DonBrothers 01 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:05 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
13%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 01 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

[19:09] <@takenoko> 21 years ago, so 2001?
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> hey that guy
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> i recognize him
[19:09] <@takenoko> me too
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> free babby
[19:09] <@takenoko> the filter on this to make itlook old is kind of crummy
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> heh yeha
[19:09] <@takenoko> was the box a peach?
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah
[19:09] <@takenoko> everyone shades on
[19:09] <@takenoko> go busters?
[19:09] <|discord|1> <Triple M> 90's house music
[19:10] <|discord|1> <Triple M> i was just gonna say
[19:10] <|discord|1> <Triple M> go busters shades throw
[19:10] <@takenoko> oh it's a room of all tvs
[19:10] <@takenoko> that's rad
[19:10] <|discord|1> <Triple M> this is relaly cool
[19:10] <|discord|1> <Triple M> i lik ethis OP a lot
[19:10] <@takenoko> I like the weird looking villains
[19:10] <@takenoko> you don't need to pay for monster suits if they're weird looking to start
[19:11] <|discord|1> <Triple M> go see zenkaiger at theater g rosso
[19:11] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol that kid
[19:11] <|discord|1> <Triple M> mickey don don's
[19:11] <|discord|1> <Triple M> poke meal
[19:11] <@takenoko> hold up your local mcdonalds to get their dog tag
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol that tent
[19:12] <@takenoko> is theirs unglasses a transformation device again?
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> i'm not sure how they transform yet
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> those choco are good
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> luna sent me one
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> doraemon
[19:12] <@takenoko> what the dinosaur ones?
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah
[19:12] <@takenoko> I've never tried it
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> they're cool
[19:12] <|discord|1> <Triple M> i like the break apart puzzle gimmick
[19:13] <~DaVinci030> she's a mangaka?
[19:13] <@takenoko> let's all read a manga by a high school girl
[19:13] <@takenoko> here comes kamen rider to save the day
[19:14] <~DaVinci030> at first he was ryusoul changing.
[19:14] <@takenoko> lol cool
[19:14] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol rad
[19:14] <|discord|1> <Triple M> nice moves
[19:14] <@takenoko> wait who is this guy? is he a villain?
[19:15] <@takenoko> no
[19:15] <@takenoko> chalk scratching is the worst
[19:15] <|discord|1> <Triple M> heh
[19:16] <@takenoko> let's morphin
[19:16] <|discord|1> <Triple M> ^
[19:16] <@takenoko> it lives???
[19:16] <|discord|1> <Triple M> they live
[19:16] <@takenoko> they do too?
[19:16] <@takenoko> hahaha
[19:16] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol it's exactly like it
[19:16] <|discord|1> <Triple M> hahahahhahhahahahhaa
[19:16] <~DaVinci030> what!!!!
[19:16] <@takenoko> ugh, isn't that the zenkaiger shop
[19:16] <~DaVinci030> that's what i thought!
[19:17] <~DaVinci030> i guess it changes!
[19:17] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol this is great
[19:17] <@takenoko> wow totally stealing it all
[19:17] <@takenoko> I guess don't do it halfway if you're going to steal from something
[19:17] <@takenoko> jump block
