Zenkaiger 03 released

Covid Sentai Singleranger
Forum rules

Zenkaiger Wiki Link

< Kiramei | Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger | DonBro >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆☆
26%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
7%
4%

Total votes: 27
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Zenkaiger 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Zenkaiger's rating: 4.33 of 5 (30 votes)

Alt Title: Magical girl anime

Wow, cars in japan are so explosive

One of the guards was replaced by a Kikainoid. The robots are stealing our jorbs!

I'm beginning to see what Virge means about the CGI backgrounds

Nice. Magine is doing the MagiRanger hand gesture

4 out of 5 stars, it's amusing enough. Glad that there's a lady on the team
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Zenkaiger 03 released

Post by Mighty Action X »

It's as good as a new member debut could go but the bad habit of the production to blow their budgets on the initial episodes is still a problem that they must fix.
Galada
Go Go!

Post by Galada »

The CG backgrounds in this were painfully bad, wow.

Fun episode, pretty much a repeat of the previous one, down to the structure and jokes, but I feel it worked a little better this time because I like Magina considerable more than Gaoon, she's very cute and much less obnoxious, too bad that her transformed form is as ugly as the CG of her spells. I dare say that she's perhaps my favorite character in this series so far. I didn't know that the mechas could combine freely, that's interesting. Too bad that the whole scene felt pretty rushed and the combining sequence with the stadium and the whistles is pretty annoying. Never been a fan of the mecha scenes in Super Sentai anyway.

4/5, Magina best grill.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Her name is pronounced Ma-ji-nu, hence why she adds nu to everything. I think I saw somewhere that the nu sound at the end of names tends to be romanized as ne, which is why we spelled it Magine (Apparently it's the one thing Toei and our translations agree on for names)
Bman630
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Bman630 »

Not certain if this is where I should ask this, but will the ZenkaiRed special be subbed? The raw for the first part is on nyaa already, and no one else has subbed it. Again, not sure if I should post this here, it's my first time posting on here.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Wow, they're really spending on this thing. One of the scenes during the mecha fight looked pretty real; who knows if it actually was CGI or not.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was better than the previous episode. It's still not great, but credit where credit is due for being better.

As Galada correctly points out, Magine is a lot less obnoxious than Gaoon. And that goes a long way towards making the episode more fun to watch. She's also a slightly more subtle character in general, and at least here, doesn't have quite the exaggerated physical and vocal mannerisms as the other bots.

It's a shame that her debut episode lifts so many beats from Gaoon's though. She has a distinct background, so it's not a case of things being a pure carbon copy. But the beats are similar enough that In a year these last two episodes are just going to run together in our memories.

Unfortunately, this episode has nothing going for it action-wise. The vast majority of action scenes are shot in front of a green screen. And, if nothing else, the stage Toei is using clearly isn't very large. So there's no space for a physically-involved fight scene. That leaves us with a whole bunch of CGI attacks and some very tight shots when any kind of physical combat is going on. No doubt Toei put plenty of work into it, but it doesn't translate all that well to the final product.

On that note, this episode is remarkable for how little of it was filmed outside. The amount of green screen use is very high (even by Sentai standards), and the only notable shots outdoors was outside of the tower and the robo-kids playing hop-scotch. Both of which are very short scenes. Given that this would have been filmed a couple of months back, at the height of COVID, I can only assume that played a part. But it raises the question of whether this was planned from the start, or the backup plan for if they couldn't do backlot/location shots.

The mecha fight for the week is also very CGI heavy. In fact it's a bit on the strange side, since from a couple of shots it's clear that they also decorated part of the standing set for the city for the occasion. The CGI is pretty good, but it still looks like a CGI fight, which robs the mecha fight of some of its heft.

