My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 16 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.38 /5 stars (13 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Enter the light saber

Man the bad writing drives me up the wall. They slowed down the pace to tell a story, but it ends up feeling more expository than like a natural story progressing. Then the second half ramps up the swordsmen in-fighting by hitting everyone with the idiot stick

I mean, it's not incompetent work. The stuff with setting up Yuki and the attempt to have the swordsmen play into their character tendencies make sense. Heck, it's a nice touch that Rintarou says almost the exact same thing as he does in episode 2 when he asks for Saber's gear. But in the end it's unbelievable that these guys would turn on Saber at the drop of the hat like that. And the fact that they don't even attempt to talk it over or listen is one of the things I hated most about Faiz

Considering Mei's experience with Wonder World, why can't she see it?

It feels like this is the big setup for Touma to be at his lowest point at Christmas/New Year's break, but it just wasn't done well IMO

2/5 stars, a clumsy start of a new arc

Notes:

I wish we knew something about the Megiddo besides they're roided up

Oh right, Sophia is still missing. Shouldn't that be more of a big deal?

Man, this swordsman versus swordsman fighting is forced. What is this? Faiz? At least this camerawork is cool

So we have...
Dark saber
Flame saber
Water saber
Lightning saber
Earth saber
Wind saber
Sound saber
Light saber

Doesn't it seem like a sound saber doesn't fit with the theming???

Next episode Jan 10th

Ultraman easter eggs, remember you can always read about them on our wiki
Hasegawa Keiichi is a Ultraman writer. Hasebe Hitomi was in Ultraman Max, Iwata Hideyoshi is an Ultraman suit actor, and his real life wife Iwata Mayu, Nee Hasegawa Mayu (they were Geed co-stars). That's probably also their real life baby, which was born this summer.
Tridoron001
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zi-O
Dreamy: Hana (Before the timeline change)
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero.

Re: KR Saber 16 released

Post by Tridoron001 »

Such a shocking turn of events, and a truly stunning way to end the first arc of the show. What an ending!!!!

Loving the work you guys are doing, but had a question: Will you be subbing the 2 music videos for Almighty and Kamen Rider Saber?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Oh right, I should probably look for those. Has someone uploaded those anywhere or will I need to buy the CD/DVD set?
Tridoron001
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zi-O
Dreamy: Hana (Before the timeline change)
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero.

Post by Tridoron001 »

Well i'm assuming they are out somewhere as another subbing group Genmcorp has already released their version of Almighty.
Here's a link to a folder in my google drive, where i managed to pull the raw files from facebook. Be warned i think they might be slightly out of sync but i can't tell.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Edit: I've also just added a different raw version which might be more usable to you, format .mkv
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

To celebrate the end of this miserable year, I decided to go back and binge the 10 or so episodes of Saber that have been released since I gave up watching the series on a weekly basis.

I do not regret my decision, but my opinion has improved slightly. Although the onslaught of new toys/weapons has remained steady, they stopped dumping new characters on the audience and started to flesh out the large cast. (A tiny bit. Tiny.) Honestly, the “extra” episodes have done more in improving my opinion of the series than anything else...because they filled in missing moments and gave some insight into the thoughts and motivations of the Sword of Logos members. If I’m being uncharitable, it felt like those “specials” were originally intended to be part of the episodes but got cut in favor of allotting time to the (still ridiculously long) toy jingles and the ending song sequence (which I still dislike).

As for the current episode - I briefly thought that the story elements I enjoyed from the Swordsmen Biographies were migrating back to the main series...but instead we promptly entered a comedy of errors whereby everyone is believing the worst in everyone else because they’re not communicating with each other. I don’t think you could pick a more overdone trope. This is all thanks, of course, to the random female dressed in all black who speaks cryptically and - shock of all shock, note the sarcasm - is working with the villains.

At least they (both the writers and the characters) remembered that Sophia is missing. I was going to guess that Southern Base girl was lying about the villains having Sophia, but I’m starting to suspect that the villains either ARE the Southern Base or have co-opted it. We haven't seen it yet, right?