[19:18] <@takenoko> ooh, fun camera work
[19:18] <~DaVinci030> yeah but i have to admit, drone shot quality is bad.
[19:19] <|discord|1> <Triple M> super sentai choco
[19:20] <@takenoko> this is pretty good so far. there putting in effort at least in the first ep
[19:20] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol crazy
[19:20] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah i agree
[19:21] <@takenoko> more anniversary nonsense
[19:22] <@takenoko> this guy looks anorexic
[19:23] <|discord|1> <Triple M> uh oh
[19:23] <|discord|1> <Triple M> she stole the layouts?
[19:23] <@takenoko> accused of plagerizing
[19:23] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah boo
[19:23] <|discord|1> <Triple M> heh cool
[19:23] <@takenoko> that's what happens when you fuck with the stablishment
[19:23] <@takenoko> they destroy your reputation
[19:24] <|discord|1> <Triple M> man who is that guy
[19:24] <@takenoko> baby man is now a prisoner
[19:24] <@takenoko> lol that paddle
[19:24] <|discord|1> <Triple M> hahahaahah this is awesome
[19:26] <@takenoko> hahaha
[19:26] <@takenoko> maybe inoue's got his groove back
[19:27] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol
[19:28] <|discord|1> <Triple M> haha
[19:28] <~DaVinci030> is that either a gopro or a drone shot of yoshioka got defeated?
[19:28] <@takenoko> stretch those bones
[19:29] <@takenoko> group fight shops are going to be a pain in the ass to shoot this year
[19:29] <~DaVinci030> oh well. CGI w/o shadows.
[19:29] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol
[19:29] <|discord|1> <Triple M> that cgi looks awful
[19:29] <~DaVinci030> ^^^^
[19:29] <@takenoko> well toei
[19:30] <~DaVinci030> (toei should have use the unreal engine.)
[19:30] <~DaVinci030> don't tell me it's another decade/gokaiger?
[19:31] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah it is
[19:31] <@takenoko> got to make up for the failure of an anniversary that zenkaiger was
[19:31] <|discord|1> <Triple M> isn't this a direct sequel to zenkaiger
[19:31] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeha
[19:31] <@takenoko> lol sunglassess sword?
[19:32] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol i love all this techno stuff
[19:32] <@takenoko> yeah what is it? vr? tron stuff?
[19:32] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah
[19:32] <|discord|1> <Triple M> totally
[19:32] <|discord|1> <Triple M> original gridman stuff
[19:32] <@takenoko> zenkaiger shit appears out of nowhere
[19:35] <@takenoko> oh okay, the tech world is overlayed on the real world
[19:35] <|discord|1> <Triple M> lol arf arf taro
[19:36] <|discord|1> <Triple M> that was a very good first episode
[19:36] <|discord|1> <Triple M> the style isn't for me at all but i really enjoyed that
[19:36] <|discord|1> <Triple M> there's the crew
[19:36] <@takenoko> yeah that was a good time
[19:36] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah
[19:36] <@takenoko> what'd you think davinci?
[19:37] <~DaVinci030> yeah. that was a good episode.
[19:37] <@takenoko> it's interesting that the girl is the main focus
[19:37] <~DaVinci030> ^^^^
[19:37] <|discord|1> <Triple M> yeah i liked that
[19:37] <@takenoko> I wonder if inoue will go for some dark twist later
[19:37] <@takenoko> ep 1: one death so far
[19:38] <@takenoko> wait, why did the blue guy kill that monster, then create one?
[20:35] <~takenoko> isn't mistaken identities a inoue trope? I feel like it happens in agito and faiz and kiva
[20:41] <~takenoko> https://pleuvoire.tumblr.com/post/677936713791881216
[20:41] <~takenoko> oh that's onisister's suit actress's dog