Other observations:
  • Are we going to be doing these "last time on Zenkaiger" spots the whole season? This is an episodic series. There hasn't been much of a plot that needs recapped (thus far)
  • And the gun gags continue. This week: Magine demonstrates how not to shoot a gun. I can't decide if this is better or worse than the accidental mook kills in the last two weeks; nearly shooting yourself is actually pretty awful :lol:
  • Dear editors: please never spin the frame again. That's disorientating
  • 3 episodes in and the bots are already running a train on the lone human...
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:44 pm One of the guards was replaced by a Kikainoid. The robots are stealing our jorbs!
They terk err jerbs!
I'm beginning to see what Virge means about the CGI backgrounds
While I'm glad other people see my point, I'm not sure I particularly like being right.

This episode in particular is really bad, not just in the number of green screen shots, but in the utterly terrible quality of pretty much every background that's supposed to be the frozen city. In isolation they wouldn't be so bad, but the first trick of matte paintings and other false backgrounds is that you're supposed to minimize the amount of time your actors are in front of them, so that there's no real-world frame of reference to compare them to. Toei is putting the actors front and center in front of these poor quality backgrounds, and as a result it's immediately drawing attention to their shortcomings.

If these had been used in establishing shots, I don't think anyone would have batted an eye.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

the green screen in the beginning... UGH.

but I'll be honest. the mecha fight, I SWEAR part of it was suits. and if so, the transition was FLAWLESS. it brought it up to a 4 for me.

I like Magine, will be interesting to see how the whole team fits together. rarely is a series flawless from the beginning, but this is staring to come together decently. outlook: Positive.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Yeah the backgrounds were pretty bad... I suppose the world building is nice? The mechanical flower and robot fortune tellers was a nice touch. Idk, I'm not feeling this season so far, the energy levels are too high for me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

One thing I do wish is that Magine had a different spell. Using one chant for everything is pretty silly
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Magi Jiruma Magi Jinga!
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

They're sticking to their themes and tone really well, I keep expecting the gags to get annoying or be drawn out too long but they still keep them short and punchy. Magine is a nice contrast to Gaoon's constant energy, and I know I'm probably wrong, but its been a while since I can recall them making the Pink the demure shy one, they usually make her come off as even keeled and competent most of the time in other seasons. Her having an assertive side too though is nice to see, they aren't keeping her one-note.

As far as the fights and such, I can't be surprised with how heavily they're leaning into their green screen use at this point. I doubt we'll see it improve much for a while yet, depending on how their filming schedule fit with their pandemic response as a country. But its definitely not the worst CG I've seen, and the mech fight did a pretty good job of showing off Magine and their ability to swap members on the fly for combinations. I'm curious how a sixth member/ultra combinations will work though, and I am putting my vote in with the party of Ninja being the sixth member theme.
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Sinkuu wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 am but I'll be honest. the mecha fight, I SWEAR part of it was suits. and if so, the transition was FLAWLESS. it brought it up to a 4 for me.
There is both CGI and suit mecha during the fight. You can see the suit clearly after the second ZyuranGaoon combination.

Personally I'm still very happy on the whole with this show.

I find the joke about killing the mook before the fight funny. Magine almost blowing her head off, not at all.
But the villain did say "Oh come on!" instead of waiting and looking confused as the first two times.
Atragon
Favorite series: Blade/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Magiranger

Post by Atragon »

I was skeptical at first, but zenkaigers turn out to be great and fun show with mysterious charm. I don't remember when last time I was so "into it" with super sentai. Hm, perhaps Kyouryuuger? After 3 eps I'm fascinated. Waiting for more. 5 stars from me.
Finished series:

KR: V3, Amazon, Black - Zero-One (25 of 30)
Sentai: Sunvulcan, Maskman-Liveman, Jetman-Dairanger, Carranger, Gingaman, Gaoranger to Kiramager. (28 of 44)

Currently watching: Saber, Zenkaiger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The thing that irritated me the most was that frozen mailbox(?) thing they bumped into that was supposed to be frozen but was clearly just wrapped in several layers of saran wrap.

Return to “Sentai-Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger”