Kiramager Episode FINAL released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:12 am

☆☆☆☆☆
65%
☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆
5%
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode FINAL released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.15 of 5 (13 votes)

Alt Title:

Emperor Yodom is a butter face. Just kidding. It's interesting that he's specifically a snake though. Besides being an interesting visual, I wonder if it's meaningful in another way?

Doesn't seem like taking the mask off was that hard. It's not like taking off Thanos' glove

Oooh! They punched him small. That transition was not obvious

Unmasked warriors kitaaa!

There's something amazing about watching this roll call with people's faces exposed. Sena's in particular is good. LOL, poor blue and yellow for needing to hold the girls... annnnd the masks go on immediately after. Fair enough I guess

Who are these? The elite Bechats? It would have been cool if they shown these guys earliers as the potential candidates for the Jamenshi. (That's what the Jamenshi are right? Just Bechats wearing Krunchy's masks?)

LOL, was that an ad for the Kiramager movie within the finale?

Where'd all the elite Bechat go with the emperor blew up?!

When are they going to sell the Alexa Hakatan?

I like how Sena's wearing her track suit, but Shiguru is just wearing his Kiramager outfit. No cosplay for you, actor!

So... is Mabushiina and Takamichi married?

I really enjoy Krunchy's profile:
Kurantula
:Voiced by: [[Takato Yasuhiro]]
:Height: 160cm
:Weight: 208kg (Currently only 4/5 so 166kg)
:Evil Mask: Jamen → Various evil masks based on Earth culture as a motif

By comparison, Yodonna is boring. What a disappointing way to kill her off considering how interesting she was as a character introduced midway through
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Kiramager Episode FINAL released

Post by decade368990 »

Indeed, Yodonna is boring and redundant in this final episode. It was interesting to see how Emperor Yodom actually learns human life in Yodonna's personal before his eventual goal to convert Earth into another version of Yodomheim.

Are the Kanaemastones important to the emperor? Either I didn't pay attention or they didn't mention specifically.

Three months after the final battle, Jyuuru and Kakihara are dating? That's why she's angry at him drawing Zenkaiger instead of something that will appreciates her.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

im really surpriised they didn't do more with Yodonna esp how they hinted she was supposed to be paired with Tatemo

Ahh well.

at lleast Jyuuru got it in. Kudos my boi. You make me proud.

now onto Covid Sentai Singleranger. I mean Zenkiger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aeikozz wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 pm now onto Covid Sentai Singleranger. I mean Zenkiger.
lol
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Aeikozz wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 pm now onto Covid Sentai Singleranger. I mean Zenkiger.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! I personally think that was a cool way to get viewers ready for Zenkaiger to be honest. Last thing I'm wondering is how much of the budget did they use on that final explosion when they finally killed Yodon, because that was one hell of a boom! xD
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Quite a pity this episode though given that it has a more decent pace compared to Zero One when Covid hit. But this episode though had a nice build up kind of feel lackluster for a finale.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:49 pm
lol
I think we need to steal this for the subforum description
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 am

lol
Go for it. I was like halfway through with doing it before I chickened out
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

First off, a big thank you to all of the TV-N crew for capping and subbing another year of Sentai! Xiiliea, Luna, Mango, Crazy, and the rest; I wouldn't have any toku to watch if not for you! <3

Getting down to business, I have to admit I wasn't very impressed with this episode. It was a solid finale that hit all of the requisite high notes, but at the end of the day it felt almost perfunctory? They did everything necessary to close out the series, but nothing about the episode really stood out. Even the intro was a full-length intro, rather than the abridged version finales normally use in order to maximize their runtimes. And admittedly, Toei did the short intro in the previous episode, so it's technically already been done; but then that just underscores the issue at hand: the previous episode was better.

Starting with the plot, overall it's serviceable. There just aren't too many surprises here. The Rangers kick big Yodom's ass, then they kick small Yodom's ass, as is Sentai tradition. There's a trick involved using the illusion stone, but the overall plan isn't nearly as clever as last week's failed plan.

Given the setup last week with Yodonna, I am legitimately shocked that she didn't get a heel-face-turn here, as it felt like they were setting up for it pretty hard. But on the other hand, she didn't get a crowning moment of villainy either. In retrospect, she pretty much got shafted this entire finale arc; she hasn't had a meaningful presence since episode 41. All of which makes for a disappointing ending to the arc of what was by far the series' best villain. Her addition is what saved Kiramager from having the most boring villain line-up since at least Jyuohger. I'm glad they didn't redeem her, but the best villain needs to go out on top of their game.

Meanwhile it only takes until the final episode of the series to get a backstory on Yodom. Like Garuza a couple of weeks back, I guess it's better late than never? I will give credit to the writers for giving us a reasonable tie-in explanation for the villains' mask theme: he wears a mask to cover his weak spot. But there simply hasn't been enough time to let it soak in, or enough build-up to make it matter. Why is he a snake underneath? Why should we care? And to be sure, I'm not expecting Shakespeare here, but establishing character motivations that are more than skin-deep is pretty much a requirement to have a good plot. It's a shame that Sentai has so much trouble developing interesting boss villains.

The Crystallia resolution is also a bit disappointing. Toei can lampshade it as much as they want, but punting on explaining Juuryu's connection to the rock people is still punting on it. It's not critical to the story, but at the same time it's not so unimportant that it can be brushed off as a coincidence. Otherwise I'm not surprised to see Malibu Shiina made the queen, given that it's the natural conclusion to her arc. But as a supporting character, it never really felt like she was out there earning it. Then again, her parents are now a small bird and a head piece, so I guess she was always going to get it by default.:lol: Meanwhile, it also inadvertently highlights how Takamichi hasn't had an arc of any kind since he got cured about 15 episodes ago. He was just along for the ride here.

Moving on, the action scenes were pretty good. This is a finale, and Toei stepped up their game to match. We didn't get any kind of crazy robo/ground crossover battle, but they did a good job with the ground battle, especially the faux long cut with the handicam. Also, we got a helmetless roll call! :D It's total fan service, but I'll take it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: seeing the actors in the suits is critical to selling the illusion that they're in them during the fights.

However Toei also kind of stubbed their toe on the action front by interrupting it with Malibu Shiina's clip show. I get what the writers were going for - recapping the major traits of the heroes - but boy did it just suck the momentum out of the latter-half of that fight. It turned what should have been a tense, final fight into something that felt more like filler. How do you have filler in a finale?

Overall it's not a bad finale: we've certainly had worse. But for as often as Kiramager did things right (even with the absurd theme), I'm surprised it couldn't figure out how to go out on a higher note.
takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 am Doesn't seem like taking the mask off was that hard. It's not like taking off Thanos' glove
Well Thanos's glove could (almost) be removed by someone else. Everything here implied that only Yodom could remove his own mask.
There's something amazing about watching this roll call with people's faces exposed. Sena's in particular is good.
She has a massive, beaming smile. Of course, her teeth are almost too big for her little head, but the actress makes it work with sheer enthusiasm (and good teeth).
That's what the Jamenshi are right? Just Bechats wearing Krunchy's masks?
That's my understanding, yes.
LOL, was that an ad for the Kiramager movie within the finale?
I had to sigh a bit at that one. Dammit Toei, Spoilers!
I like how Sena's wearing her track suit, but Shiguru is just wearing his Kiramager outfit. No cosplay for you, actor!
I can't decide if it's brilliant or lazy. Everyone else got some civvies. Meanwhile Shiguru being the most sentimental isn't an especially good joke. But surely they could have found him some civvies as well if they really wanted to?
So... is Mabushiina and Takamichi married?
I don't think that's what the writers were going for, but the lack of a conclusion for Takamichi certainly leaves some implications up in the air.
The good news: they're only related by law. There are no blood relations! The bad news: she's a literal rock. Then again, Takamichi does have a thing for drilling rocks... :shock:
By comparison, Yodonna is boring. What a disappointing way to kill her off considering how interesting she was as a character introduced midway through
I'm not sad for her getting killed off. I am sad for her getting killed off like a chump.:(
decade368990 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 am Three months after the final battle, Jyuuru and Kakihara are dating? That's why she's angry at him drawing Zenkaiger instead of something that will appreciates her.
In retrospect, I'm also a bit disappointed that nothing more directly came of that theme park ticket. It was pretty much Chekhov's Gun back in episode 43.
Lunagel wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 am

lol
I second the motion. I laughed so hard I got the hiccups. :lol:

PS: These VS movies come out too damned late! We're going to be half-way through Singleranger before we get to see the team-up with the guys that have been off the air for over a year!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

It's funny how last year, I mostly enjoyed Ryusoulger for being as a by-the-books sentai as it gets, and then its endgame and final episode really impressed me by being really surprisingly novel in a lot of ways. In a complete reversal, Kiramager is a show I've enjoyed greatly especially for the many ways that it tended to put a spin or twist to what would be classic cliches, and then comes a finale that is almost uncharacteristically by-the-books. It's such a weird feeling!

