Total votes: 19
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Re: KR Saber 26 released

Post by FangTrigger »

TheNinjaDragon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 pm
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:58 pm >Geez, you're not helping my low self-esteem over my writing skills.

Sorry! Not sure what I did to be honest though...
It's okay, just that I'm anxious to make good impressions.
If you worry about constantly making a good impression with your writing, you will never get it done. Just write; let the story flow from your imagination, through your fingers, and unto the page or word document. So long as you enjoyed the journey (and don't end up like Kyogai from Demon Slayer) no one else matters.

Now, onto this episode.

Wow. It's taken 24 episodes for me to enjoy Saber again. Finally, the story is kicking in and we've gotten past all the early fluff and filler. The emotional weight from when Saber was under the sprinkler really sealed how dark this series turned. Especially when Primitive Dragon showed up and the claw wrapped around his body, wrapping him in his a blanket of depression.

Kento...man, I can't imagine what it feels like. To see hundreds of futures, all for them to end with you alone in the abyss. Reminds me of Darksied's Omega Beams; they don't 'Kill' you directly- just send you through endless lifetimes where they become progressively hellacious. It'd be enough to drive regular men mad, yet he maintained his sanity to continue with his new mission.

Saber looks to have somewhere between 20-24 episodes left, not counting any movies, but -outside of the next episode- I'm cautiously curious to see where it goes.
Aeikozz
Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

TheNinjaDragon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 am

Technically the kiss was there in the last episode too.
Yeah, but i think i was too happy from the last episode that i didn't notice it.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
Dreamy: Shotaro

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

This is seriously one of the more powerful episodes of any toku series I've seen. The best thing they could have done was actually SHOW Kento going through hell multiple times. The heroes lose? World ends. The heroes win? World still ends. Kento goes at it alone? Oh wait. Here's his friends! The world still ends! Oh it ends here too! And here! Oh, is this one different? Nope! We are quite proud of this image of the world going poof and we're going to BURN IT IN YOUR BRAINS, dear watcher!

I jest, but it still does it's job. The stakes feel pretty high and things seem pretty hopeless. Oh, and we still have about half the series left to go!

Why is it that the ones that seem silly at first end up getting dark as hell? (Ex-Aid, Build, Gaim, GAIM, **GAIM**)

At any rate, I'm looking forward to what's coming.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 pm Why is it that the ones that seem silly at first end up getting dark as hell? (Ex-Aid, Build, Gaim, GAIM, **GAIM**)
Because this is Kamen Rider, where suffering is its motto (well...most of the time anyways).
Aeikozz
Faiz
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

That felt more like an Homura Akemi trope that anything. argggggghh.. killl meeee..
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

So in the past two episodes, we get things distinctly not Toei:

- a female Rider with a personality who can kick posterior
- A mid-season uncontrollable powerup that lasts more than two episodes (I think it only lasted 1 1/2 in Ghost)
- a character coming back to life in a believable way

I was also incredibly shocked they actually HAD A CONVERSATION. Even though it still ended in a fight, that really shows the writers have started listening to the fans (finally!). It's also nice that they explained how a Meggido was able to get into the Southern Base so easily and was pretty much handed the book. That really bothered me before since the writers have a habit of doing stuff like that without ever explaining it.

Saber actually being good without firing the writer and director... A Super Sentai that's started off already amazing... I really hope this sudden trend continues!
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ashki wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:49 am So in the past two episodes, we get things distinctly not Toei:

- a female Rider with a personality who can kick posterior
Kick posterior, yes, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the personality point. While she's definitely got a kickass design and powers, Reika hasn't shown any signs of personality deeper than "I do what Master Logos says."
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

She's gone against his orders before, such as when he said to let the swordsmen hold onto the forbidden book for a while and she immediately told the sheep swordsmen that Tooma had to be killed. She also seems to get frustrated when she loses in a way that suggests she's got a personal stake in all of this.