https://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/67794 ... -psycho-is
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Re: DonBrothers 01 discussion thread

Post by Sinkuu »

I like how they haven't just dumped it all in our laps. I like the differences in premise, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

good start, as said above!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Why is DonBrothers took the plot of They Live? I just want Roddy Piper come back from the dead so he can say "I kick ass and chew bubble gum!"

Also does the mecha combination going to need Zyuran to combine? Can't wait when the MOTW grows giant and just have the motorcycle to fight it because Alternate Zenkaiser isn't around to summon Zyuran.

It definitely has some questions around it for sure. I'm pretty sure they will cover how Pink Guy got into this mess.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I really enjoyed that. I was not expecting episode 1 to be a Yellow focus episode. She got her first fight before the others even appeared!

When Taro wrote that note for the shut in guy, they played the Shinkenger brush sound.

After a disappointing year with Zenkaiger, I have reasonably high hopes now, and I'm actually excited for the next episode.

Also, anyone else getting Jungle Fury vibes from those sunglasses?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:05 pm Also, anyone else getting Jungle Fury vibes from those sunglasses?
yeah, but the sunglasses thing was done in Go-Busters, too... which was caught in take's post.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Great first episode. I can see the potential in this season. The stakes are high.... Hopefully they make it to the end properly...

Is that an inter-dimensional rift? This means Taro is from another universe, right? And why is that capsule made of plastic? I think, the Momotaro capsule in Boukenger looked better than this one....

Wow, 41 secs into the first episode and they already play the opening theme? Ok....

The CGI background for the main portion of the dance is soooo bad..... Yikes....

I like that they used a lot of creativity in making the opening sequence in a different and new format. How they present the Rangers with interesting and different backgrounds is really cool to me.

The last shot of the opening sequence where the Rangers' have such serious and dark expressions on their faces is so new to Sentai.... I don't remember seeing something like that in recent seasons, except for Lupin vs Pat maybe....

Haruka is a bit arrogant here, no? I get that you get to be proud to win a manga award at this age, but she's getting a little ahead of herself.

The hitotsuki monster designs look so familiar to me... Have they used a similar design in any previous Toei tokusatsu show? I can't point out where I've seen that design before....

Dang! That motorcycle debut.... When did we last have a motorcycle scene in Sentai?

They use a lot of refined and poetic language in this one, wow.... First Sonoi and then Tarou...

How come the villain general appears and transforms even before the Rangers? That's new....

My guess is that her manga, "Hatsukoi Hero" is probably based on her relationship with her boyfriend. How the guy comes in and saves the damsel in distress and whatever....  Hatsukoi Hero is available to read on TTFC, I heard. Was "Good Three" (the manga by LupinYellow's best friend) also released on TTFC?

Why is Yoshioka hammering a nail into his paddle ...? I find no logic behind doing it... It'd be one thing to break the table tennis paddle out of anger, but this.... I don't get at all....

Another first for Sentai in recent years- the humans are directly transforming into monsters... This is different from the minusaur case in Ryusoulger. In Ryusoulger, they didn't share the same body, even if the minusaur was actually born from a human only when they consumed Kleon's slime.... But here, a corrupt human is deliberately choosing darkness and transforming into monsters on their own.... That is definitely new to me for Sentai...

Wow, Cafe Colorful sure got an incredible makeover... Looks like a place where adults would visit.... Very chic...

The design of the sunglasses is pretty interesting. It has horn-like shapes on them as a nice touch for Oni Sister....

Dang, that angle from where Kaito is sitting.... Very clever.... We can see that someone is looking this way, but we don't know who it is until afterwards...

Haruka isn't really good in handling any expression other than smiling and grinning.... Her surprised/confused expression here isn't very good.... I expected a more intense reaction in this scene...🙁😕

My guess is that Kaito probably has something to do with Haruka receiving those glasses...

Lol, why are there so many random stairways in mid-air leading to different doors.... How will anyone even reach up there?

How did the policeman know so fast that Haruka can see his true form? A little too fast I think...

Cool, the doors teleport you to different and distant places....

Again, the Anōni's reactions are too quick... Also, how and why are there so many Anōnis living in the Donbrothers world disguising themselves as humans?

Automatic transformation, another new thing in Sentai..... Loving it ....

And finally in comes our protagonist.... After 8 minutes of the episode is over....

Did he just enter his house without permission? Are they allowed to do that as deliverymen....?

That depressed dude's reaction is nice, I'd also throw a book at a blabbering delivery man....

Tarou is fast... He cleaned that whole room within 5-10 seceonds.... And he even motivated that guy with just a hand written sign.... What kind of special powers do you have, Tarou?

And Haruka's manga got cancelled.... That's the result of being over confident.... And just to confirm, her manga got cancelled only because she was suspected of plagiarism.... Not because she chose to fight or anything, right? Just normal human stuff that doesn't have anything to do with balancing out her life as a hero or warrior.... This probably could've happened even if she didn't have to start fighting as a hero.... Right?

Well, well... Haruka's knight in shining armor turned out to be a mother complex.... Great....

Why is she blaming the sunglasses? How can a pair of glasses cause her to lose her manga and friends?

Jin's prison looks interesting.... How does he live, though? Like eating or using the bathroom and stuff... Lol.... 😝😝 That scene is executed really well, though. A mysterious man in a hoodie approaches Haruka after the glasses attach to her and teleport her to a mysterious virtual world....

Shouldn't she be more suspicious of this whole situation, though? Like who is Jin, why and how did she end up in this place? If Jin was the one who summoned her to this place or not...

