My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 29 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.69 /5 stars (13 votes)

Sub Title: Here's your new oniichan

Kind of a solid 4 episode? Nothing too exciting, but I was pretty interested in what was going to happen. I dunno, teleporting Aquaman just doesn't have very much of a personality so far besides being Master Logos' lackey? Like sister like brother I guess

Thought Rintarou's actions would lead to them saving Sophia... but Calibur does it instead?

Some people might find Rintarou's actions foolish, but I don't think it'd be in his character to fake loyalty or use deception. He's the earnest-to-a-fault straight putt, and I'm glad they stick to that, even if it puts him and Touma at risk

Have we talked about Genta as Master Logos? I'm liking his megalomania. It's like Genta's manic energy but used for evil. I still haven't seen his actor play the red king in the Basara play so I don't know if he's a good villain there
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: KR Saber 29 released

Post by Mighty Action X »

To be honest, the new swordsman is not that impressive. Aside from that special ability in which I guess is freezing time, he's not something that either Touma or Yuuri will be helpless against in a one on one and I guess that after Rintarou gain his final form, he will be superior to him too.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:04 am To be honest, the new swordsman is not that impressive. Aside from that special ability in which I guess is freezing time, he's not something that either Touma or Yuuri will be helpless against in a one on one and I guess that after Rintarou gain his final form, he will be superior to him too.
I think it's more like he distorts time and space. If it were freezing time, Elemental Dragon wouldn't have had time to react as it did (which is another can of worms to open later)

Back with the lackluster writing again.

Durandal isn't that impressive to me. His Rider form is alright, but-much like his sister- there's nothing to his character that sticks out. He's just there to serve as a foil to the Northern Base Riders and will likely be cut down by Blades if the show ever decided to give him a power up. Another thing was he took too long to try and cut down Touma. I'd have more respect for his character if he decided to kill/injure Blades to force Touma to hand over his books and sword faster.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

FangTrigger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:48 amI'd have more respect for his character if he decided to kill/injure Blades to force Touma to hand over his books and sword faster.
That's actually the lamest thing about him. He's supposed to be this domineering executioner sent by Master Logos but he can't even win to the 'steroid pumped' riders like Touma and Yuuri without playing dirty. Seriously? There are some of the same job description as him in the previous installments that had done better jobs.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, I don't see why Durandal's job couldn't be done by Reika?
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:31 pm Yeah, I don't see why Durandal's job couldn't be done by Reika?
The writer was either trying to fill in the remaining swords, contributing to the Kamen Rider female curse, or both.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

True, this ep had some drawbacks and the new rider's pretty lame, but I still gave it a 5 because most of the filler was stuff that's been long overdue. Rintaro finally shows a little maturity and his pathetic "The Organisation is my family" crap can finally be discarded. I'm a little peeved as well about how abruptly Sophia was saved, but it actually makes me think Kento's trying to give them a chance to defend themselves, since he only really needs to seal some of the blades to stop Master Logos (seriously, if they need ALL the blades and books, just destroy a couple and you're done).

If we're lucky, Tooma will be out of commission for an episode or two, which means there'll be a bigger focus on the others (even if he does show up, I have a feeling he won't be much use in a fight). Sophia being rescued and raising the shields is also a good move on Kento's part, since that means this sleeping book will be safe a while longer. Also, I like the fact that Elemental Dragon may work with all of the element-based swordsmen. It means the powerup can be passed around instead of having to reveal new books for the non-fluff members.

In the end, the fact that they finally addressed some neglected plot points and character development is what pushed me for the higher rating. On its own, not the most solid ep, but it felt like the chef finally entered the kitchen and started whipping the cooks into shape. Durandal just seems to be the excuse to make a "these things needed fixed" episode. And by the look of things, next episode will be specifically addressing some more neglected plot points.

Not holding my breath, but it makes me hopeful that someone's actually stepped in and is making sure the show gets on track instead of the series looking like the scripts went through a paper shredder, got shuffled, and the writers handed random scraps to work from.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

Durandal was exciting at first and then he went downhill quickly. Being able to distort space is a powerful ability but he didn't use it effectively. Why didn't he just strike down Rintarou before Touma could transform? Or for that matter why not just strike Touma as he's trying to transform? It's not as though the swordsmen are needed, just the books and swords. I guess he thought he could overpower Touma? I suppose he could be extremely cocky but we don't even know anything about his character. The problem with giving a character a potentially OP ability is either it's rendered moot easily or the writers have to make up reasons as to why said character isn't stomping everyone. Case in point, Durandal is nothing compared to Elemental Dragon since apparently Elemental Dragon can just dodge instantaneously. Probably should've offed Touma before he transformed. But hey, at least Rintarou managed to redeem himself a bit after realizing he'd been siding with the bad guys.

If you don't really think about what happens then this episode is somewhere between 3 to 4 stars, but thinking about it makes me disappointed in the debut of Durandal. Oh, and we get less Reika because of this. Not to mention Sophia is back in Northern Base, so what's even the point of Reika now? I feel like she hit her peak a few episodes ago and is now just going to be a lackey until Master Logos has no need for her. This makes me sad.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

This might be far-fetched, but I'm thinking of the possibility that Sophia at the end is actually Reika in disguise
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

It's definitely still a solid episode, keeping in line with the trend and I'm hardly gonna complain about it. Durandal is just like Sabela, drastically one-dimensional and in dire need of way more build up before now, but for what he is, he isn't too bad. The time warping thing is a bit strange, its starting to seem like the Wonder Ride Books used for the base form don't really contribute to the actual abilities? Will see if they touch on it in the next episode or not, cause Ocean History doesn't exactly scream time/space manipulation.

Calling it now, Touma will somehow use the forbidden book Sophia is hiding and make his ultimate form, Elemental Penpal Dragon.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”