Primary and Secondary Kamen Riders on First Name Basis

Rider Finish
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Primary and Secondary Kamen Riders on First Name Basis

Post by hiro9796 »

As the subject implies, it is about primary riders and secondary riders addressing each other by first name basis regardless with/without honorifics or nicknames. I am aware about the Japanese culture/tradition that you only address people by first name when you are very close. I do get that part. Of course you can't call Horobi, Izu and Jin by their surname when they only have one name instead of two as full names. So how come Kamen Rider does not have this so often when they are actually getting along after a few episodes while Super Sentai pretty much drop the last name basis with first name (for the most part when none of the members had honorary titles like lord/chief/boss)?

I do remember Kousuke (Mayonnaise Beast) and Ryuuga (Cross-Z) do call Wizard and Build by their first name but it does not go both ways. Some of the series where the primary riders address each other by first name and that goes both ways, if I remember correctly, was Gaim and Baron, Fourze and Meteor. Who else? I know it's nothing of a big deal other than curiosity but In the end you will only remember Kabuto, Gatack, Vulcan, Valkryie and the first thing you said is Tendou, Kagami, Fuwa and Yaiba respectively instead of Souji, Arata, Isamu and Yua.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Primary and Secondary Kamen Riders on First Name Basis

Post by takenoko »

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but in general what you call a person is reflective of your relationship to said person as well as your own personality. Banjou is easygoing and casual so he addresses Build by his given name. Build is kind of uptight and maybe doesn't like Banjou as much so he uses a more formal family name.

Closer relationship, casual relationships, equal social status equals more likelihood of using a given name.

Let's go back to Zero-One. Fuwa and Jin refer to Aruto as President and Zero-One, it's just a business relationship for those guys. Fuwa is Yaiba's coworker, but they're not really friends, so he calls her Yaiba instead of Yua. Mr. 1000 isn't friends with Yaiba, but he is her superior, so him using her given name is a power move. That's why it's rude to address a Japanese person by their given name if you've only just met them, since it implies a closeness that the other party may not reciprocate.

Japanese names and honorifics make Japanese language fun!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I feel like in fiction it's usually done to try and emphasise particular aspects of a character and there isn't any consistency as to how usage of a given name would evolve in real life.

In Kabuto, Tendo and Kagami never address each other by their given names, and they go from having a strong rivalry to becoming pretty much brothers by the series end.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

In real life and the internet society, it depends on your relationship with others. But these fictional characters, it's open interpretation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 am In Kabuto, Tendo and Kagami never address each other by their given names, and they go from having a strong rivalry to becoming pretty much brothers by the series end.
I dunno, I feel like brothers would be a stretch. They gain a respect for each other, but I'd never consider Tendo and Kagami to be casual friends

It amuses me that in a cut Kiramager plot, Jyuuru is an outsider of the group and even told not to address the other established members by their given names, until he proves himself

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”