is this series worth it?

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

is this series worth it?

Post by Sinkuu »

I'm not trying to flame, but if needs to be deleted, I understand.

I watched the first few eps, and.... I couldn't get into it.

I felt like they were just wasting all the cameos, and it wasn't holding my attention. I delved into the end of LupinPat, and now, Ryusoul. also decided to start watching MagiRanger, finally.

With 01 coming, I wanna know if it's worth trying to binge the series and catch up.

again, not trying to troll, I'm legit asking, I wanna know if the show picked up steam and turned things around.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: is this series worth it?

Post by Lunagel »

I think the answer is a resounding "Ehhhhhh"
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

To be fair, it gets better after the first 12 episodes. Up until then, the series is definitely a mess as it's rushing to get toys out and hasn't yet figured out how it wants to do its nostalgia. After that, the plot starts to get nailed down and things get better. Not great, but better.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'd say not really. As far as we've gotten, other than the Agito arc, it hasn't really done anything well.

The early arc cameos aren't used to their fullest and time travel aspects are non sensical. Like most recent rider shows, it picks up a little after the first quarter, but I think the general consensus is that the characters fall flat and don't really carry the show that well. The last batch of rider cameos are better than the first (still with varying quality).
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I say not really
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

As we're closer to end I'd say.....ehhhhh. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. It's an anniversary series but I feel they spend too much time on the past riders at the expense of the current story. The episodes where they actually focus on the story tend to be good, but then you get frustrated when you see the potential the series had. As of now, there are five episodes left and without spoiling anything, I can say that they introduce elements that would have been better introduced the first ten episodes or so.

It seems like the story might wrap up nicely, but an excellent final few episodes doesn't make up for a meh season.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

I think i'm a biiiiit more positive towards this show than most here. It definitely has a VERY rocky start and it takes maybe 8-10 episodes before we start getting (imo) passable-good episodes and it does vary WILDLY in quality throughout but overall i think it's worth a watch in spite of these problems. There are enough episodes in this show that had me fist pumping the air because of the awesome that i feel it outweighs the rough start and the quality dips. Is it a 10/10 series like W that i would recommend everyone watch? Absolutely not. Is it Kiva or Blade levels of screaming into a pillow in rage basically every episode? Not even close.

I feel like the biggest upswings are around 8-19 being overall good episodes (admittedly with some questionable moments) then another dip until 28 which is possibly the best episode of the show and from that point on it's almost all in various levels of decent-great for me other than the 2nd half of the kiva tribute, that episode is utter dogshit.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

You know what, I'd say check it out. If the episode's not grabbing you, just skip it and move on to the next one. There's definitely good stuff here, if you dig for it.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”