Type: ISFJ Protector

Tokusatsu GAGAGA 05 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: N/A

Alt Title: Umi da!

I agree with this episode. Working full time sucks! Where's my free time????

I like the different representation of age groups though. I think that's a nice touch.

I'd take a photo of Yuki-chan with my phone.

I don't know what it is about this show, but it feels like more a collection of set pieces than a drama. Like "here's where Nakamura hangs out with Kitashiro" "here's where she learns something from Damien" "here's where she encounters a little girl". Sometimes it just feels like these pieces could be arranged in any order with little changing between them. Not that it's bad, but it just feels like the seams are showing.

Also loved Yoshida's awkward interactions with Damien. Wonder what the deal was with that.

Glad to have a light-hearted episode after all the drama of the last couple of episodes.

Didn't know the thing about the red and black backpacks being gendered, but it's not surprising. Really like the overall moral of this series being to let people like what they like. I think it's a pretty good message that can be applied to all aspects of life.

So now that Kitashiro is happy again, why is she still an imposing figure at work? And why did she change in the first place? She wasn't always that bitter. Either way, it's pretty funny to see Nakamura's coworkers reacting to her.

Did anyone else notice the nod to unlucky BoukenRed?
Cross
Go Go!

Re: Tokusatsu GAGAGA 05 released

Post by Cross »

takenoko wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 pm Also loved Yoshida's awkward interactions with Damien. Wonder what the deal was with that.
remember how yoshida react when she found out nakamura is about 10 years younger? shes just embarassed that she has same interest as a little kid
takenoko wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 pm So now that Kitashiro is happy again, why is she still an imposing figure at work? And why did she change in the first place? She wasn't always that bitter. Either way, it's pretty funny to see Nakamura's coworkers reacting to her.
when u have fixed an image in workplace, u dont simply change it, that will raise unnecessary attention
as to why she turned bitter in the first place, not sure how to put in words but because she learnt the true nature of people in society? and so she put up that figure as a barrier or something?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I'm really beginning to doubt how much of a fan Kano really is. She'd apparently never seen Celatol's suit before, despite the fact everyone would have seen it months ago in toy scans, and now she's completely unaware of the HBV. Namamura Kano is a fake fan.

She's also extremely delusional. She should maybe see a doctor about all these hallucinations she's having. That said, she and Akiba Red would be perfect for each-other.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

>I'm really beginning to doubt how much of a fan Kano really is. She'd apparently never seen Celatol's suit before, despite the fact everyone would have seen it months ago in toy scans, and now she's completely unaware of the HBV. Namamura Kano is a fake fan.

LOL, oh you.

>when u have fixed an image in workplace, u dont simply change it

But my confusion is, she wasn't that way before. We see how she was 6 months ago. Now Kitashiro is like the oldest stuffy lady even though the thing that was making her unhappy has been kind of cleared up.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

I had completely forgotten that Yoshida was a photographer; I was thinking, "How does she know these many photography tricks?"

Was Yutaka Kobayashi in this episode? One of the guys looked like him to me

Also, we have a kanji for ジュウショウワン? (I'm still not comfortable with writing the name in English, wonder why) "獣将王", was this revealed before or only recently?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Was Yutaka Kobayashi in this episode? One of the guys looked like him to me

/me drum rolls:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Tokusatsu_GAGAGA_04#Guests

He's a member of BOYS AND MEN, 8 of the members portray the Bee Boys

>Also, we have a kanji for ジュウショウワン? (I'm still not comfortable with writing the name in English, wonder why) "獣将王", was this revealed before or only recently?

I don't remember seeing it in episode, but I saw a pic from maybe the manga which shows its kanji form. It's like "Beast" plus "Commander" and "King" but the Chinese pronunciation of King.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 pm >Was Yutaka Kobayashi in this episode? One of the guys looked like him to me

/me drum rolls:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Tokusatsu_GAGAGA_04#Guests

He's a member of BOYS AND MEN, 8 of the members portray the Bee Boys
I knew this (because I had read the wiki page before), and I asked about him being in this particular episode; but he probably isn't here
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:27 pm >Also, we have a kanji for ジュウショウワン? (I'm still not comfortable with writing the name in English, wonder why) "獣将王", was this revealed before or only recently?

I don't remember seeing it in episode, but I saw a pic from maybe the manga which shows its kanji form. It's like "Beast" plus "Commander" and "King" but the Chinese pronunciation of King.
Your Tumblr is where I got the reading from, so I think I know what you're talking about

Also, does this mean the actual spelling could be something like "Juushouwang"? Sorry if this sounds dumb
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe? I think when we did DaiRanger we went with WongTiger?
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

And here comes the drama in a drama series, love the serious parts and finally letting the Ota's to their own devices, even the store owner in the beach didn't mind, i really wanted to see what they'll do without anyone breathing down their necks cause apparently, Ota's are still frowned upon in a workplace.

It's real cool they still managed to squeeze in some laughs, like when Onoda cunningly wanted to use his phone to get pics of Kano, the expression on Yuki's face was sweet.

I dunno what's more awkward, Yoshida knowing her hobbies are as the same as a kid or an adult introducing a 3rd grader as your Ota friend to your sempai lol!

