Kamen Rider Revice 01 Discussion Thread

All that exists in my heart is cholesterol...

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:36 pm

★★★★★
72%
★★★★
17%
★★★
11%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 18
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kamen Rider Revice 01 Discussion Thread

Post by Lunagel »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Rating for Saber Special Issue: 3.56 / 5 stars (9 votes)

Indiana Jones called, he wants his hat back.
(what language is that anyway)

lol this is the same stage Tametomo did his game competitions on in Kiramager

MARVEL WANTS THEIR OPENING BACK

The house is the same set as the inside of the Ghost house

Okay, some director is definitely fulfilling a childhood dream of putting a shitton of rubber ducks in the huge sento bath (and I totally respect that)

I feel like the scientist here is either loosely based on Tony Stark or the actor is intentionally playing him that way.

Okay, the vaguely spanish look for the villains was intentional, cool. Ohhh, I get it, it's because they're originally from South America. Nice callback!

Ew, who decided on the messaging system background for the transformation? I hope that goes away soon.

Translation note: The catchphrase "waite kitaze" is 沸く (waku) "to be excited/to get excited" but also "to boil/grow hot", commonly used to talk about bathwater. So this can be translated as both "I'm all excited now!" but also "The bath is ready!"

Woah an actual insert song this early? I honestly thought it was the driver singing for a bit.

Is Revice gonna just constantly breaking the fourth wall? I'm... not sure how I feel about that.

Those CGI dinosaur legs... no. Just no.

I really like that the parents are actually still around and the dad seems actually super in love with his wife.

Wow, I actually... liked that? It was a very tight and well-done first episode, with enough characterization and background for the world without getting too bogged down in details. I'm not fond of the color scheme for Revi/Vice, but the suits are streamlined and the henshin device/weapons look modern and non-fiddly. Plus, the henshin belt doesn't scream out long streams of songs. I came in fully prepared to hate this because I was not thrilled with the direction it looked like it was going in the Saber crossover, but honestly? This looks pretty good.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Kamen Rider Revice 01 Discussion Thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

That was alright. I didn't hate it. Vice is basically just Momotaros, and I'm not really sure why the villains are a Mariachi band.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:23 am That was alright. I didn't hate it. Vice is basically just Momotaros, and I'm not really sure why the villains are a Mariachi band.
First stamp/villain whatever was found in South America, hence, Spanish (I assume)
Dellorandsupersentaj
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: zenkaiger and wakusaver
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Dreamy: Rajura
Favorite Actor?: Yume shinjo
Favorite Band: Jo1 and bts
My boom: Taiwanese, japanese, and (south) korean snacks, shows, pop music, and cultures (i like those things from taiwan, japan, and south korea
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal
Location: Chernobyl (JK) i live in poland (jk i dont live in poland im an north American fan of toku)

Post by Dellorandsupersentaj »

I watched this show on the tv asahi live stream
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Dellorandsupersentaj wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:26 am I watched this show on the tv asahi live stream
Good for you, no one cares
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Starting off like Kuuga I see

Wow a helicarrier

What's with random Toei characters and trying to get into the Guinness book of records

What's with this super cop group? How long till fascist group with mad scientist at the helm turns out to be evil? I like the capes and all, but there's no way these are good guys

I like that they kept teh Rider belt in a fancy computer case

It's kind of fun to have an evil cute girl. I hate the dude in the sombrero

Wow the mom actually got hurt. It feels like they always fuck up temptation in children's fiction, but in this case Vice is actually offering something that what's his face wants

Oh no, the devil was lying

Huh, the dubbing of the scientist guy syaing "hey hey hey" is totally wrong

Huh, I don't now about the weird chat thing behind him as he transforms

I like that guys siblings. Hope they get to play a big part to this story

Is there a diagetic reason for why there's 50 on the belt?

That was pretty good! You can tell that Toei was putting a lot of effort into this one. I liked everything about it except the character designs. I think they're terrible and hate how gaudy it is. But everything else, the action, acting, and the characters were spot on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I feel like the scientist here is either loosely based on Tony Stark or the actor is intentionally playing him that way.

