Rider Finish
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

All Riders Vote

Post by Lunagel »

https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/kamen-rider/ranking/

NHK did a giant poll with half a million votes ranking best show/movie, best Rider, and best music.

Notable highlights: Den-O basically wins with best show, best Rider and top 5 for music. Build is ranked #5 in show but before that the most recent show is OOO.

Best show/movie only showed the top 25 so Wizard/Saber/Ghost are not ranked. Hibiki just barely squeaked in at #24.

The top 10 of best Rider are all titular Riders EXCEPT for #10, KR Grease. Eternal is incredibly popular for a movie Rider, coming in at #17. Genm actually beat Ex-Aid in popularity, #19 to #29. Despite the actor's super popularity right now, Drive is only #30. Saber hits #58, Ghost #69, Wizard #14.

Music is actually a bit surprising, Excite hits #1 followed by Be the One at #2, and Anything Goes at #3. Top ten are all main themes except P.A.R.T.Y ~Universe Festival~ from the Zi-O movie, Time Judged All (banger) and Elements.

Overall I agree with most of the rankings here so I'm rather hopeful that Toei sees this and makes some decisions accordingly as how to approach Rider from hereon. (Not hiring the Ghost/Saber writer again would be a big step forward)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: All Riders Vote

Post by takenoko »

Series/Movies: 33.9% female, 66.1% male replies. 30% 20-29, 24.2% 19 and under, 19% 30-39, 13.5% 40-49, 11.9% 50-59, 1.3% over 60

However, some of the series have the stats for them too. Like

Den-O (1st place): 61% female, 39% male. 26.2% 20-29, 23.8% 19 and under, 18% 40-49

Faiz (7th place): 75% male, 25% female. 37.3 20-29, 19.4% 30-39, 16.7% 50-59. Edgelordy much?

Decade (21st place): 79.1% male, 20.9% female. 28.4% 20-29, 30% 19 and under, 16% 30-39

Fourze (23rd place): 50.9% female, 49.1% male 32.8% 19 and under, 24.7% 20-29, 17.1% 40-49

No stats breakdown for favorite Rider or music though
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I think those viewership stats are very telling on how TOEI can broaden their audience. In both Den-O and Fourze you have a lot of interpersonal relationships and female characters that are a critical part of the team without having to be the focal point. For Den-O, the Imagin provide most of the interpersonal drama, but you have he wise but quiet sister as well as Hina, who turns out to be a more critical part of the story as time goes by. And Fourze, you have thrree girls in the Rider Club who all have their own special roles and aren't simply there for eye candy.

Meanwhile, Faiz had a lot of interpersonal conflict with frequent misunderstandings and a lot of shipping. Between that and the focus on tech, it's no wonder it was popular with boys. There's a LOT of depth to that show that comes out like layers of an onion the more you watch it. Likewise, Decade focused a lot around finding one's place in the world while feeling they don't belong in it and had a lot of more subtle moral dilemmas that younger males (especially teenagers) can relat4e to on a very personal basis.

The musical choices for top three make a lot of sense, although I think I'd personally put Proud of You in first place. Roughly in order, #2-5 for me would likely be: Be the One, Chosen soldier, Anything Goes!, REALxEYEZ. Let's Go! Rider Kick would come in 6th, with the main themes for OOO, Den-O, and Ex-Aid all hitting the Top 10 along with Next Decade. Either Black or Black RX would find their theme rounding out that list at #10 with the other close behind.

I feel Den-O should be in the Top 5 for show (I always found the bubbly Naomi to be a disappointment after Rina's amazing acting in Agito, so that kind of knocls it down a bit in my books). and Top 10 for Rider, but feel a lot of the voters haven't seen the entire franchise or likely grew up when Den-O was a focal point for TOEI marketing. Being a big fan of the Showa Era toku, I kind of feel Ichigo should rightly be the number one rider, partly BECAUSE he doesn't have all the fancy toys and powerups of the Heisei and Reiwa Riders yet can still hold his own against even the best of them.

I will admit, though, I kind of prefer the suit redesigns in The First and The Next to the originals and would love to see Fujioka Hiroshi don the movie suit before he passes on.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Off topic, but Fujioka Hiroshi has got to cameo in Shin Kamen Rider, right?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I don't see why he wouldn't, he's still pretty active on the entertainment scene and trying to jump start his kids' careers
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

He only said he was retiring from playing Hongou, but that's not to say he won't make some sort of appearance. In fact, it wouldn't be an anniversary of Kamen Rider without him. It also would be a good excuse to give his kids some sort of cameo (maybe they're among the families scattered when the monster makes its first appearance).

A part of me's also hoping this will happen because it could lead to one of his kids picking up the mantle and becoming a future Rider or even one of the boys replacing their dad as Hongou (considering he came back from the dead in his last appearance, it would be a good excuse for his next appearance to seem younger physically explained as maybe a form of nanite regeneration).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

He said he was retiring from playing Hongou?
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Anybody like the Bright! our Future song from Kamen Rider The First movie?

