Name spelling...

The pen is mightier than the sword!
BOLTAGON
Number 6
Number 6

Name spelling...

Post by BOLTAGON »

Hello everyone!!! Newbie here!

I thought I'd drop by to help with the name translations for the people who will be doing KR Saber's translations.

As Saber premiered just a few hours ago, I came across the official site and noticed that the cast page has the characters' names spelled using the weird in-universe alphabet. To that end, I have discovered the following names:

-MEGID, for the monsters/kaijin
-LEGEIEL/ZOOOUS/STORIOUS, for the 3 Megid commanders

I hope this helps in time for the 1st episode release!!! Thank you and looking forward to episode 1!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Name spelling...

Post by takenoko »

Huh, that's pretty interesting. Thank you so much for thinking of us, I love hearing about stuff like this. People are so clever!

When I did the translation last night, I used Megiddo because someone told me that was the base word for Armageddon

I don't remember what I used for the promos, but I feel like Legeil/Zoous/Storious are pretty close. Legend, zoo, and story, right? Their names haven't appeared in episode 1 so far, but I'll keep the official spellings in mind, or pass it on to whoever ends up translating Saber permanently

Thanks again!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Storious or Storius is definitely right. I've seen people write "Sutorius", and I'm just like...you do know it's quite clearly from the word "Story", right?

But to be fair, loads of people insisted on spelling the Zi-O villain as Uhr, even when the Heure spelling came out, and the fact that the pronounciations are nothing alike (Uhr is more like ウアー). Or the people who insist on Kajiki Yellow's name being "Sparda", even though it's clearly the Italian for sword. Some people are just dumb.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You have to remember that there were also people swearing that 'Gord Drive' was correct because it was on promotional material.

People have different obsessions. Some are obsessed with how to localise names in Karate Bugmen.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Probably don't need to say this, but just to make it clear that we totally don't think that is what the op is doing. There's always room for argument about the accuracy of Toei's English spellings, but it's pretty useful to know where they stand on stuff one way or the other
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

To be somewhat fair, Uhr is the German word for clock, so I can see how that came to be. But the insistence is indeed pretty dumb after we got an official answer.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

so, will you be keeping in the names of the equipment the riders used at the official, like the 'Kaenken Rekka', cause in the dialogue in the first episode there was already a translation of the sword of flames from 'honoo no ken'. As well as will you be keeping spaces for 'Wonder Ride Book'?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Everything in this series will be translated into Coptic Greek to fit better with the mythological theme.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Who isn't putting spaces in Wonder Ride Book? Are we going back to ancient Rome?!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Would that be WonderRideBook or Wonderridebook?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/saber/enemy/shimii/

Do we think this enemy is named after shimi/smudge https://jisho.org/search/shimi
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I thought they kind of look like silverfish.

Which would make sense given that silverfish eat book glue.
BOLTAGON
Number 6
Number 6

Post by BOLTAGON »

Back again after many months!!!

So as with the topic relevance, TV-Asahi just released their updated cast page, featuring their official (?) romanization for the Immortal Swordsman's name

"BAHATO"

All this time, it was just a simple Spell-As-You-Pronounce case with his name.

Opinions are welcome :)

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”