KR Saber Special Issue discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

3.8 / 5 stars (10 votes)

Sophia with the cool green sunglasses

Looks like Ren lost his shirt

Monster design for the grasshopper monster is kind of cool. Unique at the very least

Touma and Kento finally a couple?

WTF he fights with farts? Wow this is a really bad first impression. Kamen Rider has found a new low

Like Touma's flower jacket

It's been so long since Saber involved a guest actor story that it feels weird.

What, this trio's promised place is also the same?

Not a fan of the Reiwa version of Narutaki

Were the effects not finished? Why is Mei explaining it instead of showing it?

/me puts his face in his hands anytime Toei tries to make a comedy series

ImageImage

Who had the best face in this episode?

Overall, a pretty decent Saber episode. But that Revice stuff really dragged it down for me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 48 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Two cultural notes that might slip past you:

When Rintarou says "Let's become family", this is actually a pretty common way to propose marriage. It's a little more cute and intimate than just saying "Will you marry me". There's a very popular song often played at weddings with this title. It's a very Rintarou-esque way to propose and frankly as an editor, Mei should've picked up on that right away but apparently she's Miss Can't Take A Hint.

The second point is that Rintarou asks if the onsen has a "family bath". Most onsen have separate male/female bathing areas but the family bath is a) private, usually reserved ahead of time, b) the *only* bath where men and women can bathe together. Rintarou, you dog, you want to see Mei naked!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>When Rintarou says "Let's become family", this is actually a pretty common way to propose marriage.

Yeah, I think we all figured that one out except for Mei

>The second point is that Rintarou asks if the onsen has a "family bath". Most onsen have separate male/female bathing areas but the family bath is a) private, usually reserved ahead of time, b) the *only* bath where men and women can bathe together. Rintarou, you dog, you want to see Mei naked!

Gasp!
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah I figure most people can figure it out by context, just driving in the point that this is not an unusual way to propose, so it's not just that Mei didn't understand, it's that Mei is TERMINALLY dense
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Reika is pyrokinetic. WBK

I still know nothing about what Revice's story is about, so whatever Revi and Vice did made little sense to me

I wonder if those kids are going to be characters in Revice 👀
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Usually I try to be positive about things but Revice left an awful first impression. It feels like Toei took parts of Den-O, W, and OOO and made them all bad. The next year of KR might be rough.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So I was writing up the actor credits for Revice, and I noticed the family is a pretty big cast (what happened to Covid?) Maybe the family will be interesting even if Vice sucks?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:39 am Usually I try to be positive about things but Revice left an awful first impression. It feels like Toei took parts of Den-O, W, and OOO and made them all bad. The next year of KR might be rough.
Next year can't be rough. That was supposed to be this year. It's one bad year, and then Toei is supposed to get back on track. :cry:
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: KR Saber Special Issue discussion thread

Post by Uzur9 »

Vice farting killed it for me. Guess I'm glad to be taking a break from Rider for a while.

Maybe I should've stopped after 01 like I planned....

How about that controversy though (Vice's VA in blackface and whatnot) ?
Last edited by Uzur9 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Uzur9 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:24 pm Maybe I should've stopped after 01 like I planned....
Welcome to the Hiatus Club. We're now offering memberships for what should be an exciting season of not watching bad Kamen Rider. :lol: :oops:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Uzur9 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:24 pm How about that controversy though (Vice's VA in blackface and whatnot) ?
Personally, from the examples I was given, they seem inconsiderate, but not something I'd kill the guy's career over. Not really my judgement call though...

How do you guys feel about it? I'm curious
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:39 pm WTF he fights with farts? Wow this is a really bad first impression. Kamen Rider has found a new low
While probably the first impression for some viewers, "Revice" first appeared in "Saber + Zenkaiger: Superhero Senki" so this wasn't Toei's intention for the first impression.

Doesn't make it better though.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Is it really a controversy when Japan doesn't think it's one? We should dial back on the severity of punishments for every little infraction someone does because they're famous. Charles Barkley once said "We're not role models." and these days, we are treating them as role models which we shouldn't.

Revice's appearance in Saber + Zenkaiger: Superhero Senki shouldn't be the first impression you gage him. Usually those appearances aren't as flesh out as they are in the series proper. He's probably tamer in that movie than he is in this episode.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

at this point I'm just glad the fucking thing is over.

Super Sentai can pull off comedy. KR... not so much. I know I won't be missing much with Revice.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:41 am Is it really a controversy when Japan doesn't think it's one? We should dial back on the severity of punishments for every little infraction someone does because they're famous. Charles Barkley once said "We're not role models." and these days, we are treating them as role models which we shouldn't.
I have a big issue with this thinking and it's mostly that the practice of blackface in Japanese comedy didn't start from a vacuum. It was directly taken from the American blackface minstrel shows. Plus, that's essentially the same kind of opinion as "is it really bad if most people don't think it's bad?", dismissing it if it's not offensive to you. And actually, yeah, to the Black people living in Japan, it is pretty offensive, and there have been calls to cut it out. In 2018 one of the biggest New Year's shows did blackface and there was a big outcry from the foreign community as well as multiple news sites.

And frankly, blackface isn't really a "little infraction", it's a whole gallon of "oh hell no". If he was ignorant of the offensiveness of what he did, I can forgive that, but given that he's fluent in English *and* a rapper himself, it points to him knowing it was wrong and doing it anyway. And yeah, I have a problem with that.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”