The entire sword/key thing is so hilarious, like, "oh sh*t!, things are about to go down", the impending doom draws near :P

Kitashiro a step ahead with an alibi pic :)
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am But my confusion is, she wasn't that way before. We see how she was 6 months ago. Now Kitashiro is like the oldest stuffy lady even though the thing that was making her unhappy has been kind of cleared up.
she only fixed the rift between her and miyabi, the surrounding people's prejudice against otaku still didnt change though >.<
i maybe mistaken but isnt this current workplace is different from the one in the flashback?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>It's real cool they still managed to squeeze in some laughs, like when Onoda cunningly wanted to use his phone to get pics of Kano, the expression on Yuki's face was sweet.

I've definitely tried to pull something similar, so maybe there's a bit of an Onoda in me. Yuki is a cutie!

>I dunno what's more awkward, Yoshida knowing her hobbies are as the same as a kid or an adult introducing a 3rd grader as your Ota friend to your sempai lol!

I can see both sides. I think talking with kids is pretty fun as long as they're not spazzy or annoying. But if my friend was like "Here's my child buddy" I'd definitely have red alerts going off.
johnnytalker
Adventure
Favorite series: Super Sentai Series

Post by johnnytalker »

Good thing this isn't the first episode. If it was, I don't think it would get me hooked to the rest of the series. Not as strong as the previous ones but a few good things still happened.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

Another great episode that hits home!

Damien's scene was hilarious! I love how Nakamura heard his heart throb and it popped in the sky like it was one of his wise sayings. She even turned around to try and see it! I think this episode was inconspicuously about Yoshida in many places, including this scene. All throughout the episode, she is dealing with the reality of becoming an adult and moving on from playing like a child. Kano is still very innocent of many of the harsh realities of adulthood. She smiles all the time, even when telling a sad childhood story. She made friends with a kid that she actually takes advice from, and who understands acceptable adult-to-child social interactions (like giving candy to kids you don't know). But Yoshida is very much aware of these things. She's embarrassed to be introduced to a stranger child, because an adult "shouldn't" be a child's friend, or a Jyushouwan fan. She didn't even censor herself appropriately, admitting her favorite thing about Toraiger is his butt. :lol:

Watching Miyabi be the young, naive person she is, reminds Yoshida again that there is a big social barrier between youth and adulthood. Miyabi is still a student, has a lot of free time, doesn't understand job politics, came from a different generation (when backpacks came in multiple colors), and doesn't know a lot of things (like what a buoy is). That carefree attitude and youth should be refreshing and fun (like it is to us viewers and to Kitashiro and Nakamura), but it keeps reminding her of her age and the line of divide that she is standing on and is close to fully crossing. In Ep. 1, she was ready to cross it and give up toku altogether, until she met Kano. I can empathize; I DO empathize. I'm 38 years old and unmarried. Most of my friends from childhood and high school are married and many have kids. We don't hang out like we used to, and some of them have outgrown the things we did as kids. I mean, I've outgrown stuff, though obviously a big part of me holds onto certain things. I am a supervisor at my job and I have to be responsible and in a role of leadership, even when I feel low or in a place mentally where I just want to hide. I HAVE to BE an adult in real life. It's hard! And I remember being young at my job. When I started, I was one of the youngest employees there. But now, I'm literally training a lot of new young people and it's odd in a lot of ways. I feel like I can chat with them about fun stuff, play with them as it were, and yet, I'm in a position of authority and need to be a leader and can't always be a "friend." I can't try to hang out with my employees and forge friendship like I would when I was just an officer. There's a line there, despite the personal and philosophical part of me that knows we're all just people, and people can be friends at any age and share hobbies and interests and respect each other and enjoy each others' company.

Anyway, if you watch Yoshida's face throughout the episode, she has a lot of silent, pensive moments, even at the end when Kano falls asleep on her shoulder.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I think this episode was inconspicuously about Yoshida in many places, including this scene.

Yeah, I have to admit I really like her character. Maybe it's because we're similar in age, but there's just something really fascinating about her character. Maybe it's because she's on that borderline of quitting tokusatsu when she begins, so she's straddling the real world and the world of her fandom?

>and doesn't know a lot of things (like what a buoy is).

Oh, I meant to comment on that. She does a peace pose because to her, she thought Kitashiro said "V", since V/B are the same sound in Japanese.

>I'm 38 years old and unmarried. Most of my friends from childhood and high school are married and many have kids.

Haha, same

> I am a supervisor at my job and I have to be responsible and in a role of leadership, even when I feel low or in a place mentally where I just want to hide. I HAVE to BE an adult in real life.

Being a supervisor is tough, the scheduling and dealing with problem employees is a real pain!

> I can't try to hang out with my employees and forge friendship like I would when I was just an officer. There's a line there, despite the personal and philosophical part of me that knows we're all just people, and people can be friends at any age and share hobbies and interests and respect each other and enjoy each others' company.

Yeah, sadly, it's hard to make friends when you're older or if there's a gen gap.

>Anyway, if you watch Yoshida's face throughout the episode, she has a lot of silent, pensive moments, even at the end when Kano falls asleep on her shoulder.

Yeah. Again, I feel like she's at a crossroads and the thing at the end where she decides to pursue her camera passion is probably the result of a lot of her silent moments. It's real subtle story telling, but I like it!
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

Wow. Personally I think this is the most powerful episode so far. I teared up several times throughout and then fully let go at the end when she saw herself as the little girl. Really great writing. I laughed a ton too. I LOVE THIS SHOW! :-)

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”