TV-Nihon Member Kamen Rider Questionnaire

Rider Finish
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

TV-Nihon Member Kamen Rider Questionnaire

Post by Catastrophe »

So there have been a couple of discussion threads in the past few months where users have been discussing preferences for different post revival shows (Kuuga onwards). While there seems to be some kind of clear consensus on what the top few shows are, everything else after that seems to be a little unclear.

I want to conduct a questionnaire that collects more information than just what your favourite series is. The questions are:

What year did you start watching Kamen Rider?
What series did you first watch as it was released weekly?
What series did you first complete? (If different from the previous answer)
What is your favourite series?
What is your least favourite series?
What series do you enjoy, but you feel like the consensus is that it is not a good series?
What series do you not enjoy, but you feel like the consensus is that it is a good series?
Was there, if any, a series you enjoyed when you first watched it but you don't look back on it as fondly?
Was there, if any, a series you disliked when you first watched it but you look back on it more fondly?

I'd prefer it if there was only one answer per question, as it makes the data easier to collate at the end. I'd also prefer if you answer only included series that are finished (so no Saber). I'm also not really interested in what the reason is for each of the answers at this stage. There are already a few discussion threads going, so you can talk about that kind of thing there.

Finally, if you're a lurker and not a regular poster, It'd be nice if you could pop in and drop your opinion before vanishing again. It's clear that the board regulars have different preferences then some of the semi-regulars and lurkers, and it would be nice to get a broad series of answers.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: TV-Nihon Member Kamen Rider Questionnaire

Post by Catastrophe »

Mine

What year did you start watching Kamen Rider? : 2008

What series did you first watch as it was released weekly? :Kiva

What series did you first complete? (If different from the previous answer): Kabuto

What is your favourite series?: W

What is your least favourite series?: Ghost

What series do you enjoy, but you feel like the consensus is that it is not a good series? :Build

What series do you not enjoy, but you feel like the consensus is that it is a good series? :Ex-Aid

Was there, if any, a series you enjoyed when you first watched it but you don't look back on it as fondly? :Faiz

Was there, if any, a series you disliked when you first watched it but you look back on it more fondly? :Decade
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'd recommend you try creating an online survey form so the results are easier to collate
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Yeah I think should probably just be a google form.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Fuck you guys are lazy.
windfall
Sentai Senshi

Post by windfall »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:53 pm Fuck you guys are lazy.
Just because you called me lazy I have made the form for you. https://forms.gle/oET7uCvxf9gQPmsE8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

windfall wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 pm
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:53 pm Fuck you guys are lazy.
Just because you called me lazy I have made the form for you. https://forms.gle/oET7uCvxf9gQPmsE8
The system works!

Answered
windfall
Sentai Senshi

Post by windfall »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:28 pm The system works!

Answered
Spite is the most powerful motivator!

The form is set up so we can all see the responses, but in case anyone wants to see the results without filling out the survey, I think this link should work: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."

Post by Mighty Action X »

The first Kamen Rider I watched was Black but still using antenna TV back then, the network that broadcast is rarely available. The first KR that I watched and finished was Ryuki. Next was Faiz and Blade. After that, I started watching it online when the internet era finally become widespread in my country.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

The only thing I didn't like about the poll was that I couldn't pick Saber as my least favorite series xD
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Why not, sounds fun to think about. I started watching Rider when I was a little, the first one I ever laid eyes on was a dubbed version of Ryuki back in 2002/03. As for when I started following weekly releases, it's hard to say for me, since there was a lot of me dipping in and out of shows like Gaim and Drive, before I started fully following from the middle of Ex-Aid all the way till now. I'm tempted to count Fourze as that is what was airing when I first learned about subbing groups and wanted to keep track of their work.

My favourite and least favourite, which I've said before in other places, are OOO and Kiva respectively. I think I at the very least like or moderately enjoy every single Rider series except for Kiva. So that makes my answer for 'shows I like, but consensus that it is not good' really easy, since I'm not as hard on Wizard and Ghost the way so many others are.

