Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger 30 Released!

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 pm

★★★★★
25%
★★★★
25%
★★★
25%
★★
13%
13%

Total votes: 8
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger 30 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 4.00 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title: Koh: Big of heart, dumb of ass

I don't have any commentary so I'll just share what I wrote in the script comments

03:37 Set Although I'm fairly sure...
03:39 Set ...he used to be a bit slimmer before...{fat shaming!}

05:25 Blue It's hard, fast, and strong! {harder faster better strongerrrrrrr}{insert Six Million Yen Man sound effects}

09:41 RyuDefault I won't stop believing. {DON'T. STOP. BELIEVINNNNNGGGG}

20:10 RyuDefault It doesn't matter if you're Gaisorg! {uhhh yeah it does}
Lunagel
Mofu~

Re: Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger 30 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

Actually I lied, I do have commentary.

First: NAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Second: OMG NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Third: christ Nao was really underused in this episode
Fourth: NAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The whole plot seemed a little... too relevant? I hesitate to use the term "incel" since I know what a can of worms that can open, but it was very on the mark in regards to a certain type of man. Did the writer have a bad break-up or something?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This episode was terrible for a number of reasons.

1) The main plot of the episode is lame in the sense I feel like it is set up to be another Gold episode, but he really doesn't do too much in it. Nao is criminally underused in her appearance, and considering she is a favourite Sentai Alum, I find this the most offensive aspect of the whole thing.

2) The Gaisorg plot is stupid. He hasn't actually done anything and I don't really understand how anyone is supposed to care about Nada at all or what Nadas motivation is.

3) The two plots don't blend well together.

At least the mech designs this series are good.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I thought this was alright all in all. I really would have rather we not have another regular monster-of-the-week plot at the same time we're delving into Gaisorg/Nada of course. There was no reason for the different threads to share the episode, but I thought both were done fine enough.

That said, I don't really have anything to say about the guy and his woes about not finding love. The premise was straightforward, as was the resolution. I guess I do like knowing that Canalo doesn't let himself feel bitter or pessimistic from all the rejection he faces. I know that wasn't the point of the story, but it did remind me that his gimmick could be a whole lot worse.

Obviously the more interesting stuff was about Gaisorg. I do wished the show had Nada acting as more of an ally to the heroes so that his dark side coming out would hit harder, regardless if it was predictable or not. That being said, I actually got really into the scene where he starts raving to Towa about how his envy turned into his desperation for more power.

...What I don't like is when Towa questions how Nada found the armour in the first place, Nada's answer is basically 'i just happened to find it. In space.' Like, wow, really? I shouldn't have accepted it as quickly as I did, but I must still be too used to how Zi-O had important power-ups materialise out of thin air for the flimsiest of reasons.

I really thought at the end that Nada was going to run his sword right through Koh, then Koh would look down and see the blade sticking out his front! I know that's insane and would never happen, but the filming of that whole scene was looking a lot like something out of a slasher movie!
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Is Koh another Alata (Gosei Red) in this series? Pure heart, stupid act, always smile and make friend? Can't stand with Koh in this episode anymore.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

If Koh is anyone from Goseiger, he's Agri. The meathead of the group.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm 3) The two plots don't blend well together.
My thoughts exactly. We have a Cantaloupe plot and a Gaisorg plot; both are good, but they aren't good together. Hey, wait a second... maybe this is some double meta thing on relationships? :shock:

In some sense episodes like this are the most unfortunate. They have everything they need for a great episode (and a proper follow-up to last week's), but it just never comes together in a satisfying way. Instead we have a Canolo story that isn't given room to breathe, and a Gaisorg backstory that feels half-complete.

I did like Nada's little monologue though. It's straight-up the most interesting the character has been since his introduction.

Also, while this episode was a lot lighter on the Sakamoto-isms, we still got some neat camera tricks, a running transformation, and a fantastic untransformed Bamba fight. Man, if only this was still like a 90s Sentai where an actor/character like that could be Red...

This whole episode makes me feel like a bunch got left on the cutting room floor. Wiseru just straight up isn't there after summoning the pawns, Nao is criminally underused, etc.
BreadToku wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 pm...What I don't like is when Towa questions how Nada found the armour in the first place, Nada's answer is basically 'i just happened to find it. In space.' Like, wow, really? I shouldn't have accepted it as quickly as I did, but I must still be too used to how Zi-O had important power-ups materialise out of thin air for the flimsiest of reasons.
Right? This show seems to be unwilling to commit to whether SSSB is canon or not. It drops little hints that it is, but then the Gaisorg backstory completely omits any mention of that battle. Which is annoying, because one of the big, practical questions about Gaisorg is how long the armor has possessed Nada.
I really thought at the end that Nada was going to run his sword right through Koh, then Koh would look down and see the blade sticking out his front! I know that's insane and would never happen, but the filming of that whole scene was looking a lot like something out of a slasher movie!
Ditto to this. The attack was very clearly telegraphed (which is not a bad thing). But I was expecting something a little more dire than a slash that 'tis but a flesh wound.
Lunagel wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:13 am The whole plot seemed a little... too relevant? I hesitate to use the term "incel" since I know what a can of worms that can open, but it was very on the mark in regards to a certain type of man. Did the writer have a bad break-up or something?
Okay, so I wasn't the only one that got this impression. The Canolo side of the story really does feel like it was written by a woman after a bad breakup. Which is amusing in some senses, but also out of place by Sentai standards (especially in a series where a running gag is a guy needing to get married).
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pm If Koh is anyone from Goseiger, he's Agri. The meathead of the group.
Agreed. Alata was calm to the point of being passive. Koh is nowhere near that passive.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Just make Nao the user of Gaisorg all along. Then you may fix this show.