That sure is a one of a kind paddle....😑😐🙁😕

A table tennis match at a canteen using lunch trays... Very amusing...

She trusted Jin, just like that.... Ok....

Lucky her, she said his name and he appeared.... Except she wasn't smart enough to look up and search for him in the right place.... Or read his freaking name tag....

How presumptuous of Haruka to think that Sonoi is Tarou.... Oh well....

Wow, Yoshioka keeps picking up bizarre things to use as his table tennis paddle.... Lol...

Automatic transformation and teleportation... I am loving this already!!!!

Without even confirming who he is, she just kneels before Sonoi and pledges loyalty to him.... She totally deserved that kick.... The one who has lost to their greed- is Sonoi talking about Haruka?

Sonoi sure is strong... What are the Anōnis doing with that pose? At 15:00....

The CGI for the water waves are so bad....

The transformation sequence is pretty good... They've improved it from the previous seasons... Am I the only one who thinks that this transformation sequence is longer than previous ones?

Hey, that upper body shot of Kiji Brother looks like they used an actual body suit for it... At timestamp 16:01 and 16:17-16:19. And again at 17:13....

Ok, Tarou's monologue actually made me laugh...  I like how different his personalities are before and after transformation....

Seriously, she bumps into Tarou twice and fails to recognize him both times? What makes her think that Tarou can't be crazy, insane and weird? She keeps presuming other randos to be Tarou, then why not the actual Tarou?

The Enya Rideon looks cool for the most bit....

The Nōto can transform people into Hitotsuki against their will too, huh? Interesting.... Does that mean they can manipulate Sentai Gear powers or posses the Sentai gears and use them to turn people into Hitotsuki? This part is interesting too...

I was just plain impressed after seeing Don Momotaro Avatar Change into Zenkaizer for the first time (the red one)... Looks like Donbrothers might become the season Zenkaiger never was.... A Gokaiger 2.0?

Tsuyoshi's dialogues are amusing, lol...

These virtual trampoline thingies are pretty nice...

18:53- the KijiBrother's CGI looks very bad.... 😶😐😑

The mech fight setup is nice too. How a barrier appears around the monsters and they grow, and then a separate virtual is created from the real universe and they go into that realm to fight is really interesting....

And here comes our Zenkaizer black, lurking in the background with his mysterious activities.... And pulling the strings secretly....

Don Momotaro's entrance into the mech battle scene was great too .....

Did Kaito say the line, "Don Zenkai Gattai"? That totally sounded like his voice....

Did Zyuran lose his sentience or something here? Why is he just a non-talking mech here?

No one questions anything in the Donbrothers world, huh? No one is asking any questions about the mysterious things that are going on? Like where did Zyuran suddenly come from?

A Sentai Gear came out of the destroyed Hitotsuki.... Does this mean that Hitotsuki are created from Sentai gears, like how the worlds in Zenkaiger were created from Tojirugears?
And is Kaito's main job in this season to collect Sentai gears from Hitotsuki? Because apparently he doesn't seem to possess all of the Sentai gears....

She asked whether the two are her comrades, but she still didn't ask if one of them are Momoi Tarou.... Sigh

More auto teleportation... Love it! So many cool things going for it....

Looks like Haruka is our narrator this season.... Cool. She does this job well enough....

Another CGI ranger debuts next episode. I'm excited for next week too!

Enjoyed this episode a lot. Hopefully I enjoy the rest of them too.

Yellow's acting isn't great... The older actors' acting, (like red's, pink's and Sonoi' acting) in comparison was better than hers. I understand, though. Here's to hoping the acting improves over the course of the season.

The CGI is good for the most bit so far... Although my reaction about the CGI is mostly mixed.

The story pacing is a bit faster than usual. We got quite a lot of information to process in a small time in this episode. I wish we could actually see Yellow feel bad about her losses. I thought that part was a little too fast...