For the questions about whether my opinion has changed from since I first watched it... Well, I'm not as crazy over Gaim and Ex-Aid as when I first watched those shows. On the flip-side, I'm a lot more forgiving and fond towards Faiz and Kabuto these days, and although I'm still overall disappointed with Zi-O, I choose to mostly remember it for the good points now.
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

I kinda expect this thing to be a bit all over the place, given how diverse the Rider Fandome actually is. I've seen every series be someone's favorite or least favorite.

One thing that would have been interesting as well, would be a do you hate this show, are you neutral on the show and a do you like this show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Here, feel free to copy and paste:

Kuuga: Like
Agito: Like
Ryuki: Like
555: Dislike
Blade: Like
Hibiki: Neutral
Kabuto: Like
Den-O: Like
Kiva: Dislike
Decade: Like
W: Like
OOO: Neutral
Fourze: Neutral
Wizard: Neutral
Gaim: Like
Drive: Neutral
Ghost: Didn't watch after episode 1
Ex-Aid: Dislike
Build: Like the characters, dislike almost everything else
Zi-O: Like (I know it's a mess, but the good stuff outweighs it)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

There's a distinct lack of Showa options here.

Ichigou: Decent. Really drags around the 50s/60s. Taki should have been a Rider.
V3: Basically a continuation of the last show. The Youth Rider Squad is too ridiculous a concept to take seriously. Shiro keeping his identity a secret makes 0 sense.
X: Meh.
Amazon: Definitely liked it more.
Stronger: Tachibana was basically pointless for the first half and there's no real sense of comfort like the last shows. They have no home base, no regulars besides Tachibana. By the time it got good they were killing off Tackle and bringing in the old Riders.
Kuuga: I DESPISED Kuuga when I saw it back in 2013. Entire scenes conducted in Grongi language without subtitles is not my idea of entertainment.
Agito: Hikawa is great. The show is okay.
Ryuki: I love it, mostly cause I love the Riders. The actual plot has a real problem with no explaining anything. How did Kanzaki Shiro become God of the Mirror World? Why did Yui's drawings become real?
555: Really liked this.
Blade: I barely remember this show, which says a lot.
Hibiki: This is the Ohranger of Rider. In that the person in the title is not the main character. And I hate it.
Kabuto: Grandma said this: "It's okay."
Den-O: I re-watched this recently, and it's WAY worse than people give it credit for. Watch this for the fun characters, not for anything resembling a good plot.
Kiva: Still a better love story than Twilight.
Decade: This is like a teenager's bad AU fanfic where everyone is at an American High School for some reason.
OOO: First one I saw. Probably needs a re-watch.
Fourze: I wish I could forget this so I could watch it for the first time again.
Wizard: Marathoned the first half and saw the rest as it aired. At the time I considered it my reward for enduring Kyoryuger. I wish the Mages hadn't been so poorly handled.
Gaim: Definitely has a lot of padding.
Drive: Needs a re-watch probably.
Ghost: Re-watched it recently and I liked it WAY more. Also Fumi-baa's death and how it's treated by the characters is one of the best lessons any of these shows has tried to teach kids. In a show all about coming back to life, we have a beloved character who dies of natural causes, and rather than try to revive her, they accept her death, and celebrate her life and all the people she touched.
Ex-Aid: Definitely has its issues, but I like it.
Build: Build for me is the epitome of the writers giving a shit about continuity, with how it handled the universes.
Zi-O: The only good thing about it is the Future Riders.
Zero-One: Decent.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Kuuga: Like
Agito: Like
Ryuki: Like
555: Like
Blade: Didn't watch
Hibiki: Didn't watch
Kabuto: Like
Den-O: Only watched the movies
Kiva: Dislike
Decade: Like
OOO: Neutral
Fourze: Dislike
Wizard: Dislike

Got discouraged to continue catching up every week after the painful nightmare with Fourze and Wizard. But had to watch a bit in order to work on the wiki.
Gaim:
Drive:
Ghost:
Ex-Aid:
Build:
Zi-O: Mostly dislike, but like when Tsukasa/Decade and Kaitou/DiEnd were included

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”