Was I the only one who really hated the "Asuna is the victim again only to get treated in 2 seconds"?
Behold the Emperor!
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Ngl, I actually want to see the terrestrial broadcast (even if it's just raws), just out of sheer curiosity how Japan does these typhoon bulletins. Can someone please direct me to a link for such raws? (even if it's not T-N's copy)
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Looks like I had a better time than most with this one. I guess I just enjoyed Koh not being the center of the episode?

While watching the episode, I predicted that Nao would be the actual creator of the Minusaur, but I guess I overthought it. I mean, why bring in a big sentai alum?

>Also, while this episode was a lot lighter on the Sakamoto-isms, we still got some neat camera tricks

Yeah, that was a cool shot. Not sure how they did it.

>Right? This show seems to be unwilling to commit to whether SSSB is canon or not. It drops little hints that it is, but then the Gaisorg backstory completely omits any mention of that battle. Which is annoying, because one of the big, practical questions about Gaisorg is how long the armor has possessed Nada.

The scene of Nada picking up the Gaisorg helmet is straight from the end of SSSB though? Isn't that canon enough?
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Wow; wasn't expecting that. In a way, this felt like what Episode 27 should have been: while that episode had smatterings of what I felt should have been character moments for Melto, Asuna, and Koh, this one has a segment on Canalo played straight (and without revolving around a prospective wife at that), some exposition with both motivation and conflict from Nada, and Asuna in a motivated one-on-one fight--and somehow, the episode all feels coherent. It seemed to respect the characters in a way that I hadn't been seeing previously, which does seem appropriate for an episode with a more character-driven focus.

Nada is neither purely evil nor purely misunderstood, making him possibly the most interesting character yet if the series progresses well, and I feel it's a good move to keep him as an antagonist for now, given the lack of interesting or multilayered villains for the series so far. I'd also been feeling tired of Canalo's repeated marriage attempts, so for me having a marriage counselor solved that issue while both keeping Canalo in character and allowing us to take him a bit more seriously. I didn't particularly have an issue with its anti-toxicity themes; I thought it was pretty appropriate for its intended audience. I guess I liked the episode overall because it was about the characters, which--from what I've heard--is what well-done Sentai does best.
Slowking wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:45 am Was I the only one who really hated the "Asuna is the victim again only to get treated in 2 seconds"?
Yeah; right after episode 28 that didn't sit with me well. I felt Asuna's fight sequence near the climax made up for it, but it's still kind of annoying.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I guess it makes sense given the minusaur of the week, but having it right after that last episode was kinda lame.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Mxylv wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm I didn't particularly have an issue with its anti-toxicity themes; I thought it was pretty appropriate for its intended audience.
I didn't really have a problem with it, I think it just felt... perhaps too relevant? Not that that's a bad thing, it's just probably me worried that a touchy subject like this will draw out the crazy people.

I think you're right that it sends a good message though. It reinforces that just being educated/wealthy isn't enough, you need to have a good personality as well. It's definitely an important thing to tell kids in regards to their current friendships and possibly future relationships.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Didn't catch this until second viewing, it's very subtle, but the brochure at 0:31 is a nod to Nagasawa Nao and her roles both in and out of sentai. Could only put a few notes in the episode itself so this will all be going on the wiki. I only caught the stuff on the front, so all the rest of this I just copied and translated from here.

Front cover:
あなたの秘めた忍び恋を現実に (anata no himeta shinobi koi wo genjitsu ni) has the title "Shinobi Koi", which was her Hurricanger character song.
信じた未来に頑張ろう (shinjita mirai ni ganbarou) is a line from the opening theme song of Hurricanger
Platinum Lily Wedding is a reference to her role as Lily Shirogane (リリィ白銀, written with the kanji for "silver color") in Kamen Rider W.
The logo of the company is incredibly similar to the dolphin tail emblem of Hurricane Blue

Inside left:
はやてのごとき入会をお待ちしております (We await your swift-as-the-wind application) is a reference to Hurricanger
幸せは待っているだけでは水のように掴めません。今こそ勇気のハリケーンを起こしましょう! (You cannot just wait for happiness, just as you cannot grab water. Raise up your hurricane of courage!) is an obvious Hurricanger reference.

Inside right:
Under the "Members' occupations" for the women, it lists nurse, enka singer, magician, housewife, and teacher. She was a nurse in tv drama Danryuu (2007), enka singer in Hurricanger, magician in KR W, housewife in Hero Mama League, and teacher in KR Fourze, GTO (2012) and Garo YwTM.

Under "Comments from members" there's a comment from a 30 year old enka singer. The comment underneath says "Say bye bye!" which is the Hurricangers' finishing quip. One more under that says "I thought it was 20,000 years too soon for me to get married!" which is a line from Ultraman Zero

Bottom line says 私たちはお客様の影となって全力でサポートさせて頂きます! (We will become your shadow and give you all our support) which is yet another Hurricanger reference.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”