Yodonna 1 discussion thread

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Yodonna 1 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

I like that Kakihara still has a nasty side even though she's reformed or whatever

/me pauses video to check. Why yes, this was directed by Sakamoto Koichi

The scene with Mizuki, Yodonna, and the stunt double all dressed as maids and switching between shots must have been fun to shoot

Man, it's been a while since we've seen Shimazu Kentarou. It's good to see the guy!

So many broken necks!

Wow ball buster. This show sure is violent

Wait, that was just one of the emotions. One of four collected?

Anyone surprised that the cop guy is evil?

How many episdoes of this are we going to get?

Seems like Sakamoto didn't get enough of the girl fight from the Kiramager movie. But this was pretty fun. I'll have to look over the credits to see if I can figure out who the four maids at the end are. Which stunt double is which?

Edit:
Oh fuck, the brother's Stinger

The first otaku is played by Muraoka Hiroyuki, who is one of the weirdest fucking dudes in tokudom. If you see a weird looking guy, it'll turn out to be him
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Muraoka_Hiroyuki

In case you don't recognize the cop, that's Kamio Yuu. That guys a master of disguise. Kai from Den-O is the gang leader

The weirdest credit here is the guy who plays the gang that gets offed at the beginning. That guy is a Jackie Chan impersonator
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Yodonna 1 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

So I was curious about whether the maids were suit actors. It looks like it's just the first two.

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Honma_Shiori
Honma Shiori was in Kiramager VS Ryusoulger

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kodama_Moka
Kodama Moka is in quite a lot of things! I feel like her face is super familiar too

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Yamamoto_Yume
Don't recognize this one from anything

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ikenaga_Ami
She had a guest role on Kiramager 21-22
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Did Mizuki Saiba get braces or something?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Were her teeth messed up in Episode 0 or something?
Rider Cure Man
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Favorite Band: Sub-Radio
My boom: Resident Evil
Quote: "Now, Count Your Sins"

Post by Rider Cure Man »

They should have just called it the Sexy Room or something, calling the Special Room makes it sound like your gonna get murdered
''Please return that button to God'' - Keisuke Nago
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What special rooms have you been going to?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It wasn't until I actually started watching this episode that it dawned on me just how special it is. We're accustomed to the (almost) yearly Sentai Returns movie, so a post-series production isn't all that odd for Sentai. However the Returns movies are for the whole cast and are basically just an extension of the show itself; Sentai doesn't regularly make bona fide spin-off movies in the way that Kamen Rider does. So a spin-off movie starring a face villain (Yodonna) is going surprisingly off the beaten path for conservative Toei. Girls in Trouble would probably be the most comparable production here, but even that was less a spin-off and more a companion piece to a multi-franchise crossover movie. So we're in new territory here, as evidenced by the parental warning at the start of the movie.

Anyhow, I write pretty often about how much I enjoy a good face villain, so giving a whole movie/series to Yodonna is pretty much everything I could ever ask for. Our no-nonsense Yodomheim general got done dirty at the end of Kiramager - both in regards to the character and her character arc - so it's great to get her back to wrap that up. Killing Kakihara obviously isn't going to work in the end - this series isn't exactly hiding the fact that it's setting up Yodonna to at least slightly redeem herself - but thus far it's a fun journey. In the meantime, the characters of Yodonna and Kakihara play off of each other quite nicely; they have a shared mean streak while still contrasting nicely with optimism versus cynicism (and worldliness vs. naivety). So kudos to whoever came up with the idea of pairing up Yodonna with a side character like this.

For being a spin-off of a superhero show, I have to say I'm enjoying the relatively low stakes of this series. The fate of the Earth (or the universe) doesn't hang in the balance, and there isn't some kind of all-powerful big-bad to vanquish. Technically there aren't even any super-heroics involved; no one is transforming, and Yodonna has to fight within the limits of Kakihara's human body. This is basically just a Japanese cop/gangster drama within the framework of Kiramager, and thus far it's working quite well. After raising supoerpowered hell for half a series, Yodonna has to deal with the common folk for a while. With that said, I'm sure a big part of the reason this setting is being used is also due to budgets (minimal CGI, no need for otherworldly sets, etc), so this may be one of those cases where being constrained is helping the writers think outside of the box.

