Poll: What's your opinion of Kiramager and series discussion thread

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ It was the Kirameking!
60%
☆☆☆☆ Shiny
30%
☆☆☆ Sparkles
10%
☆☆ Dull
No votes
☆ Stagnant
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Poll: What's your opinion of Kiramager and series discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kiramager and series discussion thread

Post by midorininger »

i liked it, nothing seemed stupid or over played every one got equal screen time and it wasnt RED focused either. i feel like the story played out well enough too, to where there werent many plot holes.

i felt the series was creative at times with how they solved their MOTW issues, and when "Eureka-ing" was a broken plot device, and Juuryu did create most of their weapons, it was the team who made the plans work. in fact he even inspired his team, because he was so ordinary compared to them but was able to stand up to them.

Miki from Gekiranger was a welcomed surprise! i know she didnt do much but in my mind she beat Garuza's ass lol

the ending was fairly satisfying,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I love dit too. What a fun series. Sena was great. Wish Sayo and the rest had more to do, although I always loved Tame's reactions to everything. I'd like to think that Jyuuru is on the spectrum and that we're getting a little bit of neural divergent representation

No complaints at all about this one
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Is Sayo's actor the first lady who was both a Super Sentai and a Kamen Rider?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

resop2 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:45 pm Is Sayo's actor the first lady who was both a Super Sentai and a Kamen Rider?
I thought there were others, but as far as a regular on a Rider show who went on to do sentai, maybe not? Koike Yui was a guest on W before being GokaiPink, but that was just one episode...

I tried looking through these and came up with a blank:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Trope_Tok ... _on_Sentai
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Trope_Tok ... amen_Rider
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Usually it's only ever a guest role, not often you get regular roles for returners, let alone a major role.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, usually if they like an actor they'll put them in a spinoff. Like the MagiRangers getting Chou Ninjatai Inazuma

Looks like the current it girl is Momotsuki Nashiko who was in Garo and Kiramager and Welcome to Toei Filming Studio.

It reminds me of Kojima Riria who was in Toqger and Zero: Black Blood. Sometimes they jump franchises, but aren't usually in both Rider and Sentai
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Sayo's character in Ghost, Kanon, got to henshin in one of the movies (I think) so I guess she is the only one who was a Kamen Rider and a Super Sentai?
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

resop2 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am Sayo's character in Ghost, Kanon, got to henshin in one of the movies (I think) so I guess she is the only one who was a Kamen Rider and a Super Sentai?
Bruh...

msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

fartboy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:25 am
resop2 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am Sayo's character in Ghost, Kanon, got to henshin in one of the movies (I think) so I guess she is the only one who was a Kamen Rider and a Super Sentai?
Bruh...

Lady
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Who is that?
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:16 pmWho is that?
Hiroshi Miyauchi...?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I posted my opinion on the last thread but I loved Kiramager so much I'll post again. TOTAL 5/5 FOR ME!!!!! Love how they didn't take this season too seriously until they got close to the finale and then, they kept just enough of the wacky side intact to make it funny. I think my favorite moment is when they took on the Hammer Jamenshi: they knocked it over and *BOING*, IT BOUNCES BACK AND SMACKS THEM!!!!! I literally saw that coming but wasn't expecting it so I LOST IT and literally had to pause the episode so I wouldn't miss anything. They also did a good job with the few long single tracking shots in the middle of the season and it made me think I was watching the church and Poppyland fights from Kingsman only in Japanese with everyone wearing shiny spandex. The one where they had the mecha fight going on IN THE BACKGROUND while everyone else was fighting the foot guys, in particular, was SUPER F*CKING AWESOME and I really need to go back and watch that scene again xD. Really need to find a way to finish Zenkaiger cause it was doing REALLY well IMO when you guys got the email from Japan and had to stop subbing it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

WannaFantaMan wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:36 am I think my favorite moment is when they took on the Hammer Jamenshi: they knocked it over and *BOING*, IT BOUNCES BACK AND SMACKS THEM!!!!! I literally saw that coming but wasn't expecting it so I LOST IT and literally had to pause the episode so I wouldn't miss anything. They also did a good job with the few long single tracking shots in the middle of the season and it made me think I was watching the church and Poppyland fights from Kingsman only in Japanese with everyone wearing shiny spandex. The one where they had the mecha fight going on IN THE BACKGROUND while everyone else was fighting the foot guys, in particular, was SUPER F*CKING AWESOME and I really need to go back and watch that scene again xD. Really need to find a way to finish Zenkaiger cause it was doing REALLY well IMO when you guys got the email from Japan and had to stop subbing it.
I totally forgot about some of those moments. Good times, good imes
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

At this point we're 6 months post-series, so my memories are a hair fuzzy. But I'll offer up my cliff notes on Kiramager.

