Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 01 discussion thread

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 01 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

It's neat to see Kikawada act now. His speaking is definitely a lot more clear than it was 20 years ago

Oh, is that a Sailor Moon reference?

Seeing Melto imitate Master Blue makes me wish the masters lasted longer in the show

Is Ryusoul Blue always that light colored?

Yay Bamba is here.

Wait, the Ryusoul Village is near Mt. Fuji?

I know it's peace times, but shouldn't these warriors be more wary of random strangers like Hana?

What was that musical interlude between Mayu and Master Blue? So random

Huh, gotta admit, I was way more invested in this than I thought I would be. A) It's Ryusoulger B) It's 15 minutes. But the Masters and their relationship with both their students and these three randos was actually fun and interesting? Like where the fuck was this writing for the main TV series lol?

It helps that this is a mystery where all three of the new characters are genuine suspects. Isuka is rude and power hungry. Mayu is smart, but acts kind of shady sometimes, and she knows about Isuka's move too. And I don't know what's going on with Hana, but she's up to something as well. Yeah, it's short, but not a moment feels wasted. Probably one of the better Ryusoul stories in my opinion
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Re: Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 01 discussion thread

Post by vasyear »

what's this a new episode, film?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's a 15 minute special that streamed on Toei's streaming service TTFC
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

I haven't watched it yet but when this was announced, I was under the impression that it was a one-off thing; I didn't realise that this is just part 1. Do we know how many of these there are supposed to be?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I wanna say 2? TTFC usually only does 2 when they're spaced a month apart. Could be 3, doubt 4
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Wow! Just wow! I can't believe that is is actually a part of Ryusoulger! Why couldn't the season be so good again? This had such a serious story and yet retained the comedy that Ryusoulger had, and it worked great! I Kinda wish it was longer.

Has anyone else noticed that Towa sounds more mature than in the show? He used to be more energetic and peppy as well even before he officialy joined Koh and the others, iirc.

This one has too much of Melto (not that I mind seeing more of him) and zero Asuna, why is that? Nice touch explaining the blue hair color though.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm Seeing Melto imitate Master Blue makes me wish the masters lasted longer in the show
They would've made such great supporting characters..... And the series a little more interesting. Almost makes me wish the masters were the central Ryusoulgers in the series. Also, why don't the masters have actual names, and are just called "Master [insert color name]"? That's annoying.....
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm Is Ryusoul Blue always that light colored?
I felt that the whole scenery of this special was different... Also the fight sequence took place alternating between areas in the shadow and in the sunlight, so that could also be a reason why the color looked different.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm What was that musical interlude between Mayu and Master Blue? So random
Suuuuuuuuuuper confusing and weird....... :?: :?:
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm It helps that this is a mystery where all three of the new characters are genuine suspects. Isuka is rude and power hungry. Mayu is smart, but acts kind of shady sometimes, and she knows about Isuka's move too. And I don't know what's going on with Hana, but she's up to something as well. Yeah, it's short, but not a moment feels wasted. Probably one of the better Ryusoul stories in my opinion
Mayu acted shady? I didn't feel that way.... It was also interesting to learn that there was a female candidate for the blue Ryusoulger. Looking forward to the next one. When does the next one come out anyway?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

The one that I saw translated had terrible encoding it super jittery was like someone messed with the FPS. Also after they talked about Mayu leaving, a subtitle line didn't kick in for quite a few seconds. This scene is also good for seeing the FPS issues.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like whoever released that put out a v2 that fixes those problems
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Is this the first time Melto's blue hair has been explained?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 am Looks like whoever released that put out a v2 that fixes those problems
Such good people. :D
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

msf232 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:57 am Is this the first time Melto's blue hair has been explained?
I wanna say yes? I can't remember an in-show explanation, and the "blue hair is bad luck" is so dumb I'm pretty sure I'd remember that
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'm pretty sure I complained about how random the blue hair thing was during the show. Ironic that it takes good writing from a different writer after the story ends for Ryusoulgers to have character-development, eh?
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:12 am I wanna say yes? I can't remember an in-show explanation, and the "blue hair is bad luck" is so dumb I'm pretty sure I'd remember that
Funniest part, the myth was actually true for Melto too. Didn't he usually have bad luck, iirc?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