Oh! The key Sophia gave to annoying female sidekick (nope, don't know her name, but she was actually decent this episode) is totally to control access for the Northern Base, right? I hope she locks the idiots out of their own base to make them think about how dumb they were this episode.

About the only thing that has surprised me so far is Mr. Hood being the human form of a sword. It would have been nice if we’d heard about this legendary lost sword before it appeared, but I’m just not invested enough in this show to be upset.

Oh, and I thought the Calibur that Touma fought in the book in the sky was going to be Kento. It wasn’t, but I still think we’ll get a Calibur!possessed Kento soon. Both the person and sword disappeared, and the actor is still in the opening and ending sequences for a reason. (I would normally also say that his story elements relating to Touma and Luna aren’t wrapped up yet, but I don’t trust the writer(s) that much.)

Glad I checked the forum this week. Those Ultraman cameos are pretty cool. Actually, the villain who seems to be the leader (no clue what their names are either - have they even said them in-show?) reminds me a lot of Tregear’s actor from Taiga, and one of the other guys reminds me of Fourze’s Shun.

I’ll probably wait until the show takes a week off again and binge the next batch of episodes. The characters still make too many dumb decisions for me to think about this show for more than the time it takes to start up the next episode.

Happy new year all!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Honestly, I actually found myself buying the whole conflict between swordsmen a lot more than I was expecting. It's far from perfect, and maybe I'm just saying this because riders fighting each other is such an expected default that anything to better justify it seems exceptional, but I actually thought the way everyone eventually moved to beating on Saber felt mostly natural. When they first approached him about coming with them to be questioned, he starts talking about how Calibur of all people might have had a point, and how he doesn't know if he can trust their organisation entirely. This naturally sets of Ren and Rintarou respectively, and then the other two decide the best way to immediately deescalate the situation is subdue the one guy they all disagree with.

That's the only part of the episode that I thought was neat though. It's hilarious how little anybody seems to care about Sophia being missing (I mean, same), and I'm not particularly at the edge of my seat or anything about whatever our villains or traitorous lady in black is up to. Plus the newest 'Rider' will probably need another episode before I can form any opinion (although being the sword himself is pretty, uh, quirky). So as far as Saber episodes go, slightly above average I guess.

Also thanks to TV-Nihon for another year of subs, and I hope you all have a good and happy new year as well
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