Overall, this is probably the best Sentai series Toei has produced since Kyouyuuger. Which does not mean it's as good as that series (unfortunately), but it's better than anything else that has come since. And more to the point it's a series that I enjoyed watching, without having to sit through painfully bombastic characters or underbaked writing. (Man, Toei has had a lot of stinkers over the last 7 years) It's not a 5, but it's a very solid 4.

Frankly, I'm surprised the series turned out as well as it did. The actual theme is terrible; shiny stone is not what comes to mind when I think about "cool action shows." Make no mistake: Kiramager succeeds in spite of its theme, not because of it. You could have transported the core cast to virtually any other standard Sentai theme, and it would have been better.

What holds the show together is the cast, and the solid writing behind them. They're all archetypes to some extent, but they're all setup carefully to complement each other, rather than just being a variety grab-bag. Even Jewel, perhaps the weakest of the characters, is still fun to watch, especially after the show got over its first hump of episodes and he transitioned a bit towards being a more mature, less hyper character. Shiguru's faux stoicism is fun to watch. And Sayo, though the character got shortchanged on good focus episodes, was pretty much the perfect supporting player for all of the other characters.

Surprisingly, even the stunt casting with Muryou's actor worked out well. As a supporting character he has just enough presence to help set the scene, but without overshadowing the younger actors. This could have just as easily gone the other way, and he would have ended up being an annoying distraction. (Malibu Shiina, on the other hand, was an annoying distraction. But the less said the better there)

The villains, on the other hand, were a mixed bag at best. The Krunchy/Garuza combo led to a very stale dynamic early on. And Krunchy didn't really get developed enough until towards the end. The saving grace here was Yodonna. Not only does adding a third villain to the group really mix things up, but in this season especially, it underscored the value of a face villain. Yodonna gave the Kiramagers a more dynamic adversary to fight, and provided someone who could carry the emotional weight of the villains' side of the story. Meanwhile, the concept that she was just a face of Yodom was really interesting, however the execution was lacking. Mostly because Yodom ended up being a very traditional, very boring Big Bad who only shows up near the end for no good reason. If Yodom had more of a presence earlier on, I think it would have put that reveal over the top.

Speaking of villains, the mask idea was an interesting one. It's not one I want to see Toei repeating any time soon, but as a one-off it has its charm. The mask-on-a-spandex-dude routine doesn't hit quite the same highs as a well-designed MOTW suit. But to counter that, I feel like there was more thought put into a lot of the Jamens' personalities and their crazy plans, as opposed to a generic "let's terrorize everyone" plot in most Sentais. It also let Toei reuse the giant monster suits (which I'm sure helped to save on the budget). I wish the base bodies had been more distinct; there was an opportunity to pull a Go-Busters here with super-distinct bases and their respective abilities and power levels, and they kind of missed their chance.

The robos were for the most part disappointing. Kirameijin is a 3-part robo with 2 more superfluous bits added on (Pink and Blue), and it shows. Toei then went and dug their own grave here by also making Land Mage an official form, underscoring this aspect. The one exception I'll make here is Smog Joukey. Having a recurring enemy robo that wasn't a fully-standing biped was neat. And King Express turned out well, over-the-top glasses and all.

But what the bulk of the robos lacked in coolness, Toei made up for in action. Big time. Of any single aspect of the show, the action/fight scenes were the strongest part of Kiramager, and taken as a whole, this is the best season of Sentai thus far. The stunties, the cinematographers, the choreographers; everyone delivered their A-game this year. We had handicam hijinks, impressively orchestrated long takes, and of course, that epic combined ground/robo battle in episode 33. There are just so many good fights in this series that are novel in some way or otherwise step out of the usual Toei action mold. The crew did not phone it in here, and I appreciate that.

Otherwise, there's always a little part of me that wonders just what might have been - what would have happened if the show didn't end up losing episodes to the COVID pandemic. But unlike Zero-One, which got cut-down right at is apex, the production stop happened early enough for Kiramager that it was able to recover from the break and the lost episode count. Especially in a half-year where the other half of SHT was poor Saber, I really appreciated Kiramager being in its prime.
Somehow the Kiramager thread/poll is gone. So here it is again. Unless it was never made to begin with?
It was never made to begin with.
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”