Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Sentai Saikyou Battle Finals

Post by takenoko »

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

I think Gokaiger is strong, but mostly relies on cameos and nostalgia for its highest highs. Not that it's a bad thing, I think Gokaiger is Toei's most successful attempt at a nostalgiafest, with Decade following, and Zi-O last ironically enough. The cameos feel good, they fit in the world, and probably has the highest counts of feeling good after watching an episode.

The rangers are all great. Doc is hilarious and the suit actor for him was knocking out the fight scenes left and right, Milfy is sassy and Mao is an awesome actress, Marvelous is endlessly amusing and inscrutable as a leader. Joe is cool and Ahim is cute.

Gokaiger's weakest point is probably in its enemies. I remember the spoiled prince and the make-monsters-grow-lady but that's about it. As such, the story is less an ongoing narrative so much as its a grab bag of "let's see who shows up this week".

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

The Shinkengers are a celebration of kanji and traditional Japanese values. But I think this is kind of a surface level thing, the samurai and the serving of a lord, aren't the real reason why this show works. In the end, they really function as a team because this is their new family, they serve Takeru because of the real bond that's formed from this ordeal they go through, and that's more real for it. Also, bonus points for Jii who acts like Alfred, a servant who's actually more like Takeru's dad in reality. Even annoying 6th Genta works because he's Takeru's buddy and brings out a side not often seen under his stony facade.

The bad guys were alright. Doukoku is a big threat and Usukawadayuu is easily one of the stronger females among these three series (but not by much). The cool thing here is Fuwa Juuzou, who just acts as a fantastic villain and rival to Takeru. I love the late series twists and thought the show had a fantastic theme.

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters

I'll start with the weak points, I have a friend who doesn't like this series. When I asked him why, he said it's because he couldn't connect with any of the heroes, which is fair. The main trio aren't super strong, although I do like Hiromu's awkwardness and Youko's brattyness. Jin Masato and Beet J Stag really steal the show when they come in. They're fantastic.

What makes this series the killer one for me is the fantastic story. The trio being orphans of the same tragedy, the stylish suits, Jin and Beet as victims of the same origin, it's all really solid. And Escape Enter is probably the Loki of the Sentai universe, he's brilliant and cunning and he eats up the scenery. It's legitimately fun to watch him spar with the heroes, and like the story is just so solid and has such unforgettable scenes, that it sticks with you. Bonus points for it parodying itself in Doubutsu Sentai Go-Busters.
Skull Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Other rider series
Favorite Band: Maximum The Hormone
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Funya~

Post by Skull Rider »

I am voting for Gokaiger, and Gokaiger only. To think that this is the only Sentai I watch from the beginning till the final episode + movie.

The only Shinkenger that I know were from Decade.

Gobuster were good, but I stop watching it halfway.
Completed : V3, Amazon, Black, Black RX, ZX, Shin, J, ZO, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

Go-Busters is an easy pick for me because I never have gotten bored or impatient of watching it. Wich is sad because I would love to say this for the more recent ones but I'll have to pick this show from 7-8 years ago. It was a minor attempt of new approach to the formula that unfortunately was not well received by majority.

Never thought about a personal top 5, but I quite sure that Go-Busters it would be the only show for 00's on it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's a cool avatar.
silvarion
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: Ore sanjou!

Post by silvarion »

I'm so torn... all three are my most favorites from super sentai series :((((
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

Gokaiger is extremely strong...
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

It would be alot harder for me to choose if Shinkenger was not one of the choices. Lucky for me Shinkenger is a head and shoulder ahead of the other two. I liked Gokaiger better than Go buster but only slightly and not because of nostalgia but because of the mechanics of changing into different forms and searching for treasure concept which is why i liked boukenger too.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

So, after a month and a half of extremely showy action ( :wink: ), Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger has been declared "Strongest Super Sentai Season", or SSSS for short.
Congratulations to the cast, the crew, AkaRed, and the TriForce treasure, for showing us how pirates do things. ( :wink: )

On a different note, Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman was voted "Sloppiest Super Sentai Season" (SSSS for short) with a grand total of f*ck-all votes. Oh brother!
It's those dolls, man. I'm telling you.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like we have a winner! Wish it had been a closer race, but what can you do. Can't beat the power of nostalgia, I guess? All three competitors were strong though. I'll do a more formal announcement when I get home from work.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Gokaiger won?
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

This otaku is not surprised in the least. Gokaiger was a PERFECT season even if they got rid of most of the nostalgia. :3

Return to “Sentai”