Only the red, yellow and pink ranger were introduced in the first episode... I like it that they didn't bring them all together in the first episode... They should follow this format in future series..
Sinkuu wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:15 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:05 pm Also, anyone else getting Jungle Fury vibes from those sunglasses?
yeah, but the sunglasses thing was done in Go-Busters, too... which was caught in take's post.
Totally felt the Jungle Fury- vibes. And of course, it also gives me Go-Busters vibes in more than one way. A Go-Busters reboot on the 10th anniversary of Go-Busters maybe? Lol. :D 8)
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I feel like this series was what we were supposed to get for the 45th sentai instead of Zenkaiger.

It's helluva alot more entertaining than Zenkaiger was. I'm really confused as to why the need to animate pink and black but whatever.

nice male pink. Coulda been worse. Coulda been the stereo typical overhyper flaymboint dude.

It feels like Persona 5 the Sentai which i'm all for.

I'm actually looking forward to this.

i guess the Zenkaiger toys didn't sell well so we get to use the leftover for power ups this season.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I have to go middle of the road on this one. This show pulls from a WIDE range of material outside of Super Sentai, which makes it feel like a little treasure hunt. The opening is very much inspired by The Hero Yoshihiko, for example. And the ability to see mooks under specific circumstances reminds me of Goraigan. And the whole "goofy deliveryman" makes me think back to KR Gaim and the infamous scene of Gaim trying to fit on the delivery bike. The virtual battleground feels a lot like the more basic one used in Megaranger (and hopefully will only be used about as long). And following Haruka around as she's dealing with virtual enemies that can manifest in the real world is pretty much the entire plot of the original Akiballion.

I really enjoyed following Haruka around, which felt kind of like a Giga episode done right. The way she got along with her classmates was very much Fourze with a hint of Fruits Basket. I could go on and on. But instead, I'll pause the series connections and just give a bullet list of what I liked and disliked:

Following Haruka through her crazy adventures was fun. I like the character and the fact that she didn't have to be on her period for everything to turn into an acid trip.
The baddies seem a lot more fun, and I love how we have mooks that look as though the ones from last season had a bad run-in with an everlasting gobstopper.
Out first male Pink actually makes sense and isn't based on political motivations... although the CGI is a bit off-putting (but no more clunky than the cast of Zenkaiger).

Dislikes:
The CGI kaiju battle (WAY too overdone), although I can deal with the CGI "augmented world".
The gear and mecha combine themes are continuing from last year.

It's way too early to get a good feel for this series, and I'm holding out judgement until they explain how this organically ties into Zenkaiger, because the things I loved about that series are absent, but the things I never liked ahave been carried over. Still, I've seen far worse first episodes, and the perspective really has me curious to see where they're going next.

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:48 pm The CGI background for the main portion of the dance is soooo bad..... Yikes....
If you've ever seen The Hero Yoshihiko, the opening sequence is supposed to invoke the impression of animated ukiyo-e. It's not quite as fun in this opening, however, as they also tried to animate the floor (and no Buddha shining down on our heroes).