The episode was ok. I'd give it a 3.5/5 if I could.
So the villains’ motive is to collect the Sacred swords and the Wonder ride books… so they can access the great book of knowledge and power we saw last week…..
I knew that girl Reika from the Southern base was up to no good…..
So they do believe in God….. Then why were they surprised to hear that the world was CREATED BY SOMEONE??? Do they think that God didn’t create the world and it always existed…..?? This isn’t adding up…..
It’s nice to see them all excited for the new-year at least… They were all yelling along with Sora… Lol. :D
All the people who came in contact with those white sprinkles can see the Wonder World now…. I’m looking forward to whatever they do with that storyline.
The company Mei (and I guess Touma as well) works in has such a weird name… I like Mei’s boss more than Mei. Even with that small scene she impressed me more than Mei could impress me in the last 16 episodes…. Lol. :lol:
The Sword of Logos members can just appear anywhere, from out of nowhere…..??? Isn’t that considered rude by Japanese people, the “entering without permission” thing?
Wait, so the Southern base and the Northern Base are so unrelated to each other that to go to work for the Southern Base from the Northern Base, they have to be SCOUTED?? Then how come are they under the same Sword of Logos if they are not related at all??? And is the Southern Base superior to the Northern Base that only people with “very high power/potential/strength/talent” can go there?
Touma could write ever since 15 years ago…??!! That’s cool!!
I guess Rintarou is quite lucky…
Wait, why are they just trusting this random Reika person? Is it because the Southern Base is better/has more info/intel than the Northern Base or something? Don’t get it….
Why doesn’t Daishinji-san look anyone in the eye when talking to someone? No one explained this in the season…
Touma didn’t tell anyone about his fight with Kamijo-san in detail? Why?
Why doesn’t Touma go to the editorial department himself? Is he that popular a novelist?
I don’t get that argument between Touma and the others. Makes no sense to me…
Touma can’t trust his friends anymore all of a sudden…. Because they’re working for the Southern Base? Does he already suspect the Southern base? But he didn’t have to stop trusting his friends… They’re only working for the Southern base because Sophia is captured by Megid….
Ren just shows that being fast and strong without thinking is just as dangerous as being on the enemies’ side…. When will he ever learn to use his head and calm down a bit???
The guild didn’t raise Rintarou, only the members of the Northern Base raised him. Why does he think that he knows what’s going on with the whole organization just because he knows about the Northern Base?
Even though I didn’t like the story, the fight scene with Touma vs his friends was good. Way to go Koichi Sakamoto as always.
Does Ritarou actually like Mei? He was the only one worried about Mei when she came in front of Ren’s sword.
That Yuri guy is the only thing that connects Tassel and Touma’s world…. Is what I think for now.
Whoa!! We have a KR version of Patran/Lupin X as a sword here….. Gold/Silver… Sword..
Cool sword guy, kicking everyone’s butt. I like it… But this guy is a TOTAL REFENRENCE TO SENTAI!! With the Gold/Silver motif from Lup vs. Pat and “Good Luck” catch-phase from Kyuranger... And from the radiance thing, I think it’s a reference to MagiShine, and the light and shadow/dark element feels like a reference to Shine and Cosmo Raptor from Ryusoulger as well… Seriously, is Zenkaiger a SS anniversary season or Saber??!!
And Yuri is ACTAULLY A “SWORD GUY”…!!
Something Mei has been repeating this whole season “….Daare…(Who are you)?” I have a feeling she’ll say this a few more times till the final arc of Saber…. Lol.
I’m not too surprised to see that Yuki became a Megid… But I am interested to her more in the future.
….. And the ending’s back…. What was point of removing the ending dance from last episode exactly???
Ooooh, this time Mei said the “Next time on KR Saber” bit…. It’s nice, even though her high-pitched voice was kinda annoying to hear….
Spoiler
Next time, Mei will be more involved in the battles…. I’m interested…. They’ll put her character to some use hopefully.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Think you hit a lot of nails on the head phurricane

>If I’m being uncharitable, it felt like those “specials” were originally intended to be part of the episodes but got cut in favor of allotting time to the (still ridiculously long) toy jingles and the ending song sequence (which I still dislike).

It is so obvious with the Blades episode that Luna picked up on it watching the original episode. You can literally see where they spliced in new footage to the cut footage

>but instead we promptly entered a comedy of errors whereby everyone is believing the worst in everyone else because they’re not communicating with each other.

555: A comedy of errors

>I’m starting to suspect that the villains either ARE the Southern Base or have co-opted it. We haven't seen it yet, right?

Don't we see Sophia tied up somewhere while the mystery lady talks (forgot her name already)? I assume that's the Southern Base

>Oh! The key Sophia gave to annoying female sidekick (nope, don't know her name, but she was actually decent this episode) is totally to control access for the Northern Base, right?

I forget, has the key come back into play yet? I honestly forgot about it...

> I hope she locks the idiots out of their own base to make them think about how dumb they were this episode.

That would be such a power move, I hope Mei does it

>About the only thing that has surprised me so far is Mr. Hood being the human form of a sword. It would have been nice if we’d heard about this legendary lost sword before it appeared, but I’m just not invested enough in this show to be upset.

I kind of feel like he's just going to be a new power-up for Saber...

>The characters still make too many dumb decisions for me to think about this show for more than the time it takes to start up the next episode.

Haha

>Happy new year all!

Happy new year to you too!

>Honestly, I actually found myself buying the whole conflict between swordsmen a lot more than I was expecting.

