Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: KR Saber 31 released

Post by takenoko »

I could stomach Rintarou's emotional despair more if he didn't become the equivalent acting wreck of Ren whenever he gets over emotional
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

It definitely wasn't as smooth as it could have been (that applies to everything in this season), but all the same there's real, palatable emotional weight to Rintarou coming to terms with himself here. The duel did feel a little forced, but I kinda saw it coming, given how he kept pitting himself against Touma in terms of his value as a swordsman. If he really is getting a new power-up next, I think it may be the one most properly earned after the trials of Primitive to Elemental Dragon. I do kinda wish that he'd gotten a bit more to do against Zoous and maybe Durandal first though, Durandal especially since his power and book seem to be in line of similar power to his.

Is time different in Wonder World, was Yuuri literally just chilling in Tassel's house until a random plot messenger showed up to catch him up to speed?
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:19 pm

What's with the weird effect on Mei after she was saved? So weird

She's their sun so they really emphasized that at that point. It's cheesy, but it still works IMO
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

This episode just really grated on me. That shipping moment between Rintaro and Tooma took me back to the days of Faiz and the blatant undertones between the two male protagonists.

Mei's beautiful as ever, even when she's dying apparently (I feel like those shots with her inside the Meggido were done without makeup, which is a nice touch whether or not it's true). In fact, most of the shots of her were amazing this episode, and you could tell she was actively trying to fight the Meggido for control with everything she had. That sun effect after the battle was way overdone, though. A simple, traditional soft glow filter would have worked much better. But I did like how the sun itself was darkening behind the clouds towards the end of the fight. Nice and symbolic.

Mei gave this episode a 4. It would probably have been a 2 otherwise, because it just feels like half the other episodes in this series. "I have an issue, so fight me and I'll magically find the answer" was a cheap cop-out the first time, and it's been done literally dozens of times by now (sometimes multiple times in an episode). It also looks like next episode will be creating a trend that'll get boring pretty quick. I'll wait and see if they do anything interesting before passing judgement, though.
takenoko wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 am How many ways can Sabela die? She can:
-Die killing Master Logos for her brother for some reason
-Get killed by her brother for failing to serve Master Logos

Hmmm, that's all I can think of. Make your bet now!
Obviously, she was shaken up by Logos ignoring her, so instead she's going to make senpai... I mean onee-san notice her. Her behaviour around him makes me wonder though... are they really brother and sister? Or are they something different, maybe a married couple hiding it because swordsmen should be single? That little scene definitely gave some creepier vibes than Luke/Leia romancing.

That said, my prediction is Sabela's trying to make her brother acknowledge her (he doesnae seem to show any emotion or respect towards her, so maybe she's also jealous Logos likes him more than her). She'll end up going after the final Meggido herself and Logos will send her brother to stop her. When that happens, Tooma saves her and she has a redemption arc five minutes. She'll best her brother, then die a dozen or so episodes later trying to take down Logos in a duel and getting her lovely posterior handed back to her a thousand times over in a matter of seconds. All of Emo Sentai Swordger will mourne her for about two minutes, then forget she ever existed outside of the obligatory "fallen comrades" montage during the final boss battle.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

Watched 30 & 31 together and it felt better that way as opposed to 30 and then 31. Even so it doesn't make Rintarou's whining any easier to stomach. I get why it's happening, but that doesn't mean I like the execution. I wish there was more depth to it as opposed to either being completely withdrawn or bad shouting. At least we finally got a resolution to Rintarou so we don't have to deal with it anymore. I would have done it differently and given Rintarou more nuance but Saber isn't known for that so we take what we get.

Oh Sabela, it's all gone downhill since your debut fight. I was a fool to get my hopes up. It'd be a miracle if you survive the series. My prediction is she'll die to Master Logos because reasons. Not good ones, but reasons.

I do wish everything about Mei being a Meggido was handled better. There was SO much more they could have done emotionally with Mei, Touma, and Rintarou if the situation was different. What we got was fine. It could've been worse so at least that didn't happen.
Hanadi Sensei
Favorite series: Toqger, W, Drive, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Shinkenger, Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Mio of ToQger and Tsukasa of LuPat
Favorite Band: Hello Sleepwalkers
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Cosplay ROM

Post by Hanadi Sensei »

Oh wait... The keychain people... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Did Saber just cut that meat shield without the writer explaining what happened to those keychain people?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Touma made a hard decision to save his friend over a bunch of strangers. The kind of edgy move you'd expect from a dark show like Saber!
MaskedRiderChris2020
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: The GARO franchise
2nd Favorite Series: Jyuuken Sentai Gekiranger
Dreamy: Reika Shindai (rawr)
Favorite Band: LOVEBITES
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Necronomidol
Quote: "Is that gasoline, Mister Gideon?"
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MaskedRiderChris2020 »

Heh, me? I'm just glad that Rintarou canned it with the CLAB Syndrome (Cry Like A B***h) this episode. I get why--the whole thing about his extended family and support system being sabotaged and ripped out from under him, etc.--but still. In the time I've been watching "Saber" I like that they're emphasizing the bond between the swordsmen, the camaraderie they have, but there has been an awful lot of random weirdness along the way (thank you, Toei?). But that emo boy stuff has gotta go, no argument there. Touma is an intensely likable lead, IMO, and Rintarou is showing signs of growth, and Mei has finally progressed beyond being the shrill and irritating sort she was at the very beginning of the series all the time; they're actually letting her show and acquire some depth, and I like that. And yes, Kawazu-san is a cutie pie. Saikou is actually giving me inspiration for RPing my Warforged character in the 5th Edition game my group just started (the character was defunct on a battlefield for 10 years previous to game time, for one thing), and no, Tassel isn't creepy at all, not him, never. In general, though? I like what the series is aiming for and I'm into seeing where it goes from here. We're already over halfway through the series and power ups and increased shenanigans from the villains are right around the corner, so I'm willing to see this through to the end.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”