Kiramager the Movie: Bebop Dreams discussion thread

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager the Movie: Bebop Dreams discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Another fine episode of Kiramager. As usual, everything just works and is great

Minjo was a perfect villain. I was wondering why she sounded familiar, she's Dan Mitsu who plays Gai's secretary in that terrible show Gouraigan. Which is such a waste of talent, because she's so good here. Her voice is perfect, her facial expression, especially with this bright red lips. Also her cool pants suit with the gaudy shoes, the long ponytail and the badass scythe weapon. She was really great

Feel a bit bad for the Inception team, since they're taken out almost immediately

On the charm that Minjo places on the Dreamstone, some characters are recognizable. There's the big Y for Yodonheim as usual. Then there's what looks like 3 z's for sleeping. Next is what looks like a kanji. Then finally a M. Maybe for Yami/darkness or Yume/dream?

Sad the Dreamstone doesn't give you a summer toy to combine to your robot

Minjo turning into a weird headcrab squid to power up the sheep monster was okay, it's a nice idea that doesn't feel fully explored

Sena in a wedding dress, because why not

The only thing that could have made this better is more Sayo doing smart things
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Re: Kiramager the Movie: Bebop Dreams discussion thread

Post by midorininger »

i was really expecting Juuryu to make the stone into something like a ufo, and i guess the Zabu-cannon was just having fun with how the toy works?

the kirameisilver costume sure turns black when wet. and the movie monster wasnt the usual Jamen, its was an actual costume! sure footballheadjamen, or maybe was he pigskinjamen? was there... but yeah the "R.E.M. ram monster was a nice break from the usual.

um ... but that thing juuryu made with the dream stone ... that "pencil" looking thing, was just .... perhaps it belonged on Wakusavers set!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That was Rugby Jamen, the first jamen in this series I think?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

oh ... the MOTW were semi forgettable considering how many had siblings. but hey at least they were called siblings thus having a cannon reason to reuse the suits, Zyuohger your reason was weaksauce and you know it!
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Thanks for subbing the Kiramager vs. Ryusoulger ending dance btw. Although, I thought that could be released on the TV-Nihon tracker. Is that also Copyright Infringement or is it because it's easier releasing it with something else? Either way, I'm grateful. πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ˜†πŸ₯³πŸ‘
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's kind of weird seeing the series' movie on home video after the team-up movie. But hey, it's been that kind of year.

The Kiramagers have always been fun without being too over the top, and this movie does a good job embodying that. It's still a Sentai movie - which are hit & miss at the best of times - but like the TV series itself, it's a solid entry into the franchise.

I know we'll never get the answer to this, but I'm very curious how far along they were in filming the movie before COVID sent everything pear-shaped. We know the summer movies tend to film relatively early, so combined with the initial cancellations of the summer movies, I have to assume they got at least part-way through. Which is reflected in the summer theming that is still present in the movie. So whatever happened, they clearly didn't throw out the entire script and start over.

But with all of the script changes, I can't really figure out where it belongs in the chronology. It has to take place after Numaajo is defeated, but also before Yodonna shows up. I don't know if there even is a period like that?

As for the plot, this movie follows the usual Sentai movie trope of trying to be stand-alone, but I appreciate that they didn't entirely exclude Garuza and Kurantula here. They were definitely minor players, but that's a lot more involved than in most Sentai movies. Especially since Garuza was on the receiving end of the movie shenanigans for once.

Meanwhile we get a proper face villainess with Minjo, and that's just great. Since there's no Yodonna at this point, Minjo has to carry the villains' side in both plot and emotions, and she does so quite well. The character has no specific agency besides being evil, unfortunately; but eh, that's not unusual for Sentai. It's also nice to see more of the Minjo/Numaajo costume; it's not particularly extravagant, but it has a certain elegance to it in a way that none of the Jamenshi (or even the other commanders) can match. And like Numaajo, Minjo's mask has this fantastic porcelain doll look to it (unlike the object-focused Jamenshi).

The MOTW was less impressive, but it was largely there to be a pin cushion to begin with. It's still a nice deviation from the norm to get a fully-suited MOTW rather than a Jamenshi for the movie, and thank you to the translator for picking up on the fact that the MOTW is saying "Rem". Having that capitalized immediately made it very clear what the MOTW's motif was.

I do wish the big revelation that the Kiramagers could control the dream was handled a bit better. I like the twist, and of course Jewel would be the one to figure that out. Still, the actual execution didn't live up to the potential of the idea; something was missing.

What wasn't missing was a fun mecha fight. I suspect this is another element that underwent a post-COVID script change (and that Zabyuun was supposed to be a movie mecha), but it still works. This is the first time we've seen a version of the waterfront refinery set in what feels like forever; it goes really well with the lighting built into the Kiramager robos. I do wish it was a bit longer of a fight - it didn't feel any longer than a mecha fight in a normal episode - but at 38 minutes, this is already the longest Sentai movie in quite some time.

