windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Do the post Decade Riders suck?

Post by windfall »

I'm a little surprised at the placement of Fourze since I thought both of them had some pretty terrible pacing issues. With Fourze, they spent so many episodes on a few of the horoscopes that the rest of them had to be crammed in towards the end and basically treated as monsters of the week instead of a higher tier. Wizard was similar in that they took forever before they got around to the plan of finding the mages that there just weren't enough episodes left to much with them so they were little more than mcguffins.

I suppose Fourze characters were more appealing, at least they were memorable compared to the Wizard cast. Although Wizard does have Infinity Style which is a rather amazing design compared to pretty much everything else.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Good characters and acting can make something enjoyable even if other parts of the show are packing.

The issue is when the plot sucks, the characters suck and the acting is bad.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

I started with Ex-Aid, then moved onto Kiva, and am currently following Saber.

Does this mean I have shit tastes? 🤔
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

TheNinjaDragon wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 pm I started with Ex-Aid, then moved onto Kiva, and am currently following Saber.

Does this mean I have shit tastes? 🤔
Not totally. Just take your time to enjoy more after completing Saber. Then give your overall feedback in the future.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Speaking as someone who enjoys the Showa era and writes for a lining, I think my perspective tends to be rather skewed from the norm. For example, my childhood best friend's mother was a published children's author, so I learned from a young age that different age groups have different requirements when writing. Because of that, I tend to give a lot more leeway towards plotholes and hiccups in writing.

Heisei Phase 1 I thought was mostly good. I even managed to get a friend into Kamen Rider by inflicting her with Faiz. The amount of shipping you can do in that series because of the writing (and acting by the male cast) makes the entire show fun to watch in groups. I also loved that they chose new directions after Kuuga/Agito instead of trying to tie everything together. That whole afterthought of a Foundation X story ark really felt forced after the first couple times. I even enjoyed how Kabuto made the main rider an asshole and told most of the story from the perspective of a secondary rider. When you actually watch it with that in mind, it can be quite good.

I'm also one of the few that really enjoyed Decade. Sure, it had issues with the writers not knowing the shows they drew from, but I literally considered it a new continuity (as opposed to an attempt to tie the actual shows together) and most of those problems just disappear. There was some great comedy, I loved how it tied into Showa and Shocker especially, and seeing Gackt playing the badass Riderman we didn't get to see in the reboot movies was the icing on the cake. Riderman's my favourite underdog Rider, and Gackt said at he press conference his dream was to be a villain who beats up the Rider (which he even got to do). I'm biased, but I don't care. I still want a movie or series with Gackt starring as Riderman.

The low points:

The first five episodes of Ryuki were my first exposure to Kamen Rider, but the constant flip-flopping of the main character and constant circular plot twists really dragged the show down. To this day I want to love it, but the whole thing could have been cut in half and it would have been ten times better (well, IF you also gave it a better ending).

Hibiki remains the lowest point of the entire franchise for me, and it's the only series I've been unable to finish.

Phase II is a bit of a struggle for me. The increasingly blatant focus on toy sales and alternate forms really dragged a lot of series down, but not enough to ruin them for me. W was great, OOO, Fourze, and Gaim all started off with me on the fence but totally won me over, and I even really enjoyed Wizard (although that theme song did NOT age well).

The Low Points:

Zi-Oh tried to be too many things and just kept tripping over its own shoelaces. Not the worst, but definitely far from the best. Ora made everything better, though. Plus we got a few cool Riders from the future (still on board if they run with the future rider from next year).

I won't get into Drive, since Take already reposted my feelings on the show.

Ghost was the low point for me. Absolutely terrible writing, especially for the female cast, and while I applaud the cast for trying their best, the show was Hibiki 2.0 with no direction and no concept of its own worldbuilding. I think the writer and director are doing a better job with Saber, but they still need to take some lessons from more skilled people in Toei.

So yeah, I think the biggest reason Heisei Phase II seems worse is really just the over-reliance on gimmicks and alt modes, but (as I mentioned in another post some time back) it holds up pretty well against Phase I, and even Showa had some bad moments that can't be easily forgotten.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”