Actually on the translation pass (I watch it raw before I translate), I appreciated the work done into creating a reason for why the different swordsmen would fight each other. It still strains credulity, but at least the writer didn't just throw up his hands and not try

>Also thanks to TV-Nihon for another year of subs, and I hope you all have a good and happy new year as well

You're welcome! Happy new years to you too! Here's to a better year!
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

The episode felt... good? I usually can’t comprehend deeper meanings and stuff, and this episode seemed to have a lot of it, so...

Yuki was definitely a more interesting character than Mei

I want to see if Reika actually is a villain or not

I didn’t know that Saikou was ONLY a sword, so that was surprising for me
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Just when I thought it couldn't get any stupider >_>;

We get a hint of a slower, more organic pace to the story and then they throw all of it out the window by making a thousand things happen at once and none of them make any sense. There's no real engagement, no sense of build up, and the characters are back to falling on their one-dimensional base roles again. Rintarou as the blindly loyal zealot, Kamen Green being obsessive over Kento, and Buster Dad and Slash both falling in line without any real consideration whatsoever. Its yet another case of the story-telling being hyper-compressed and it still does it no favors.

And now we literally just have a guy who magically hops into his sword and it levitates around to fight people. Here kids, buy this other new toy, but we didn't have the time or inclination to actually make a full-on Rider for it.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

so, despite everything he has done.
despite all his actions that prove his character.
despite saving the world!
it was that easy to suggest that Touma has turned evil to these guys? who're the real traitors here? especially Rintaro and Buster Dad who should know Touma better than all that. and Touma should have just spit out he was approached by her and turned her down so this seems odd now. but no. keep that to yourself. but turning people into monsters will make for some nice twists, kind of wondered where they were going with having people see another world.

i kind of wondered if Touma had the lightning and darkness swords, but i guess not since they only wanted fire. but im curious what books he had, like did he hold on to the darkness ones as prizes to use as he saw fit because it'd be a shame to not use them. i almost suspected that both sides were being used as puppets untill we saw southern base messenger working with the enemy. perhaps Zenkaiger's villians should seek out this woman as she can easy trick teams to turn against their reds, hence making next years sentai more dramatic.
Hauyia
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Hauyia »

So, I've read a lot of the criticisms towards this episode, some of which I agree with such as Sophia's absence not really being given the weight it feels it should have, and I want to focus on the major one that I disagree with. That being, the reasoning for the conflict between the swordsmen. In my opinion, it makes a lot more sense than many people are suggesting. In the context of the show as we've been shown so far, Reika's arguments against Touma are valid to a certain degree. Ogami and Daishinji weren't willing to suspect Touma at first, but Reika specifically homed in on something they couldn't really deny. Both Fukamiya Hayato and Kamijo Daichi, despite being far closer to them than Touma, betrayed them. She also targeted their fear of something similar happening in the future, since it had already happened twice. That was enough to at least open them up to the idea. They did not approach him looking to fight, they wanted to confirm those suspicions. And when Touma started talking about trusting Daichi's words and not trusting Sword of Logos, that definitely would have come across to them as confirmation.

Another criticism I see is about Touma not explaining himself. He most definitely tried to. There was no room for further talks because Ren, the brat that he is, flew off the handle and started a fight, at which point Touma was focused on defending himself and everyone else was focused on subduing him. Rintaro was the most conflicted, because he does believe in Touma, but one has to understand that he views Sword of Logos as his family and has been with them since he was a child. He can't simply turn against them on the word of someone he only met a few weeks ago, no matter how much he trusts him. And this same reasoning applies to Ogami and Daishinji as well, they've been with Sword of Logos for more than 15 YEARS. Touma, regardless of being the main character, does not have even a fraction of that history with any of them besides Kento, who is gone.

So, that's my opinion on that part, but I'd also like to address midorininger's mention of all that Touma has done that should make him trustworthy. Both Hayato and Daichi did those same things. They still turned on them. It's not good enough. While this is a childrens' TV show, sometimes interpersonal relationships are a lot more complicated than that, and I feel that's the kind of idea they were going for, even if it didn't necessarily hit its mark with everyone.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”