My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 32 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.93 /5 stars (14 votes)

Sub Title: Raid on Northern Base

Votes BoukenBlue for toku dad he'd want to have

Liked this Rintarou story better

So, we've gotten rid of Slash, Buster, and Kenzan... Why were these guys around again?

Ooh, Sabela is having doubt in her leader

Yeah, that was a fine episode. Kind of feel like Durendal is still overpowered. If Master Logos hadn't called him back, he would have totally got a good hit in on Touma. Not really liking Touma just generating new powers and abilities whenever the plot makes it convenient. That's not satisfying
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: KR Saber 32 released

Post by Mighty Action X »

I don't think so. Durendal is overly reliant to his blade's ability. His swordsmanship is not even that impressive.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

~2/3 of the way to go. decent fights, but the endless powerups and ffs the daddy issues with these guys....

loose threads to go:

espada / calibur
destal & ninjaboy
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

I believe the word you are looking for Taka is "deus ex machina", which I am curious if Ghost pulled off anything like this as well.
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

Sabela is starting to doubt Master Logos, but at best she'll "confront" him and get killed off. There's no way she'll betray him and go with Northern Base.

Rintarou has come full circle from blindly following his "family" to trusting his own convictions and protecting what he truly feels needs protecting. It's about time.

Not a fan of Touma being able to see what Durendal is actually doing, but I don't think the writers would have done a better job of it. It's either Touma gets another powerup that lets him crush Durendal, or he just knows how to do it. I don't trust the writers to actually have Touma either learn how to do it or do enough research/training to pull it off.

Speaking of Durendal, not a fan of him. He's clearly being held back, because otherwise he'd mop the floor with all the swordsmen. This is the issue when you present an overpowered ability with no proper way of balancing it out. The only reason Durendal hasn't beaten everyone is because the story isn't about Durendal winning, so there has to be random reasons why he can't win. It'd be better if they just gave Durendal a huge character flaw that would make it so he doesn't win, but that would giving him characterization, which they're not really interested in. This just makes me more disappointed that Sabela is relegated to lackey status.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

PurpleHat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:36 pm Sabela is starting to doubt Master Logos, but at best she'll "confront" him and get killed off. There's no way she'll betray him and go with Northern Base.

Rintarou has come full circle from blindly following his "family" to trusting his own convictions and protecting what he truly feels needs protecting. It's about time.

Not a fan of Touma being able to see what Durendal is actually doing, but I don't think the writers would have done a better job of it. It's either Touma gets another powerup that lets him crush Durendal, or he just knows how to do it. I don't trust the writers to actually have Touma either learn how to do it or do enough research/training to pull it off.

Speaking of Durendal, not a fan of him. He's clearly being held back, because otherwise he'd mop the floor with all the swordsmen. This is the issue when you present an overpowered ability with no proper way of balancing it out. The only reason Durendal hasn't beaten everyone is because the story isn't about Durendal winning, so there has to be random reasons why he can't win. It'd be better if they just gave Durendal a huge character flaw that would make it so he doesn't win, but that would giving him characterization, which they're not really interested in. This just makes me more disappointed that Sabela is relegated to lackey status.
Then again, knowing the writer himself, 'twas only a matter of time before the plot starts falling on its face again. Albeit only on a bit of softer ground so far.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:09 pm Not really liking Touma just generating new powers and abilities whenever the plot makes it convenient. That's not satisfying
I don't think it's a new power. Elemental had the ability to dodge Durendal's attacks from the beginning, The way it was portrayed, I feel like it was a decent enough progression. This is the first time Tooma's really been forced to watch Durendal in action from the sidelines, which gave Elemental a chance to show him what it sees. It's then just a matter of trusting the armour to guide him in a sort of blind fighting manner. So not really a new power, just an acceptance of one we've already seen.

They could have done better, but at least it makes a lot more sense than most of the other shenanigans.

Speaking of Durendal, the man's an idiot. He could easily have just slowed time and grabbed the books at the very beginning instead of waiting for the enemy to henshin. I mean, seriously! These villains really need to grow a pair...

I really love that Sabela's showing a little doubt. It means she might develop some personality soon, I honestly don't mind being wrong about thinking she was following Logos for power, so long as they find another reason for her to be doing what she does. It was also nice to see she was doing SOMETHING while everyone else was playing games. I guess the earth blade is so heavy that's all she could manageduring the entire battle.

Rintaro acting like an adult... I hope that's going to be for more than one episode.

Also, the battles were done a bit better this episode, although the arrow shot at the beginning was some terrible CGI and the outdoors part of the final battle felt like I was watching someone play a video game. But overall, it was nice to see people battling for actual stakes and not just "reasons".
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Head empty, only pretty Sabela in mind

Blades' new form somehow reminded me of Ryukendo

And I can't comprehend how Touma can suddenly dodge Durendal's attacks
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Its not often a secondary Rider ends up with my favorite form of the series, I can count the times its happened on one hand. The entire concept of the form feels like an elevation for Rintarou in a way none of Touma's forms have fittingly portrayed, and it's honestly pretty impressive they managed to stick the landing with the character development for him along with it, given how bad the opening arc for this season was. It shows some interesting different dynamics to the greater power of the All Book, unlike the haphazard way they shoved extra elements into Elemental Dragon, it totally makes sense that a core fragment of the All Book would have concepts of multiple beasts falling under a united elemental theme. Plus the side-ways opening book and spinning symbol-plate are entirely unique to everything before it, the whole form just comes off as refreshing.

If this were any other writer on the season, I'd err on the side of Touma's new power being tied to Elemental Dragon/Flame Blade Rekka, but this is Ghost's writer we're talking about so of course it has to be something else entirely, likely wrapped up with that whole 'fated to gain power' concept Yuuri never stops talking about. Durandal is definitely on the OP side of things and they've shown no signs of having any off-set to his time pausing powers, I do wonder if he was pressed into the cast last minute and they couldn't reconcile how to use him properly. And it might be just as abrupt, but I liked Zoous's death moment way more than Legial's, it seemed to suit him better from what little we knew of him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm like hte opposite. I think most of my favorite Riders are second Riders. The main Riders tend to be fine, but kind of one-dimensional generic white bread heroes. The secondary Rider is where you get more nuance. I swear, I'm not trying to be edgy!
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

takenoko wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm I'm like hte opposite. I think most of my favorite Riders are second Riders. The main Riders tend to be fine, but kind of one-dimensional generic white bread heroes. The secondary Rider is where you get more nuance. I swear, I'm not trying to be edgy!
TBF, most media tend to be hit-or-miss in terms of main protagonists.
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

takenoko wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm I'm like hte opposite. I think most of my favorite Riders are second Riders. The main Riders tend to be fine, but kind of one-dimensional generic white bread heroes. The secondary Rider is where you get more nuance. I swear, I'm not trying to be edgy!
Main riders have generally been on the "safer" side of characterization, while the secondary rider either has a flaw or quirk that wouldn't mesh with being the protag. It ends up being that the secondary rider has more characterization and depth, even if it's mostly to contrast how they might be "lesser" than the main rider. Maybe they're "too" emotional, irrational, aggressive, irresponsible, etc. That said, a more interesting character is one that has a flaw and has an arc around it as opposed to being bland a lot. Touma is likable, but he's a little bland and stories centered around him are okay. Rintarou has his flaws but the stories centered around him have been much better than Touma's.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

Give it a 3 just because i loved Rintarou's Simba the White Lion form lol!

As far as secondary/tertiary riders, KR Drive comes to mind, Mach and Chaser just was way more interesting to watch than Drive.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”