CDs. For some of the movies or specials, I'll buy Blu-rays. I bought the full series of Go-Onger on BD. Sometimes I buy the toys as well.

I don't necessarily hide my fandom, but I only actively share it with close friends. I have one other real-life friend who enjoys it, and that's the one I mentioned above.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Dude, I was the kid who'd draw a block person with rainbow colored limbs and that'd be my voltron.

Huh, I always disliked the "Not for resale" text since I figured it was patronizing and easily circumvented (just cut out the sponsor parts), but maybe it has its uses?

I used to like collecting CDs but few series have excited me enough to pick one up recently. Also, isn't Avex being an asshole and just not exporting to America now?

That's awesome if you know someone in real life who likes that stuff too!
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:22 pm Dude, I was the kid who'd draw a block person with rainbow colored limbs and that'd be my voltron.

Huh, I always disliked the "Not for resale" text since I figured it was patronizing and easily circumvented (just cut out the sponsor parts), but maybe it has its uses?

I used to like collecting CDs but few series have excited me enough to pick one up recently. Also, isn't Avex being an asshole and just not exporting to America now?

That's awesome if you know someone in real life who likes that stuff too!
In my case, it definitely had its use! I mean, I laughed when I saw it, since I literally bought the DVD, but then yeah, it pointed me to the source. They could have cut it, but they were lazy I guess. I'm glad I actually paid attention to the notes!

Voltron was so good. I mean, I honestly don't remember much as I haven't re-watched it since being a kid. I really need to pull out the GoLion DVDs and watch the originals. I bought them, but just haven't watched them yet.

Yeah, Avex did get weird about exporting to America, unfortunately. But Sentai has been releasing under Columbia so I haven't had any issues. I just pre-ordered the Ryusoulger LE, which apparently has the theme for the Super Sentai Strongest Battle miniseries on it as well.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I have 2 other friends that are Godzilla fans. They don't like other toku, but at least I can talk Godzilla with them. And my tokusatsu friend (who likes almost anything hero-related in toku) doesn't like Godzilla. Go figure.

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”