Finally, the ED dance with Garuza and Kurantula was an unexpected chuckle. The Garuza suit is too heavy for that dance, of course, so I like how the crew instead played it off as Garuza slowly getting into the song as it progressed.:lol:
takenoko wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm Minjo was a perfect villain. I was wondering why she sounded familiar, she's Dan Mitsu who plays Gai's secretary in that terrible show Gouraigan. Which is such a waste of talent, because she's so good here. Her voice is perfect, her facial expression, especially with this bright red lips. Also her cool pants suit with the gaudy shoes, the long ponytail and the badass scythe weapon. She was really great
I have to admit that I didn't recognize her in the slightest during my first watch. Given that the only other thing I've seen her in is Gouraigan, frankly I'm not accustomed to seeing her wearing so much clothing. :oops:

You're right, though: she kills it. Coming off of Gouraigan, I had no idea she had that kind of talent.
Sena in a wedding dress, because why not
Is it me, or at we at a point where someone ends up in a wedding dress pretty much every season? Not that I'm complaining, of course. :lol:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

IIRC original promo for this movie didn't even feature Silver, though later promos did. Hard to say if he had a smaller part as a just-introduced ranger at that point, although his part isn't huge here either.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

KiremaiSilver follows all extra team members which they don't much screen time but at least he got more screen time than RyuSoulGold did.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

The movie was great! I loved it! And it was 39 minutes; the longest summer movie in the last 15-16 years... So that was great.

So Minjo is talking about the Silver Kiramei Stone inside Takamichi...They haven't talked about that in a while.

Kiramei Stones sleep? Weird...

So was Minjo targetting random people? Or was she targetting the Kiramagers after targetting the normal people?

Shiguru is sleeping while sitting...

The girls were looking great in the Yukatas. I wish we had gotten the summer scenes in the series. Why did they not have the summer scenes in Kiramager anyways? I love those scenes where they have fireworks and the summer festivities.

Lol, Shiguru's Ice shaver scene was hilarious. Sayo trying to run from the Gold Fish was funny too, even though I felt pity for her.

The scene where the ground cracks open and Mach falls into the ground was interesting. I don't remember seeing anything like that before.

King Oladin was hilarious.

Mabushiina telling the Rugby Jamen to not mess with her and then knocking him out with her head was the boldest thing she ever did. Not bad. Wish there were more scenes like this.

Why did Shovellow become emotional when saying Sena's name? Was it because he was glad that they were all ok or was it the wedding dress?

I was surprised. Mabushiina got destroyed and shattered to pieces. I didn't expect that. It's possible that it doesn't matter since it's a dream, but isn't it usually the case that if they die in a dream, they die in the real world too? It's kinda confusing. It's fine that isn't the case here but it makes things puzzling.

Loved that Sena came forward and covered for Jyuuru and Tametomo. It's rare for her to do that since she's usually told to do stuff. But here she took charge and offered to cover for them. That was cool.

Wow! A whole lot of water and getting wet for Jyuuru and Tametomo. From being washed up from the ocean to landing in Yodonheim to rain. Lol.

I like the idea of mechs changing colors but to me, Shovellow doesn't look good in red. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‘πŸ˜πŸ˜Ά

Oh boy... Here comes- PPAP... No comment, except that I don't get this obsession of theirs with PPAP and Pikotaro.

Sayo used the Kiramei Shot outside of her suit! That's a first!

Why did Sayo, Heliko, and Jetta start singing PPAP?

Man! I loved it so much when the Kiramagers told Muryo to shut up immediately after they woke up! Telling him to shut up was a must at this point.

Whoa! Minjo was scared! I don't remember the last time I saw a face villain being scared. Interesting, and a nice change in Kiramager since Yodonna isn't scared of anyone and others are scared of her.

Sigh. They sidelined Takamichi again. He sure was useless. I don't even consider him a part of the team anymore. Even Muryo got more attention than Takamichi.

Shiguru and Jyuuru got the coolest fight scenes! Shiguru's was also realistic with the usage of the wire.

Wow! They grew a monster and Minjo combined with it. That was nice to see.

The mech fight: it was too obvious that it is a small set instead of a city. It was not convincing in the slightest. The nighttime setting didn't help at all... The bazooka was cool though.

Loved the dance!!! It was a perfect fit for Kiramager!!! Although I feel pity for the actresses of Sena and Sayo. Even though they were mostly in scenes that didn't require too much movement, in some scenes they were barely moving and could only move their hands while wearing those clothes.