Haruka is a bit arrogant here, no? I get that you get to be proud to win a manga award at this age, but she's getting a little ahead of herself.
The way the class was playign along suggests this was actually friendly banter, while her reaction in the cab gave me an impression of "I did a thing and now it's like Groundhog day where everyone just asks the same things and nobody bothers to ask me something that shows they even care"... which is one of the great illusion breakers for a lot of people who get overnight stardom from something they did out of love.
Why is Yoshioka hammering a nail into his paddle ...? I find no logic behind doing it... It'd be one thing to break the table tennis paddle out of anger, but this.... I don't get at all....
It's a slightly comedic take on the concept of putting nails into a club or baseball bat to do more damage. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't also inspired by hoodoo dolls, only here the possessed individual is driving nails into the object of their obsession which symbolizes the way they've become bound to their obsession. Links and bonds already seem to be a planned theme in this series.
Another first for Sentai in recent years- the humans are directly transforming into monsters... This is different from the minusaur case in Ryusoulger. In Ryusoulger, they didn't share the same body, even if the minusaur was actually born from a human only when they consumed Kleon's slime.... But here, a corrupt human is deliberately choosing darkness and transforming into monsters on their own.... That is definitely new to me for Sentai...
It's been done before, but usually in relation to the generals. I seem to recall it was done at least once for the MotWs in Super Sentai, but can't think of which series offhand. I know it's a very common thing in Kamen Rider, going all the way back to the Showa Era but is less common in Super Sentai where it would make the most sense.
How did the policeman know so fast that Haruka can see his true form? A little too fast I think...
~~~
Again, the Anōni's reactions are too quick... Also, how and why are there so many Anōnis living in the Donbrothers world disguising themselves as humans?
This is actually nothing new in tokusatsu. Ultraman had aliens living among humans throughout the Showa Era, and not just those of the Ultra race. Goraigan is another good example. Hell, they've even done it before in Super Sentai. The idea is that the aliens who wish to live peacefully (or not) on Earth disguise themselves as himans. Many even fall in love and live out their lives with nobody ever catching on.
And Haruka's manga got cancelled.... That's the result of being over confident.... And just to confirm, her manga got cancelled only because she was suspected of plagiarism.... Not because she chose to fight or anything, right? Just normal human stuff that doesn't have anything to do with balancing out her life as a hero or warrior.... This probably could've happened even if she didn't have to start fighting as a hero.... Right?
This is another common trope in toku that you rarely see in Super Sentai. Basically, once a chosen hero is discovered, their lives fall apart so they have no attachments. In many cases, the baddies cause this sudden loss, but it can also be caused by the mentor or powers of the chosen hero. In this case, she outed herself to the mooks inadvertently, so they created a duplicate of her manga and engineered her bad fortune.
Why is she blaming the sunglasses? How can a pair of glasses cause her to lose her manga and friends?
When you're on top of the world and it all comes crashing down the moment you come into contact with an object, it's easy to blame that object or believe it's cursed. She wouldn't have thought the same way had she gotten the glasses a few hours or even days before strange things started happening.

The mech fight setup is nice too. How a barrier appears around the monsters and they grow, and then a separate virtual is created from the real universe and they go into that realm to fight is really interesting....
It feels like a waste to have a virtual battleground where damage to the props results in damage to the real world but in a ways that looks fake. I mean, the apartment complex that was knocked over in the virtual world as a twin stack of blocks fell apart in the real world as a twin set of blocks with no attempt to even suggest the building had an interior. Had it been a separate plane like in Nexus, Megaranger, or Goraigan, I would've been fine with it, but the way they've executed it just feels like pointless eye-bleed. Hopefully they'll fix that as the show continues.
A Sentai Gear came out of the destroyed Hitotsuki.... Does this mean that Hitotsuki are created from Sentai gears, like how the worlds in Zenkaiger were created from Tojirugears?
And is Kaito's main job in this season to collect Sentai gears from Hitotsuki? Because apparently he doesn't seem to possess all of the Sentai gears....
I'm really curious to see how the gear thing plays out. I mean, Colorful has been replaced and we see a few characters from Zenkaiger appearing, but it really does feel like a different but parallel world. Could Kaito's parents have visited this world at some point? Although it seems more likely the sentai gear tech had ended up on a different parallel world and came through to the DonBrothers world in the peach cradle. Obviously, some knowledge of that world has to be known to create the 46th Sentai Gear that Kaito used. Also, the baddies seem to be using the sentai tech, not the Tojitendo tech, so could they have gotten this when the sentai gears were damaged in the final Zenkaiger battle?

My personal theory is that the DonBrothers world was the latest of the Kami's creations, based around the gear tech that had been keeping him so entertained. If this is the case, it could explain how Kaito's father was able to create the red 46 gear, as well as how the sentai were miraculously granted red gears when their own gears were damaged. And since the Kami had a special interest in Kaito, it would make sense for versions of Kaito and Zyuran to appear in this new world.
Yellow's acting isn't great... The older actors' acting, (like red's, pink's and Sonoi' acting) in comparison was better than hers. I understand, though. Here's to hoping the acting improves over the course of the season.