Finally, I completely cracked up at the point where Kakihara used the Kiramager ED dance as an attack. That came entirely out of left field and it was hilariously stupid. Not only is it an absurd way to attack someone, but the repeated cuts between the smiling Kakihara and glaring Yodonna put it over the top. It doesn't hurt either that the Kiramager ED is pretty catchy to begin with.

Yodonna and Kakihara's actresses really stepped up for this episode as well. While there was still plenty of stunt double use (which Yodonna's hair makes easier to do), there are also a number of cuts where each actress is clearly doing her own stunts. Since Yodonna doesn't have a transformed fighting mode to hide her face, she was used a bit sparingly in fights in Kiramager. So it's fun to see her actress really cut loose in an extended series of fights. The guy playing the club host can also really move! Between his use of front, side, and back flips, he was flipping awesome.:lol:

Overall, this was a really enjoyable first episode. We got some good character moments, some fan service, a few cameos, and a lot of great stunt fighting. So I'm looking forward to the next one.

As an aside, this episode also earned its parental warning. I'd say it's less explicit than Girls In Trouble, but that was still a pretty nasty throat slash, and a cafe full of maids to fight makes for plenty of skin. (And Sakamoto somehow got a completely gratuitous girl-on-girl kiss in there, as well)

Other observations:
  • After finding out earlier this week that Kurantula's suit actor was in fact a suit actress, it's extra noticeable in this episode that Datula is an altogether different suit actor. He's far taller than Kurantula (who was roughly a Yodonna in height) and that's very much a man's jaw. That's still the same voice actor, however.
  • One day soon Jewel is going to have to figure out why Kakihara wants to be alone with him...
  • Maid cafes always look so creepy/pathetic in Toku. Are they that lame in real life as well?
  • Was the text on the parental warning card in English for the original Japanese release? Or did the release group repaint it here?
  • Kakihara fights dirty! :shock:
takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:07 pm I like that Kakihara still has a nasty side even though she's reformed or whatever
It certainly makes for a more interesting character than a flat goodie-goodie.
/me pauses video to check. Why yes, this was directed by Sakamoto Koichi
If the violence doesn't clue you in, the leg shots will. :lol: That said, this is Sakamoto in his element; the dude just has a flair for stunt fighting that none of Toei's other Toku directors can quite match.
The scene with Mizuki, Yodonna, and the stunt double all dressed as maids and switching between shots must have been fun to shoot
I had the same thought. With all of the cuts I'm sure it took a while to film. But the final cut of the fight looked fantastic.
Anyone surprised that the cop guy is evil?
Not in the slightest. By the time he was acting surprised that Stinger found the gang's business spot, it was clear that he was in on it.
How many episdoes of this are we going to get?
Has Toei seriously not stated how many episodes there will be? I was expecting this to be a movie, so I'm already surprised that it's episodic. But at a minimum I would have expected Toei to list how many episodes there will be.

Given that she only just learned the first emotion in her quest, I'm thinking this may be a 3 or 4 part series. When is episode 2 due, anyhow?
The weirdest credit here is the guy who plays the gang that gets offed at the beginning. That guy is a Jackie Chan impersonator
Well, that explains why it looked like it was Jackie Chan getting offed at the beginning. Clearly it wasn't just a coincidence. :D
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:16 am Were her teeth messed up in Episode 0 or something?
She was perhaps a smidge buck-toothed in episode 0. It was less obvious in this movie (though her lower teeth are still clearly out of alignment on the couple of occasions you can see them)
Rider Cure Man wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:42 am They should have just called it the Sexy Room or something, calling the Special Room makes it sound like your gonna get murdered
Truth in advertising. If they had said it was the sexy room and didn't deliver on the sexy, that would be fraud. But by calling it the special room, customers are getting exactly what it says on the label.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