No more so than any other member, I thought? If that's what they were going for, it wasn't very obvious
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I must admit I'm still a bit confused about why this even exists. Like, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth - especially in the middle of the slog that is Zenkaiger - but it's a spin-off movie for a show two Sentais ago. It's weird enough when the VS/Returns movies land almost a year after a series ends, but this is really pushing things. I feel like a spin-off like this would have garnered more attention if it came out sooner.

In any case, I'm with Takenoko here. I'm rather surprised by how good it is. Given Ryusoulger's legacy, I wasn't expecting anything special here - maybe something middle of the road in terms of quality. Instead this spin-off has writing that, in 15 minutes, rivals the best of what Ryusoulger accomplished during its original run. This despite the fact that it has to sort of re-introduce the masters and introduce 3 new supporting characters at the same time.

I never watched PGSM, so I'm not particularly familiar with the actors for the masters. But I appreciate that they're more grounded than the Ryusoulger crew. They're not deadly serious (thank god), but the humor is also a lighter touch. Ryusoulger never could figure out if it was serious or was a comedy, and often swung between the two in a somewhat manic fashion. This spin-off, on the other hand, strikes a good balance in its tone - arguably the balance Ryusoulger should have strived for in the first place. Though I suppose it's easier to write a story like this when you aren't also being pressured to sell toys.

Surprisingly, there's very little action here. The opening fight and the Minosaur fight are both very quick without much in the way of complex choreography. So this episode is carried almost entirely by exposition and small character moments that help to establish/reinforce the characters. For a Sentai spin-off it's surprisingly effective, and underscores just how solid the writing is. In 15 minutes we get everything needed to setup this fun little mystery and define the characters int he process.

This spin-off also ends up turning the tables on Ryusoulger's sausage-fest casting. While of the three masters, only Pink is a woman, all three of the secondary characters are also women. So right now the majority of the characters in the story are women, by a 4-to-2 count.

Anyhow, I rather enjoyed this. So I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep up this quality in the remaining two episodes.:)

Oh, and my money is on Blue being the master mind. She probably put the other two up to this. Never trust the smart one! :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm Seeing Melto imitate Master Blue makes me wish the masters lasted longer in the show
You and me both. For casting such high profile actors and making such a big deal of them, we saw surprisingly little of them. It was one of several areas where Ryusoulger struggled to execute on its ideas (along with the Elder).
Yay Bamba is here.
I'm genuinely surprised they managed to score cameos for 4 of the 5 series regulars in this spin-off. And even though it's just a cameo, I'll take all the Bamba I can get! :lol:
I know it's peace times, but shouldn't these warriors be more wary of random strangers like Hana?
Maybe they're just hoping she'll go away? There's still time to address it in the next episode, but I do agree it's one of the only weaknesses in the plot thus far.
What was that musical interlude between Mayu and Master Blue? So random
Surely that's some kind of meta gag ala the Sailor Moon reference, right? Has Mayu's actress been in anything else of note?
Lunagel wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:30 am I wanna say 2? TTFC usually only does 2 when they're spaced a month apart. Could be 3, doubt 4
Checking Toei's site, this is a 3-part series. Episode 2 is out November 21st, and a release date for the final episode has yet to be announced (though it's almost certainly mid-to-late December).
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:29 am
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:02 pm Is Ryusoul Blue always that light colored?
I felt that the whole scenery of this special was different... Also the fight sequence took place alternating between areas in the shadow and in the sunlight, so that could also be a reason why the color looked different.
The color grading is also vastly different from the Super Sentai norm. Typically SS is graded to be very saturated; this series is using something relatively duller, which makes intense colors look a bit off.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”