That said, nothing in this episode was too badly done in my opinion. Regarding this endgame arc as a whole, I'm actually still disappointed by the lousy resolution to Garuza's whole thing, but that's already in the past, I guess. As for Yodonna, while just dying in service for her boss certainly fits the character, it's still just a little underwhelming.

Skipping ahead, to the epilogue, however, I actually liked them saying that Jyuru's connection to the crystalians was a coincidence brought on from no more than him simply sharing the same kind of passion as the King.

Honestly, I think my biggest nitpick would be that because we got Yodon the generic evil emperor number two-million for the final boss, it meant this endgame has basically nothing to do with the show's overarching themes of creativity and imagination, when it had such a ready-made avenue to do so in the form of Garuza. Regardless of whether they would have delivered, the evil rock head uncle really should have been the final antagonist if you ask me. Oh well.

The big fight I would say is the 'usual' finale fare, yet I also got the impression that this was less about wrapping up the story, and more the show's way of celebrating Kiramager's year-long run. Mabushiina and the Mashins talking about how wonderful each member of the team is over nostalgic clips from over the year basically cemented that feeling. The heartwarming epilogue had already started in the middle of the action, and so I was already feeling emotional from there and then all the way to the last scene with that cute sketch...

So all in all, a final episode that hits all the notes a sentai finale would, but honestly in a way I think feels deliberate on the part of the writers. I'm really pleased with this show and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the team again in VS movies and stuff! And of course, thank you to all of you who have taken the time to make subtitles!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

BreadToku wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:44 am Honestly, I think my biggest nitpick would be that because we got Yodon the generic evil emperor number two-million for the final boss, it meant this endgame has basically nothing to do with the show's overarching themes of creativity and imagination, when it had such a ready-made avenue to do so in the form of Garuza. Regardless of whether they would have delivered, the evil rock head uncle really should have been the final antagonist if you ask me. Oh well.
I was so excited when it looked like Garuza had killed Yodom and was going to be the true final antagonist. It would have made for a stronger and more emotional ending to all the plotlines if Garuza were the true final villain, but I guess they wanted Yodom to be the surprise last-minute villain behind it all (Which is never a good look for final villains)
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

Having the finale be the big emotional moment Garuza realizes the truth and helps defeat the Emperor by sacrificing himself and then having him die right in front of his brother and niece and nephew would've been amazing. Could've transferred that moment with Juuru where Garuza says something about hoping he and Oradin can be closer brothers in another life to the finale. But have Garuza telling Oradin himself.

It would be like the finale moment with Kyuuemon in Ninninger, but this time with actual depth to the plot.

Anyway, it was a good finale and a really great season.
relax23456
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gobus,Gaim,Deka,Geki
2nd Favorite Series: W,MagiGokai,Blade
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Stay hungry, stay foolish

Post by relax23456 »

Yay. Another end to a great Sentai season..
Compared with those in the past few years, this season kept me entertained.

Thanks take and team for all the fantastic and hard work over the years.

You guys rock!
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by windfall »

It was a nice finale but the previous episode had more of an impact. I feel like it was weakened by the break, the writers built up a good amount of momentum that was lost. These last two episodes would probably work better as one long episode. The epilogue sequence did leave me with a few questions. They wished to restore crystalia but didn't bother to include new bodies for the king and queen? I did appreciate that Shigeru was the most emotional about continuing to wear the Kiramger uniform. They managed to finally bring in some of the outfits that the team wears in the opening. I'm impressed that bandai managed to resist selling those clothes. Although I would totally buy Takamichi's sequined silver shirt if they ever do decide to sell it.

Overall this was a great season with only a handful of weak episodes. The writing was tight and cohesive without too many logical issues. I do with that we could spend some more time with this cast but time waits for no one and it's off to another anniversary season we go.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

relax23456 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:13 am Thanks take and team for all the fantastic and hard work over the years.

You guys rock!
Thanks! The credit should really go to Xiiliea and Lunagel who co-chaired the project this year, I was only on the qc team

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”