My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 12 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.11 /5 stars (9 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Is Kento really dead? Do you promise?

What? So the fake out is that Rintarou doesn't die, but it's Kento? Even though every character should have seen this coming a mile away...?!

I don't trust this main writer to kill anyone off. We see the narrator and Avalon guy at Kento's death, so I'm guessing they'll take him away to be King Arthur or something dumb like that

In more suspicious news, we find out the girl's name is Luna! I have no idea about how to feel that Lunagel has been a Toei spy this whole time

Wait, is the goal of the 6 spots to get a different swordsman to trigger each spot? If so, shouldn't someone be off distracting Kenzan too? And wouldn't killing off Rintarou and Kento run counter to that plan? What the fuck is the villain's plan???

4/5 stars, I guess this was a goodish episode? The fights were fun and it feels like it's story relevant. But not a fan of the setup for Kento's death. Both for the fact that Kento is an idiot who doesn't learn anything, his friends are idiots for not seeing his naked plan, and for the writer to "kill" off the second most annoying swordsman and expect us to care

Hallelujah, this is the first episode to not introduce a new book

Edit: Just noticed that Touma reads Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves in episode 1 and Kento's power is based on Aladdin. Probably not a coincidence
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KR Saber 12 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Did Kento die? They aren't super clear about it.

The thing that annoys me the most is that at the end of the last episode, Kento is upset because he was angry and rushed into battle with Calibur and nearly got killed, only to get angry and rush into battle with Calibur and get killed (?).
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm
In more suspicious news, we find out the girl's name is Luna! I have no idea about how to feel that Lunagel has been a Toei spy this whole time
/me shifty eyes
I have no idea what you're talking about. The secretary has disavowed any knowledge of my actions.

Seriously guys, knowing it's a trap but rushing in anyway and then making a surprised pikachu face is not the greatest look for you

Maybe if they were smarter. Maybe if they studied and learned strategy and read some books...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:48 am Did Kento die? They aren't super clear about it.

The thing that annoys me the most is that at the end of the last episode, Kento is upset because he was angry and rushed into battle with Calibur and nearly got killed, only to get angry and rush into battle with Calibur and get killed (?).
ANd kids, that's what we call CHARACTERIZATION

Or maybe it's shit writing. One of the two lol
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

I liked the episode. Better than the last one. I was pretty surprised at Kento's death. I guess it's kinda pathetic how it happened, the story wasn't that great.... I still doubt that he's not coming back. I mean, Kento is like the 3rd most important swordsman and Kamen Rider. So, I have a feeling that he's gonna come back. And I am curious to know about this friend Luna of theirs. Will she come back to the show as an adult? And I think I don't get the three of their promise..... What was it again, to always stay together....(?) That's a bit stupid and unrealistic to me.....
I liked the ED though. It included all the main characters. I once saw takenoko complain about the ending not changing, I hope this makes him satisfied.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, doesn't the plan require all the swordsman killing the monster to make the pillar of light? Wouldn't killing Kento make it not work?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 am I liked the ED though. It included all the main characters. I once saw takenoko complain about the ending not changing, I hope this makes him satisfied.
What are you talking about? I mention it every time it changes
I mad ea comparison video about how many times it changes: XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrw8Y-ksc8o
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Eeeeh, I didn't really feel the emotional hook of this one. Not because I believe Kento will be fine (I mean he will be fine even if he has to be 'dead' for a little bit, and it'd be ridiculous to get rid of him at this point of the show), but there's just a lot of little things that kept be from being invested. Part of it is that none of the cast has super endeared them to me much even 12 weeks in, and another part is that the conflict right now is so vague, what with the villain's plan still being a total mystery and Calibur still being boring to me.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I think I have to give this a 5/5 BECAUSE it was dumb and cliche.

Lunagel being a spy aside (now we know how she always does such accurate work), there's no more of that idiotic "Tōma has amnesia so bad that sometimes he gets amnesia about the fact that he has amnesia", and his childhood promise was appropriately childish. Still, promising to always be together only to see your best friend ripped into a wormhole has to be pretty traumatic, which is why he's still making silly promises and taking them seriously.

I like it when Darwin wins, even though we all know it's not permanent. It does explain why Kento was so barely used in the end credits before now, but we all know this isn't the early Heisei and Toei's too scared of life-ophobic parental backlash to properly kill someone off. Kamen Rider's the 201x version of GI-Joe - Drop a train on them and they'll be back next episode with barely a scratch. But seriously, I like to think Kento dying wasn't part of the plan and Calibur's ego got the better of him.

Tassel and Avalon Guy are directly involved now, which suggests to me they're either rooting for the good guys (unlikely) or (more likely) are going to bring Kento back just so the gate can be completed. I have a feeling Tassel is going to be having some words with Calibur about his fumbling the ball (no creepy Tassel puns intended).

The things that interest me most is what DIDN'T happen this episode. I have a feeling the key Sophie gave Mei made her the new guardian of the Northern base. We still don't know what happened to Sophie, but I'm going to bet it was Avalon Guy who took her hoping it would lower the base's defenses. We still know nothing about the woman from Southern Base, but we DO know she's still around and was present at the place Sophie later disappeared from. Where did she go after that phone call?

I'm really starting to feel like this series is a tokusatsu remake of Soap, with the "find out next episode but we won't actually tell you next episode" cliffhangers, the completely dysfunctional family (Rintarō and Kento even remind me of Chuck and Bob), and bizarre random events and plot twists happening because reasons.

Heisei had one terrible show in each phase (well, Drive is almost a bad as Ghost, but it at least tried to keep a plot), so I'm hoping Saber is going to be the low point of early Reiwa. It's not the worst by any means, but Zero-One set a pretty high bar and actually felt relevant to current events (virii, racism, corporate disconnect, etc.). Saber is... well... It's a thing that should be more than a thing.

But hey, at least we know there are "only" six Riders and hopefully nobody from Southern Base will show up. For a while I thought they were trying to outdo Kyūranger on how many sentai members they can cram in. But then again, that show was supposed to have nine members and it ended at 12, so this could still get uglier...
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Did people not like Drive? As meandering as it was, the goodness of its characters (minus Mach) really made up for its shortcomings for me (unlike Build where the goodness of its characters was its only saving grace from its story for me XD)
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

12 episodes already and they're really living up with the fast paced nonstop progression. One conflict after another. If they continue like this, its what will make this installment completely different from those that came before it.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:37 pm 12 episodes already and they're really living up with the fast paced nonstop progression. One conflict after another. If they continue like this, its what will make this installment completely different from those that came before it.
I feel like this strategy can backfire in the second half of the show

Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Ashki wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:54 pm
Lunagel being a spy aside (now we know how she always does such accurate work)
You please me. I shall kill you last.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I liked you better when you were W's best Gaia memory Luna.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I preferred being the second Akiba Blue myself...

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”