Komi Can't Communicate 01 released

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link

Ratings

Poll ended at Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:50 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Komi Can't Communicate 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

So I'm a big fan of the manga. And I really like this series because it's both very funny, but speaks a lot to me and my anxiety as an introvert

That said, the manga is much funnier than this. Maybe it's just the first episode, but it's way more drama than it is jokes. Hopefully that'll change as the series introduces more comedic characters

The guy they got to play Tadano is ooookay, but he's also a 35 year old man playing a high schooler. By the way, all the names are jokes. Tadano Hitohito means "ordinary guy" and Komi Shouko is a play on "Comi Shou/Communication syndrome", etc.

Katai Makoto is my favorite character from the manga, so it pleases me greatly that he's here already in episode 1

One of the things I like about the manga is that it's a bit unhinged from reality. In the manga, everything Komi does amazes and wows people, and no one but Tadano notices that she doesn't speak. We'll see how they adapt that to the drama.

Anyway, this series might not turn out great, but thanks for checking it out. And hopefully you guys will read the manga if this drama has even sparked the least bit of interest in you
Dax
Infinity
Favorite series: Gokai / Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinken / Kabuto
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Avatar by me.

Re: Komi Can't Communicate 01 released

Post by Dax »

Not very familiar with the manga, only seen a few images here or there floating on the internet, but I was always intrigued by it.

I enjoyed this first episode of the drama very much.
Completed
Sentai: From Deka to Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider: From Ryuki to Zi-O
Other: GARO, Cutie Honey, Sh15uya, Tokusatsu GaGaGa
Rider Cure Man
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Favorite Band: Sub-Radio
My boom: Resident Evil
Quote: "Now, Count Your Sins"

Post by Rider Cure Man »

This is a cool surprise

I'm a killer for Live-Action Anime

Totally gonna check it out
''Please return that button to God'' - Keisuke Nago
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I hope people will like it and check out the manga. I just read the manga equivalent of the first couple episodes the other day and it's way funnier. If the drama doesn't do it for you, the manga's much better in my opinion. (Anime is coming to Netflix in October I think?)
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

I honestly know nothing about the manga (I haven't picked one up since Negima, and almost never bother with anime anymore outside of old shows), but it's giving me vibes of Fruits Basket with a hint of Kamen Rider Fourze meets Key: The Metal Idol. Also, from what you're saying, Taka, it sounds like Komi takes after Golden Boy in the manga.

Personally, I think I relate more to Tadano here but I'm absolutely loving all four main characters already. Komi's shyness is just so adorable I want to hug her (I have a major soft spot for shy/awkward girls). Then there's Tadano who constantly second guesses himself, rambles, and covers his nerves with jokes. As for the other two, I connect least with Katai so far. I know plenty of people who try to act tough thinking it'll make them friends and faceplant when their actual personalities could've won people over. I'll have to see what he's really like before I canform an opinion.

The ganguro fascinates me. She actually reminds me of an actress, but I can't put my finger on who... But the character is also very much like one of the main characters in a manga I read probably back in the '90s (wish I could remember the name), especially in the way she's isolated but wants to make friends. Mind you, I'm a little surprised they even included her, since there was a woke push a few years ago to equate ganguro and similar Japanese fashions to Jim Crow-era American racism. While they didn't show much of her yet, I can already tell I'm really going to like her character.

I'm a little concerned that NHK will short this series like they did GandD, though. This is something I'll actually be looking forward to every week and really want to see a full season, hopefully more. It already pretty much has all I could want in a good dorama even though pretty much nothing's happened yet (beyond a bit of introduction and two typos).

Taka, you made a great call here, and I'm already itching to watch more. I'll probably read the manga after the show's over since I usually try to stick to one or the other at first so I don't confuse timelines.

On a side note, where does NHK get these girls? I don't think I've even seen an average looking one, let alone someone unattractive. Are they getting all their female cast from gravure mags or something? And so far, all of their lead actresses act as good as they look. They're making Toei look like a high school talent show!
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I haven't read the golden boy manga, but it's not a harem thing or anything. It's kind of got the Fruit Basket sincerity, but without all the heavy drama. The whole thing is pretty slice of life, but still very funny and wacky in its own way

I think I saw they're getting 8 episodes. Just looking at the cast listing, it looks like a real scaled down version of the manga, so we'll see what we get I guess

Also, Taka = Hawk. Take = Bamboo.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

My bad, I have this habit of typing one-handed while the other's pressing pepakura pieces so the glue sets. Usually I catch when I mix up letters before posting (or catch and correct right after), but I completely missed it this time - twice!

I've never read the Golden Boy manga, but the anime is a classic. Basically, it's about a roaming part-timer named Kintaro who has constant misadventures with beautiful women. The manga is supposedly borderline hentai, while the anime is (mostly) PG. Every episode, he has an encounter with a woman while working and makes a terrible first impression, only to do something that blows their minds and makes them fall for him.

The anime's biggest claim to fame was when someone took scenes from Episode 5 and made them into a music video for Bicycle Race. But yeah, the Golden Boy curse is literally to always make a horrible first impression, then completely floor the person unintentionally later on, generally without any clue that you've done so.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
TheOtakuX
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by TheOtakuX »

Didn't expect this, but excited to see this being translated.
Rider Cure Man
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Favorite Band: Sub-Radio
My boom: Resident Evil
Quote: "Now, Count Your Sins"

Post by Rider Cure Man »

not sure if intentional or not but 15:15 minutes into the episode it says ''I freeze up. I can't talk well, I can't even laugh well or say high. I'm anxious about what will happen''

when high should be hi
''Please return that button to God'' - Keisuke Nago
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Rider Cure Man wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 am not sure if intentional or not but 15:15 minutes into the episode it says ''I freeze up. I can't talk well, I can't even laugh well or say high. I'm anxious about what will happen''

when high should be hi
Thanks. That's a mistake for sure. Will get a v2 out.
cymax
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by cymax »

Not to be that guy, but the torrent for v2 isn't on the tracker.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I encoded it but haven't released it yet
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh. I think I uploaded the v2s, then promptly deleted them instead of the originals. Well that's major fail

Return to “Other Projects”