I still feel disappointed about Tametomo not getting enough change in his wardrobe. We got some interesting change of clothes from all of the Kiramagers in this movie. We saw Jyuuru in his pajamas, Shiguru in the Happi coat, Sayo in a Yukata, Sena in a Yukata, and a wedding dress. Even Takamichi wore his Crystalian prince clothes. All we saw Tametomo wear was his casual clothes: a hoodie, T-shirt and pants... Disappointing but I guess even that is too much considering he only wore gamer-style clothes and his uniform... πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜ΆπŸ˜’πŸ™„πŸ™πŸ˜žπŸ˜“πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Great movie. I was laughing a lot and seeing the Kiramagers doing their thing was so nice and enjoyable.
takenoko wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm Minjo was a perfect villain. I was wondering why she sounded familiar, she's Dan Mitsu who plays Gai's secretary in that terrible show Gouraigan. Which is such a waste of talent, because she's so good here. Her voice is perfect, her facial expression, especially with this bright red lips. Also her cool pants suit with the gaudy shoes, the long ponytail, and the badass scythe weapon. She was really great
Agreed. She was great! I really wish Minjo and Numajo got more focus. Especially Numajo. She was a really good villain with awesome features and potential. Sad that they wasted all that. But at least Minjo got some focus in this movie, so that's good.
takenoko wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm Sena in a wedding dress, because why not
Lol. True. She did look beautiful but I wish they explained the reason for her being in a wedding dress in the first place.
takenoko wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pm The only thing that could have made this better is more Sayo doing smart things
True. Sayo was only involved in ridiculous and humorous scenes. I wish she did something mature and smart.
ViRGE wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 am But with all of the script changes, I can't really figure out where it belongs in the chronology. It has to take place after Numaajo is defeated, but also before Yodonna shows up. I don't know if there even is a period like that?
I read on the Toei site that this movie takes place between episodes 23 and 24. And that makes enough sense to me.
ViRGE wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 am Finally, the ED dance with Garuza and Kurantula was an unexpected chuckle. The Garuza suit is too heavy for that dance, of course, so I like how the crew instead played it off as Garuza slowly getting into the song as it progressed.:lol:
Lol, true. It was nice to have the villains in the ending dance, both here and in the Kiramager Vs. Ryusoulger.
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:15 am So was Minjo targetting random people? Or was she targetting the Kiramagers after targetting the normal people?
The Dream Stone was affecting anyone who went asleep. So it wasn't targeting random people or even the Kiramagers, just anyone or anything that was sleeping during the time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Especially Numajoh.

Majo doesn't have the long vowel actually. Jo (ε₯³) is the kanji for woman. So stuff like Witch (Majo) or Young Girl (Shoujo) would just be that
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

PPAP... was waiting for that the whole time 😁
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングγ‚ͺージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
γ‚Ήγƒ‘γ‚€γƒ€γƒΌγƒžγƒ³
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba Sη—›
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Always loved Kiramamger and this film only disappointed in that we had to wait longer to see it :D Definitely the best of the Super Sentai triple-bill (which is saying something as Zenkaiger's film had all the Reds). Definitely a Sentai classic.
Thenosa Yechette wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:15 am
The girls were looking great in the Yukatas. I wish we had gotten the summer scenes in the series. Why did they not have the summer scenes in Kiramager anyways? I love those scenes where they have fireworks and the summer festivities.

King Oladin was hilarious.

I was surprised. Mabushiina got destroyed and shattered to pieces. I didn't expect that. It's possible that it doesn't matter since it's a dream, but isn't it usually the case that if they die in a dream, they die in the real world too? It's kinda confusing. It's fine that isn't the case here but it makes things puzzling.

Finally, the ED dance with Garuza and Kurantula was an unexpected chuckle. The Garuza suit is too heavy for that dance, of course, so I like how the crew instead played it off as Garuza slowly getting into the song as it progressed.:lol:
Lol, true. It was nice to have the villains in the ending dance, both here and in the Kiramager Vs. Ryusoulger.
[/quote]

girls in yukatas: For all we know, that's another COVID casualty.

funny King Oradin: Yes. Just yes :)

destroyed Mabushiina: Hell yeah. That was cold. I'm almost surprised she didn't appear again until the ending dance to assure the audience she was okay. Granted, her being in the whole series was a good indicator but STILL...

Garza + ending dance: Just writing to their strengths and weakness: they knew the suit would be a heavy pain in the butt so they made him the party pooper :lol:
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

takenoko wrote: ↑Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 am Majo doesn't have the long vowel actually. Jo (ε₯³) is the kanji for woman. So stuff like Witch (Majo) or Young Girl (Shoujo) would just be that
Noted. I'll try to remember that. Thanks for letting me know. πŸ˜„πŸ˜πŸ˜Š

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

takenoko wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:03 pmMinjo was a perfect villain. I was wondering why she sounded familiar, she's Dan Mitsu who plays Gai's secretary in that terrible show Gouraigan.
Yeah, I watched that show and asked myself what are they trying to accomplish with that. They made a show with a plot intended for 10 year old but with R-18 visuals. I mean, what the hell?

Return to β€œMashin Sentai Kiramager”