2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Hana Den-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Stand Up Comedy
Quote: "If Carrots got you drunk. Rabbits would be f@#$%d up" -Mitch Hedberg
Type: ENFP Champion

Essence of the Red Ranger DND edition.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Cannabis »

My friends and I are making a Sentai Guild for an DND game we are playing. I'm thinking of how I should create the Red ranger. What are the qualities that make a great leader/ Red? Should it be a front line warrior? A med armor fighter/Ranged, or a back line Magic caster? I wanna capture the essence of the red warrior. I'm leaning towards Warrior fighter or maybe a Guardian/Paladin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Essence of the Red Ranger DND edition.

Post by Lunagel »

Red changes drastically every season so it's hard to pin down exactly what qualities every Red has, but I suppose it's tenacity? And always encouraging the others on. A warrior bard?
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr

Post by Blackcondorguy »

I did a similar concept with friends a long time ago, but we were specifically influenced by Maskman (which is a martial arts themed show) so our characters were all Monks with special attributes, if I remember correctly.
I don't think a Red character has to have any specific class (even though I don't picture many sentai characters as D&D Mage), but definitely has to be loyal good, so yeah, something like a knight or paladin seems appropriate.

Luna pins it down very well in my opinion, with tenacity and always encouraging others.
jedimax
7X

Post by jedimax »

The red warrior also effectively acts as the glue for the rest of the team. It has been my experience that Red usually compliments each member with a trait that the member was missing before meeting Red. A perfect example was Daigo aka King from Kyouryuuger. In the beginning, every other member had their own reason for wanting to go solo for the most part and team up only when necessary. Daigo changed that for each and every one of them and they became stronger for it.
Kamen_Rider_Cannabis
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto

We're running a homebrew 5.0 and my DM is letting us a form of technomancy to make it feel like we have to henshin etc. This is still in the planning stages as were actively trying to iron out the details. The name is Battoryu Sentai Girudoman. Red being a paladin class will help the team so I can fill multiple rolls.
Reversemoon
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Reversemoon »

More than filling multiple rolls, a Paladin would be a good option for a Red since at higher levels they have Aura abilities that buff allies in their vicinity. It's definitely a good class for a team with a defined leader, and if you end up not going with Paladin, I'd suggest looking for classes with those types of passive support effects.
It might help if you go over what Girudoman's themes are. Animals? Vehicles? Have you decided on your weapons? Is it like Ryusoulger where they're all the same, or like Zyuranger where they're all different? Creating a character in a vacuum can be fun, but knowing the campaign can be helpful in informing your decisions.

Also, I'm cursed when it comes to DND, so maybe take anything I say with a grain of salt.
Dax
Infinity
Favorite series: Gokai / Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinken / Kabuto
Quote: Avatar by me.

Post by Dax »

Kamen_Rider_Cannabis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 am We're running a homebrew 5.0 and my DM is letting us a form of technomancy to make it feel like we have to henshin etc. This is still in the planning stages as were actively trying to iron out the details. The name is Battoryu Sentai Girudoman. Red being a paladin class will help the team so I can fill multiple rolls.
Have you heard of Lasers and Liches?
You can buy (pay what you want) the first test wave on drivethroughRPG and they have a "ranger" class called "Goreangyr"
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/24 ... est-Wave-1

You should give it a read there might be elements you can use for your homebrewed campaign, change some names stuff like that.

(For the people like me, lucky enough to have participated in the kickstarter for the second test wave, we have access to a retooled version called the "Henshin" that have 3 archetypes: Power Mask (Super Sentai), Magic Mask (Magical Girl) and Speed Mask (Kamen Rider) ).
Completed
Sentai: From Deka to Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider: From Ryuki to Zi-O
Other: GARO, Cutie Honey, Sh15uya, Tokusatsu GaGaGa
Kamen_Rider_Cannabis
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto

Reversemoon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:44 pm More than filling multiple rolls, a Paladin would be a good option for a Red since at higher levels they have Aura abilities that buff allies in their vicinity. It's definitely a good class for a team with a defined leader, and if you end up not going with Paladin, I'd suggest looking for classes with those types of passive support effects.
It might help if you go over what Girudoman's themes are. Animals? Vehicles? Have you decided on your weapons? Is it like Ryusoulger where they're all the same, or like Zyuranger where they're all different? Creating a character in a vacuum can be fun, but knowing the campaign can be helpful in informing your decisions.