What are the chances of this "Jackie Chan" in this special being the real Jackie Chan? I am aware that Toei can't afford Jackie Chan, but mathematically speaking what are the chances(if there is any chance at all)?
I found this Yodonna PR commentary by the "Jackie Chan" that appeared in this Yodonna special (only available in Japan):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmWeGAqD ... m&index=11
Also, this page has a paragraph about this "Jackie Chan" that appears in this special. I couldn't understand from the Google Translate so if someone could translate the paragraph that would be great.
https://www.toei.co.jp/release/bb/1226319_971.html
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The actor in question is a fairly well-known Jackie Chan impersonator in Japan, so I think probably 50% of people would recognize him. I assume that with Corona he's getting less work?
ViRGE wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:34 am Was the text on the parental warning card in English for the original Japanese release? Or did the release group repaint it here?
Just a quick cover-up on our side, super easy to do when it's just text on a black background
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:53 am The actor in question is a fairly well-known Jackie Chan impersonator in Japan, so I think probably 50% of people would recognize him. I assume that with Corona he's getting less work?
Oh..... Looks like that's something only Japanese locals or people who are quite familiar with the Japanese media industry would know. Huh... :o :o
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if this really counts as a returns, since more than half the cast is missing. I think someone in Toei just has a thing for Yodonna's actress. Between this and the horror movie at Toei Studio, they're keeping her quite employed

>For being a spin-off of a superhero show, I have to say I'm enjoying the relatively low stakes of this series.

I wish we'd get more of this kind of thing

[*]After finding out earlier this week that Kurantula's suit actor was in fact a suit actress, it's extra noticeable in this episode that Datula is an altogether different suit actor. He's far taller than Kurantula (who was roughly a

That jaw looks really familiar. I'm wondering if it's also Kamio in that roll, since it looks like his jaw from when he was Dr Maki

[*]Was the text on the parental warning card in English for the original Japanese release? Or did the release group repaint it here?

Normally I like preserving the Japanese text when we sub things, but sometimes there's no space to do it otherwise

>Given that she only just learned the first emotion in her quest, I'm thinking this may be a 3 or 4 part series. When is episode 2 due, anyhow?

I think September?
https://www.toei.co.jp/release/bb/1226719_971.html

Oh it's September 12th

>What are the chances of this "Jackie Chan" in this special being the real Jackie Chan?

Pretty low since this guy's whole schtick is that he looks like Jackie Chan. You can google images of him meeting the real guy
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 am >Given that she only just learned the first emotion in her quest, I'm thinking this may be a 3 or 4 part series. When is episode 2 due, anyhow?

I think September?
https://www.toei.co.jp/release/bb/1226719_971.html

Oh it's September 12th
Mid-September?! Awwww.

Most of Toei's multi-part stuff has been weekly. So a month is going to be a rather long wait. And if this is a 3 to 4 part series, that would mean it may not wrap up until November. :shock:

Edit: I'm just reading through the link you posted. An official Yodonna ASMR?! Just when I think I've seen it all, Japan gets weirder
Reubs1
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Reubs1 »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:34 am The guy playing the club host can also really move! Between his use of front, side, and back flips, he was flipping awesome.:lol:
Not sure, but is the club host Zooous from Saber?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah his name is zuo. You can now roll your eyes

Honestly I thought it was his more handsome costar because he didn't have the ridiculous wig. Face blindness is rough
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Five stars from me. Way more sexy that Giga's stuff. The in the mind kiss should be Mizuki's way to do her henshin. Also both actresses more than deserved the spin off.

Maybe the two will be a combined sexy super villain who is always on the run from Jewel who doesn't know the villain is really his girl friend?

Will Mizuki gain weight if Yodonna guzzles ice cream in her body?

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”