He seems like a very special brand of tech bro douche, for sure

>Translation note: The catchphrase "waite kitaze" is 沸く (waku) "to be excited/to get excited" but also "to boil/grow hot", commonly used to talk about bathwater. So this can be translated as both "I'm all excited now!" but also "The bath is ready!"

If I were translating it, I would have put down "I'm seething!" to g et the boiling pun in

>Is Revice gonna just constantly breaking the fourth wall? I'm... not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah, I loved fourth wall breaks as a kid though, so maybe the kids will enjoy it

>I really like that the parents are actually still around and the dad seems actually super in love with his wife.

Isn't that rare?

>Wow, I actually... liked that? It was a very tight and well-done first episode, with enough characterization and background for the world without getting too bogged down in details.

Same
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:23 am That was alright. I didn't hate it. Vice is basically just Momotaros, and I'm not really sure why the villains are a Mariachi band.
LOL
MaxHazard
Infinity

Post by MaxHazard »

wow... his sister is brave enough to fight back deadman's minion .... while other civilians are either hiding or get attacked

I wonder how they fight back deadman back in 1971

Vice is wearing a face mask?

No farting jokes so far from Vice ( Abit too many farting from last episode of Kaman rider Saber), which I hope they dont do that in this series
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Vice is wearing a face mask?

I noticed that too last night. It's a nice reflection of the current times without beating you over the head with it

>No farting jokes so far from Vice ( Abit too many farting from last episode of Kaman rider Saber), which I hope they dont do that in this series

Hallelujah!
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

First and foremost, I am thankful for Revice for finally ending the boyband drama that is Saber lol!

Second, personally, I find this series very entertaining, it was really fun to watch, Vice is pretty much a backstabbing version of Momotaros if went unchecked, then again, he's connected to Ikki like a symbiote that is Venom which makes the duo great.

Third, great start overall, reminds me of Zero One frankly, the henshin sequence alone left a very good impression on me, the two had a really cool camera shot there along with a badass theme, again, really impressive :)

And as far as weird enemies go, Revice is going up against the Japanese Mariachi Trio lol!, at least the girl is cute as hell :)

I give this series a 5 for a stellar start.

....what the hell is up with all of George's hairpins, is he a fan of Akkun from Tokyo Revengers or something, do the other side too lol!
Dellorandsupersentaj
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: zenkaiger and wakusaver
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Dreamy: Rajura
Favorite Actor?: Yume shinjo
Favorite Band: Jo1 and bts
My boom: Taiwanese, japanese, and (south) korean snacks, shows, pop music, and cultures (i like those things from taiwan, japan, and south korea
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal
Location: Chernobyl (JK) i live in poland (jk i dont live in poland im an north American fan of toku)

Post by Dellorandsupersentaj »

I think vice is scared of covid
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

so, I think I know why the transformation sequence used a text chat thing: apparently text chats have big, square pictures that are effectively super emojis, and they're often referred to as "stickers" or, more relevantly here, "stamps". also, unless I was reading what was being said wrong, it was Ikki and Vice talking about Vice having been about to attack his mom and whatnot, so, assuming you're able to actually read it while it's on screen, it lets then have more character stuff done without needing to stop and act out a whole conversation in the middle of the action sequence.

also, jumping on the "predicting an organization will turn out to be evil" twist bandwagon, let's stop and think for a moment:

it's an anniversary season celebrating some number of 10s of years since Kamen Rider came out.
there's an organization researching Kamen Rider stuff.
everyone in it dresses in white.
the organization's name starts with an F and ends with an X.

now that I'm done talking about Foundation X from Fourze, let's discuss FeniX >.>
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That theory is genius, and probably totally correct
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Ohhhh man if that's not correct it'll be a completely wasted opportunity

Problem with the messaging sequence is you really have to pause it to get the full gist of the conversation since it's hard to read when the camera's moving. I have a pretty large tv and I still didn't read like half of the text cause it was a) moving, b) kinda small and c) I was focusing on watching the first henshin!

It's a nice idea in theory but it just ends up being a bonus for people who can pause the video, so not really much added characterization there
afbratt
Number 6
Number 6

Post by afbratt »

yea, for those not aware the guy in the straight Jacket is NJPW wrestler Minoru Suzuki

Return to “Kamen Rider Revice”