Also, I'm cursed when it comes to DND, so maybe take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Our team is Griffon-Red, Beetle Blue, Jakal Green, Gold Rabbit, White Raptor , Gold Manta Ray.
Weapons will be allowed based off the class/race specifics of each character. We haven't decided on a growth mechanic. I think the DM might just narrate the entire sequence. Right now we're in the 3rd day of planning and spitballing. I feel like we're moving more towards a Zenkaiger type team so that we can embrace a certain level of individual aesthetics. This way we can all have different gear types, but still have the color scheme. We decided to go the route of The Red being the only Human.

The Main villians will be Chromatic Elder Dragons.
Dangard_Belmont
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Dangard_Belmont »

Having in mind that I've never play any DND role play games, but I've have experience in scripting fan-games, stories, tales, etc... think more than you look up to "I built a red ranger with this or that", you should probably think about how is the opposite or the final boss or the most powerful mid-boss (Looking for the plot twist, that's the work of the mastermind was creating). In other words, the Essence of a red ranger is (Using Kamen Rider Wizard's concept) : What's the *HOPE* of *DESPERATION* in your DND world and how you will end this *DESPERATION* with the *HOPE*?

PD: I know it can be a little confusing or even a little boring part (extremely boring and confusing part depending of how "big" the story is) but when you have the concept of the world you want, the rest just pop up. I hope this works for you.
Neutronium Ranger
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Malshiina <3
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: None
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Akibaranger!

Post by Neutronium Ranger »

What edition cause in 3.0/3.5 you can use BESM D20 and there is an actual character class called 'Sentai Member' all you have to do is do some conversion to 5.0.

All reds are different mostly they are charismatic
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Neutronium Ranger wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am What edition cause in 3.0/3.5 you can use BESM D20 and there is an actual character class called 'Sentai Member' all you have to do is do some conversion to 5.0.

All reds are different mostly they are charismatic
Aye, if you're using actual D&D, creating a sentai character would be a major undertaking, but if you're playing the D20 D&D game, you should branch out. Unlike D&D, the D20 system is a universal set of roles that covers many franchises which previously had their own games. For example, Star Wars, D&D, AD&D (upon which the D20 system is heavily based), BESM, Babylon 5, and several other "settings" in the D20 system were originally their own roleplaying games with their own rules (for example, Star Wars was a D6 system which only used standard dice).

Thanks to Wizards of the Coast getting rights to so many franchises, you can literally mix and match characters from any setting. Have a Gamorrean in D&D, or a wizard in Star Wars. Bring a B5 technomage into D&D or letthem pilot a giant mech in BESM. The possibilities are endless.

Reds are usually - as others have said - the glue that binds the team together. Red as a colour represents passion (unlike blue, which is usually the cool-headed and logical member). Think about the theme for your sentai group and locate a setting in the D20 system based on that theme. Going for a high-tech group? Star Wars and B5 are both excellent starting points. B5 is also good for creating a first responder-style team.

Once you know the theme and personalities, work on traits that compliment each other, but be sure to give each character one fatal flaw. In Reds, this is often recklessness - younger ones often rush into battle berserker-style. Some, such as GoRed, are more retrospective due to a military background and have a disciplined team of soldiers which work more as equals than as four members and a leader. Remember, use a setting to find the classes that best suit your characters and THEN bring them into D&D. Sentia works because there's a technological or mystical element from which they obtain their powers, so it's easy to have the characters encounter a crashed Starfury or some other element which gives them their powers - or perhaps they chased the villains through a dimensional rift and know nothing about the D&D setting when they first arrive. You can use dual classing (they call it multiclassing in D20, as opposed to actual multiclassing from AD&D) to let the characters learn how to fit into this new world.

A good example: If I were to create GoRanger, I would create them using either BESM or (more likely) SW. Once i bring them into the D&D setting, I would dual-class them as such: GoRed = rogue, GoYellow = barbarian, GoPink = mage, GoGreen = ranger, GoBlue = archer. However, by creating them in SW or BESM, I can give them the proper military background (you have them be rebel troopers or stormtroopers if you start in SW). The rules of those settings will help you create a cloth armour that best matches the uniforms of the show. The weapons themselves could be created using D&D or BESM.

The mecha's rules are well-covered in BESM and you can get additional inspiration from the walkers in SW. The same goes for any carrier ships or non-mecha vehicles they'll be using.

Remember, D20 is the actual system, with the settings all following the same rules. Thus, you can carry characters from one setting to another. There are a few MINOR technical issues in regards to balance when it comes to some spells and such, but that's usually solved by switching to the equivalent spell/skill in the new setting or by allowing the existing skill to function as-is.