Shida Kohaku seems to be a fresh pick. I haven't really found anything on her history out there (haven't checked the less reliable sites like rangerwiki). And strangely enough, she not only appears to be a fresh face, but she's the first female lead in recent TOEI history who hasn't done gravure. And since I haven't even found info on an agency, I think it'[s safe to say she got the role at a random audition and has zero experience in front of a camera.

That said, she does a really good job for a fresh face, and supposedly one of her hopes (according to interviews) is that this role allows her to get into dorama. I expect as the show hits its stride, she'll become more comfortable in front of the camera and we'll see her acting improve accordingly.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Ashki wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:51 pm The way the class was playign along suggests this was actually friendly banter, while her reaction in the cab gave me an impression of "I did a thing and now it's like Groundhog day where everyone just asks the same things and nobody bothers to ask me something that shows they even care"... which is one of the great illusion breakers for a lot of people who get overnight stardom from something they did out of love.
I might be imagining this because I barely remember this, but I have a vague recollection of a Sentai actor once saying they got some advice which was basically "you're gonna be asked the same questions over and over, but you just need to smile and go with it because for that person it's their first time, so you don't wanna seem like they're annoying you".
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I think I have figured out this show. The super sentai producers got pissed at the Kamen Rider producers for the lame Super Sentai rip off Saber so they decided to do a lame Kamen Rider Zio rip off. We have the Time Jackers who are creating Another Rangers who rampage so the heroes have to defeat them so they (or Another Kaito) can get the sentai gear/rider watch. Only the Another Rangers don't have their season date stamped on their bodies. Will the end of the season have the main cast joining OniSister at her high school after a reset? Will Jin have a weird catch phrase like "Rejoice!"?

I think it would be great if OniSister was the POV for most of the series, similar to the way that Asumu was the POV for Kamen Rider Hibiki even though he wasn't even a rider. Also, they could go Fushigi Yuugi on us and make the season a reverse harem with all of the male leads being good friends or romantic interests to the main female.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Do Revice too.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

resop2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:46 am I think it would be great if OniSister was the POV for most of the series
Agree with this. It felt fresh, and I certainly hope they continue with it. Probably related, but I didn't like the Tarou guy at all! I didn't like his appearance and I didn't like his personality- even when he wasn't the main character in this episode and we didn't get to see him for the most part.

And my God, the CGI for the the two animated rangers look TERRIBLE. CGI is not a problem, because the mecha fight scenes where everything was CGI didn't actually feel out of place. But when they're just pasting a 3D animated character on a proper real-life environment like that... it just doesn't work. At least put some shadows!!
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

msf232 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:15 am
resop2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:46 am I think it would be great if OniSister was the POV for most of the series
Agree with this. It felt fresh, and I certainly hope they continue with it. Probably related, but I didn't like the Tarou guy at all! I didn't like his appearance and I didn't like his personality- even when he wasn't the main character in this episode and we didn't get to see him for the most part.
I have to third this notion. I mean, in the 47 years of Super Sentai, the show's never had a character as the narrator. Since she's a manga-ka, it would be incredibly fitting for us to find out at the end of the show that she's actually writing all of this (they sort of did this in KR, but I don't remember which series... it was Heisei Phase II, though). It also takes some of the focus away from Red, which is traditionally the focal point with the exception of member-focused episodes.

I could also go for an Animoprphs-style setup where every episode (or couple of episodes) is "narrated" by a different sentai member, even if the story isn't directly about them. For example, maybe Pink is the POV for an episode about Black having an addiction issue when they face a catnip-powered MotW.

As for the bad CGI, TOEI unfortunately doesn't believe in quality when it comes to CG effects. I don't remember a single show where they made proper use of lighting and shadows, or where the greenscreening or post-production effects failed to properly fuse into the shot like PRACs do. Compare KR and SS to the now heavily dated Garo debut series and how much more realistic the CGI was in that show (despite the overall resolution being inferior due to budget and tech constraints).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Ashki wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:08 pm I have to third this notion. I mean, in the 47 years of Super Sentai, the show's never had a character as the narrator. Since she's a manga-ka, it would be incredibly fitting for us to find out at the end of the show that she's actually writing all of this
Damn, I think you just called how this series is going to end
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:14 pm
Ashki wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:08 pm I have to third this notion. I mean, in the 47 years of Super Sentai, the show's never had a character as the narrator. Since she's a manga-ka, it would be incredibly fitting for us to find out at the end of the show that she's actually writing all of this
Damn, I think you just called how this series is going to end
so it'll probably end with her in a bookstore advertising their adventures as a new original manga to get either her award back or another award?

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”