Now, I could be completely wrong (considering the ones in charge of this series), but they seem to be hinting that she has a much deeper story and may be playing along with Master Logos in an attempt to take control for herself. That's the personality I see... Someone willing to tow the line, but only enough to take power for herself. I wouldn't be surprised if Logos is unaware she's even taking those books. And considering Toei likes to do very generic female characters, especially in KR, I've been rather impressed with the direction they seem to be taking her.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Two in a row, if we get three, the show might actually have a chance go from decent to GOOD. I am beyond shocked O_O

The premise is still on shaky grounds here and there (we got ZERO foreshadowing on Master Logos being balls to the wall big bad and the origin of the Megiddo is just dropped into the explanation of something else entirely) but the actual QUALITY of the episode showed another level of all around improvement. It still falls a tiny bit short due to how terrible the pacing was for the earlier episodes, but you can still get a feeling of pain in Touma's side of things and how that stacks against Kento living out the end of the world how many dozens of times. And unlike the original Calibur, he actually talks and behaves just the right way to make you give a damn rather than just "okay I'm the new bad guy".

Tassel being a plot point was writing on the wall, but so long as we're hoping the season will actually manage to be good, hey, let's hope he's actually worth any bit of investment. Saberla and Master Logos both going from enigmatic "are they or aren't they on the right side of history" to "blatantly hardcore evil doer" still stings though, without any foreshadowing or build up on their end this feels abrupt as any other twist thrown into the earlier episodes. But at least we have a little bit more of a sense of the stakes now, and it actually FEELS like a significant progression of the plot rather than just a bunch of idiots not-talking about the elephant in the room the whole time.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
Dreamy: Shotaro

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Ashki wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am She's gone against his orders before, such as when he said to let the swordsmen hold onto the forbidden book for a while and she immediately told the sheep swordsmen that Tooma had to be killed. She also seems to get frustrated when she loses in a way that suggests she's got a personal stake in all of this.

Now, I could be completely wrong (considering the ones in charge of this series), but they seem to be hinting that she has a much deeper story and may be playing along with Master Logos in an attempt to take control for herself. That's the personality I see... Someone willing to tow the line, but only enough to take power for herself. I wouldn't be surprised if Logos is unaware she's even taking those books. And considering Toei likes to do very generic female characters, especially in KR, I've been rather impressed with the direction they seem to be taking her.
This. I totally get a "I have my own agenda" vibe from her. She doesn't seem subservient to Master Logos because of tradition or anything like that. Their interests align but they aren't the same.

Again, that's just my take on it. I could be completely wrong. But I hope I'm not.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I dunno. Let's compare her to Yaiba from last year. Yaiba started off as strong and independent, often one-upping Fuwa and seeming to have her own agenda. But then she spent a long time being subservient to Thouser, and doesn't really become a character with motivations outside of Thouser's till she breaks free near the end. And then they don't really do anything with her after that.

Here, Reika doesn't always follow Master Logos's orders, but her spouted motivations only seem to align with serving Master Logos. At this point, she hasn't really expressed any self interests besides serving the organization or repeating Master Logos' goals, so to me she's not a very well-developed character. She may reveal an ulterior motive completely unknown to the viewer, but for now, she's no better than the swordmen bunch when they were being blind followers of the organization. At least to me
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Ashki wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:11 am And considering Toei likes to do very generic female characters, especially in KR, I've been rather impressed with the direction they seem to be taking her.
I'd say that considering the reactions I've seen online, main characters are often not exempt from the Vanilla Character curse.
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 pm Why is it that the ones that seem silly at first end up getting dark as hell? (Ex-Aid, Build, Gaim, GAIM, **GAIM**)
Build was silly? I might have blinders on, but besides some quirks and gags I don't remember it being as silly at the start as Ex-Aid (Level 1 really didn't help) and Gaim.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

26 episodes to finally get interesting.

Now we know why the boy band is bad at least.

Kento took forever to came back as Calibur and Tassel is completely useless as expected.

Can Touma stop making promises to every single person that he meets? He would be a great politician for sure.
Final Vent!

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”