While it wasn't D20, a former friend once brought his AD&D character over to Shadowrun while at a convention. The character wowed his team by using knock to instantly open a complex locking mechanism, and was taught urban renewal in exchange for teaching them the knock spell. Both spells required a little tweaking to work in the very different gaming systems (I think Shadowrun was D6-based), but the Shadowrun GM and AD&D DM both permitted it.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Reversemoon
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Reversemoon »

Kamen_Rider_Cannabis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:55 pm Our team is Griffon-Red, Beetle Blue, Jakal Green, Gold Rabbit, White Raptor , Gold Manta Ray.
Weapons will be allowed based off the class/race specifics of each character. We haven't decided on a growth mechanic. I think the DM might just narrate the entire sequence. Right now we're in the 3rd day of planning and spitballing. I feel like we're moving more towards a Zenkaiger type team so that we can embrace a certain level of individual aesthetics. This way we can all have different gear types, but still have the color scheme. We decided to go the route of The Red being the only Human.

The Main villians will be Chromatic Elder Dragons.
Dangard_Belmont wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:50 am Having in mind that I've never play any DND role play games, but I've have experience in scripting fan-games, stories, tales, etc... think more than you look up to "I built a red ranger with this or that", you should probably think about how is the opposite or the final boss or the most powerful mid-boss (Looking for the plot twist, that's the work of the mastermind was creating). In other words, the Essence of a red ranger is (Using Kamen Rider Wizard's concept) : What's the *HOPE* of *DESPERATION* in your DND world and how you will end this *DESPERATION* with the *HOPE*?
So this got me thinking a bit. Griffon is probably a good counter-point to Dragon. Both are quadrupedal, winged creatures of similar build with you being of a comparatively diminutive size. Also being a combination of mammal and bird, whereas Dragons in DND are reptilian. Similar, yet different. Allows the villain to do the whole "you and I aren't so different" speech, with you being able to counter with your own version of "you're wrong!"
If you do choose to go with Paladin, a sword would probably be your best choice of weapon. Not only is it a fairly iconic Red weapon, but it's also iconic as a Dragon-slaying weapon.

Going a bit more into what Belmont was saying, if you're trying to come up with a personality for your character and your enemy is Dragons, you could play into the mortality vs (seemingly) immortality that Dragons seem to have. Either be about experience, in the now, Zenkaiger-Kaito Tropical-Rouge-Manatsu type of character, OR start out very shy and build up to that by the mid-way point.

I hope that was at least a little helpful. Or not. All I really did was say you should use a sword...
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

Dusts off old and unused profile

As someone who has thought up a lot about how to make a Henshin Hero in DnD 5e, if you're using that... my suggestion for how to do it is typically the Kensei Monk (With the ranger outfit being the monkish costume if you'd like), the Warlock (Armor of Shadows), Bladesinger Wizard (Mage Armor) or my personal favorite for Riders, Armorer Artificer, because that last one is a bonus action to put on.

If the Henshin is going to be handled anyway though, you have a lot of options. Fighter, Monk and Paladin can have that Ranger feel, as can Artificer if you flavor the spells and magic items as new toyetic ranger attacks and upgrades/gadgets you can hand out.

To give an example, say you go Artificer, with the Artillerist Subclass. You get Fireball at 9th level - the perfect example of a finishing move fired from a pistol or cannon.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things
KRMonkey
Go Go!
Quote: ...dynamic chop!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by KRMonkey »

Is it crucial to use D&D instead of another gaming system?

If so, and you're just going for theme, I'd stick with a fighter. D&D has historically treated them as the core of adventuring parties. (Actual party composition is highly varied, so I'm thinking mostly about what appears in, say, various editions of the Player's Handbook.)

If you're trying to think up a guild, it's the other members whose classes would be more troublesome, because, with some notable exceptions (Magiranger, Go-Busters, AoNinja), Sentai don't usually have unique abilities. There are often unique weapons, but they don't significantly change how characters fight. If you want the guild to have a Sentai feel, I'd suggest having everyone be a fighter, have red be single-classed (so comparatively OP), and the other members dual-classed with something else, so they're all relatively resilient and competent with hand-to-hand, but with a little individual flavor. I suppose you could also replace "fighter" with "monk" and make a sword weapon-proficiency exception for the red hero.
AnthonyMonaghan
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: Let weak feed upon weak, so that we may divine the true nature of strength

Post by AnthonyMonaghan »

simple see if your DM will allow a minor homebrewed character, go here https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Masked_Warrior_(5e_Class), then come up with an amazing backstory (i find it helps DMs agree)

Return to “Sentai”