Shame that this song didn't make to the ranking list.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I love that song. It's great. Probably one of my favorite Da Pump songs?
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:57 am Top ten are all main themes except P.A.R.T.Y ~Universe Festival~ from the Zi-O movie, Time Judged All (banger) and Elements.
I thought Elements was a main theme?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Oops, I was only thinking of Blade Brave. Only 2 non-theme songs then
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:08 am He said he was retiring from playing Hongou?
His last on-screen appearance (the one where Ichigo comes back from the dead at the end, I think it was a Ghost movie) was touted as being his final appearance as the character, presumably due to a combination of age and appearance, since he's put of a few pounds over the years.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Believe Yourself and Full Force made the list so I'm happy. Still missing Dead or Alive and Kakusei for the best Rider songs though.

Also very happy to see OOO and Faiz do so well since the Western audience tends to underrate those shows. Just a bit puzzled that the Zi-O movie and Heisei Forever made the list despite the best Rider movie being pretty obviously Heisei Generations Final imo. Pretty much the only Rider movie I would call "great".
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Yep, I still have no idea why that many people like Den-O. Feels weird even, like I'm in some kind of Mandela Effect timeline where the show was actually good.

Though I have no complains about it taking the music one. Personally I wouldn't call it the best (would probably nominate fourze, ooo or wizard for that), but it was good. Though I can't think of any season had bad ost.
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

Honestly, the best series OST would have to go to either Kuuga or Amazons. While other shows may have had great OP or end themes, their BGMs and other tracks didn't really stand out. But with both Kuuga and Amazons, the BGMs were eerie and alien. They could give you goosebumps late at night in a dark room and really gave something to those shows that was vaguely Silent Hill in terms of psychological impact. The only other show that had a soundtrack that stood out nearly as much for me was Kiva because of the violins. But the entire second half of the Heisei Era felt like minor variations on a theme with a few stand out tracks and nearly identical battle music when it wasn't an image theme.

Den-O's popularity was mainly because they hit a winning formula after stumbling for a couple seasons. Kabuto is seriously underrated, but the fact that the title Rider is an asshole and you spend most of the show rooting for the Secondary Rider is what made it fall flat for a lot of people (and Westerners couldn't keep up with the heavy wordplays). But Den-O had some humour aimed at both kids and older audiences, a pretty decent mystery (but nowhere near as good as the one in Agito), and a large cast of characters that somehow remained balanced out. I think where it falls flat is the Cho Den-O movies because there was no real lead-in explaining how the title was passed down.

In terms of Heisei, though, I think Den-O stoll makes the Top 10 considering how many garbage shows there were (especially in the Second Phase)... Hibiki (if you even accept it as KR), Drive, Ghost, and Zi-O pretty much scrape the bottom of the barrel. I'm a little torn on what shows would hit 11-16, but Agito remains my favourite Heisei series (note that I'm not counting Amazons, since it was its own thing but it would be Top 5 if I did).

The big problem with Heisei was that they started relying on gimmicks over storytelling. Kuuga and Agito continued Black's theme of having multiple forms, but each form had a purpose and you couldn't just use the newest form and expect a win. Ryuki had some really good themes, but they blew the budget in the first ep and left a lot of loose threads, not to mention the constant flip-flopping of alliances became tedious. Faiz is seriously underrated. Kiva had its ups and downs while Kabuto was an uncut gem that deserves more attention. But you can see the degradation after Agito, which was a tribute to the three types of Rider. Starting with Ryuki, they kept equating more Riders to more toys but that also meant less character depth. They fixed this in Den-O briefly.

Decade was again underrated, but mainly because the Nine World Riders were so out of character. This could be explained by simply statingthat the Nine Worlds were part of Decade's own reality and not the actual Rider worlds from the franchise, but they never state this on-screen (it IS vaguely implied in the finale, though). W started fresh and did a great job, but instead of a dozen Riders, you had dozens of forms. OOO took that even further to the point you practically had a new form every week AND the can gimmick. In fact, I dare anyone to find a second phase Heisei show that wasn't bogged down by some gimmick. Gaim and Wizard managed to tone down the gimmicks, but I don't think any Heisei II Rider could survive without their gimmick - unlike the Showa Riders who only had one gimmick Rider (Riderman) and two multiform Riders (Black/Black RX) and still decimate enemies to this day.

But this is becoming a rant (might be good for its own thread at some point though on the effect of multiple Riders and/or gimmicks on the quality of Kamen Rider and which shows do them best/worst). So I'll just end by saying a lot of the shows that topped this Japanese list I have to disagree with and others I fully agree with. Den-O is definitely overrated but still pretty good (if you count just the main series and its direct movies). But others like Faiz need to be revisited by anyone who thinks it was bad.

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”